Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did 180miles on the XDS yesterday. I made the same trip a couple times on my Gen2.
Obviously, cruising on the highway is much more comfortable on the XDS. I would like mid pegs to switch back and forth though.
Twisties are just as fun on both. The XDS has more vroom down low though. Lean angle for me isn't an issue as I have only scraped once on Gen2.
Seat comfort is good on both but fatigue is different between the two. On the Gen2, it was in the groin area. On the XDS, it is on the tailbone.
Cruise control is awesome on the XDS!!! Having the ability to set it at 85mph and free the hand for a shake to warm up and get blood flowing is awesome. Also, accelerating to 110mph and letting up, it regulates itself back to 85. Good stuff.
Lights are better on the XDS on dark roads and the blinker works perfectly. Plus, the blinker self cancels on curves and times out on straight always.
The Gen2 seems to like going from 110mph and up better than the XDS and is much more stable at 120mph and up. I may need to check wheel balance on the XDS.
Posture is more natural on the XDS but at speeds above 100mph, the feet seem to rise and more effort is needed to achieve the safe feel of sport riding.
Storage under the seat is nill and I haven't found where to hook the helmet strap yet.
Fuel range is awesome on the XDS as the tank is larger and actually gets a little better mileage. This means a lot when traveling.
The display in full mode is great with time, fuel, speed, gear, RPM's, air temp, range, mode, and even tells me who is texting or calling so I can pull over and take it.
Suspension is about the same once you tune them. The XDS does bottom out sooner though it seems with my 210lbs butt.
Wind resistance, bike movement and buffeting seems worse on the XDS at highway speeds and higher. The ride is smooth on both though below 100mph. The XDS actually feels lighter and more nimble at times even though it is heavier and longer.
In my opinion, the XDS is more stylish and better looking than the Gen2 but I love them both for being different and awesome machines.
In conclusion, the reason I traded in the Gen2 that I put 13000miles on in 1.5yr payed off as I got what I was looking for in the XDS when I first bought the Gen2. Others may feel differently but the unique Italian cruiser is my dream machine. Now I just need Termis as this thing is too quiet!!!

·
Bullshit Artiste'
1,599 Posts
Does sound like Ducati have made some real progress with this bike.

It's a while back now and the "don't call me a cruiser" advertising scrubbed a lot of it away, but they did imply the original Diavel was their version of a cruiser didn't they?

I guess trying to convince people Ducati could make bikes that weren't a "big red thing with a fairing" (what everyone seems to think I am talking about when I say I have sold my HD and bought a Duc) in one jump would have been too much of a stretch...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I picked up my XDS last Wednesday and then put 1200km (800miles) on it over a 3 day weekend of hitting many of my states best twisties. To say it was a blast is an understatement. Agree with everything Thiz11 said. This bike is no cruiser, forward controls/big back tyre or not. IMO it is a sports bike with a more laid back posture. (Alby - I am glad they pulled back from the cruiser ads!). I was tipping it over in many corners but never scraped a peg. -chicken strips on the rear tyre all gone - even though I was still running it in and keeping under 6000rpm.
Cruise control was great over the weekend - high speed on the long stretches, but particularly as you hit the lower speed limits coming into towns - much better to set it to 60km/h after spending the last hour well over 100km/h.
One thing I have noticed is the standard pipes are now giving a nice bit of burbling/popping on the overrun - a bit of extra noise is welcome as I can't justify the Termi.
The heat from under the seat was noticeable but not unpleasant - it will be nice for winter, but I am not looking forward to an Australian summer - might consider a bit of black sheepskin as a bit of added insulation.
Thiz11 - the helmet cable seems to fit over a little lug under the pillion seat - it left about a 10cm loop poking out from the pillion - I have put a lock on the cable (as you are not going to remove the pillion seat to lock a helmet on!) Bit of a pain not having proper helmet lock and not many places to attach my carabiner style combo helmet lock (except on the backrest, which I put on for the trip).

Thiz11 -thanks for a great post (..and hope I am not hijacking it with my own comments).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up my XDS last Wednesday and then put 1200km (800miles) on it over a 3 day weekend of hitting many of my states best twisties. To say it was a blast is an understatement. Agree with everything Thiz11 said. This bike is no cruiser, forward controls/big back tyre or not. IMO it is a sports bike with a more laid back posture. (Alby - I am glad they pulled back from the cruiser ads!). I was tipping it over in many corners but never scraped a peg. -chicken strips on the rear tyre all gone - even though I was still running it in and keeping under 6000rpm.
Cruise control was great over the weekend - high speed on the long stretches, but particularly as you hit the lower speed limits coming into towns - much better to set it to 60km/h after spending the last hour well over 100km/h.
One thing I have noticed is the standard pipes are now giving a nice bit of burbling/popping on the overrun - a bit of extra noise is welcome as I can't justify the Termi.
The heat from under the seat was noticeable but not unpleasant - it will be nice for winter, but I am not looking forward to an Australian summer - might consider a bit of black sheepskin as a bit of added insulation.
Thiz11 - the helmet cable seems to fit over a little lug under the pillion seat - it left about a 10cm loop poking out from the pillion - I have put a lock on the cable (as you are not going to remove the pillion seat to lock a helmet on!) Bit of a pain not having proper helmet lock and not many places to attach my carabiner style combo helmet lock (except on the backrest, which I put on for the trip).

Thiz11 -thanks for a great post (..and hope I am not hijacking it with my own comments).
Great stuff! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Cruise control is awesome on the XDS!!! Having the ability to set it at 85mph and free the hand for a shake to warm up and get blood flowing is awesome. Also, accelerating to 110mph and letting up, it regulates itself back to 85. Good stuff.

@ Thiz11

Please, at Interstate speeds (75mph-on up) ALWAYS be careful of upcoming road conditions with only one hand holding handlebars.

Mid-eighties riding my Suzuki GS1100ES at night time, myself and a few buddies cruising about 85mph on Interstate 10.
All of the sudden a bug splattered on face shield. Immediately used my left hand to wipe the bug off. About a second after that, I ran across some substandard patch work on the roadway with only right hand holding handlebar.
Guess we know what happened after that??? After the first bounce, out of control...Hi-Speed fork WOBBLE...Not a damn thing I could've done, but bite the dust.

All my point is, if I had only known about that goddamn patchwork just up ahead.....

safe/calm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts