Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my oil change today before I put the bike in storage. This time I went with liqui-moly instead of the recommended oil from ducati(shell). Read great reviews on it. Winter is coming, lol. Anyways back to topic. When I was putting the used oil back into the container, I've noticed I've only filled half of the 4 litre liqui moly container. I was like WTF, when I did the oil change prior to storage last year I ended up using the whole 4 litres, I was using shell 5W-50 full synthetic. Am I missing something? I've read on the Diavel 1260S side oil consumption of 1 litre at about 2000 miles and is common for the DVT engine. I'm roughly at 4800Km. If that's the case I might have to buy extra oil when riding season starts. Anyone else notice oil consumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine does, 0.75 litre at 8000 km approximately, I'm always checking oil level just in case, dealer said it's normal...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does, 0.75 litre at 8000 km approximately, I'm always checking oil level just in case, dealer said it's normal...
That's good to know meb11481, guess I'll be stocking up on oil for the next following riding season. Last thing I would hate to happen is if I end up riding without any oil in the engine, going to be an expensive repair

·
Registered
34 Posts
2500km since my last oil change. Added 350ml to bring it back up to full. Using Motul 5100 15w50 going to try Motul 300v at next service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Motul 5100 is a semi synthetic and the specs are for a fully synthetic oil like a 7100
Ducati recommends you use Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 oil. As an alternative it is
possible to use a motorcycle engine oil having the same degree SAE 15W-50 and
meeting the following specifications JASO: MA2 and API: SM.

Although Shell Advance 4T Ultra is full synthetic there is no mention that an alternative must be full synthetic.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Ducati recommends Shell only because they have a marketing agreement. There is nothing magical about Shell Advance. Any oil that meets the spec will do fine.

Oh, and BTW, Ducati also recommends that you check your oil level frequently, and keep it between the min and max marks. Oil change time is not the time to think about this.

[scold mode off]

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ducati recommends Shell only because they have a marketing agreement. There is nothing magical about Shell Advance. Any oil that meets the spec will do fine.

Oh, and BTW, Ducati also recommends that you check your oil level frequently, and keep it between the min and max marks. Oil change time is not the time to think about this.

[scold mode off]
Thanks ReidMct, for next time I will know. I was just surprised how much oil I've lost with roughly 4800KM of riding

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ducati recommends you use Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 oil. As an alternative it is

Although Shell Advance 4T Ultra is full synthetic there is no mention that an alternative must be full synthetic.
yes you are 100% correct there is no mention in the owners or even the service manual that it has to be fully synthetic. Mind you personally I always opt for the best top quality stuff

·
Registered
880 Posts

yes you are 100% correct there is no mention in the owners or even the service manual that it has to be fully synthetic. Mind you personally I always opt for the best top quality stuff

·
Registered
150 Posts
2500km since my last oil change. Added 350ml to bring it back up to full. Using Motul 5100 15w50 going to try Motul 300v at next service.
I wouldn't recommend 300v.
Tried few years back and the engine got nosier.
After adding full synthetic Mototex 15W50 all back to normal. Not eating oil at all with both brands tho.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, bringing this topic back from the dead. Dealership did my oil change at the end of April 2021. Decided to do my oil change today and I went with a k&n filter and motul 300V, neat how the oil is Green. Upon finishing and putting the used oil in the motul container. I was able to fill it up to 2 litres. I was able to put about 5000kms this riding season. So at least I know my bike is consistent with oil consumption or maybe because my bike loves to burn the shell advance oil, lmao. Maybe might need to do my oil changes twice a year to keep it topped off

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 2016. I usually have to add a quart before next service interval. I run the shell as well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a 2016. I usually have to add a quart before next service interval. I run the shell as well.
Good to know and thanks, since moving to motul 300V, I noticed smoother shifts and love the color of the oil. Since it's not made to be used for longer intervals I'll just change my oil twice during the riding season instead of having to top off fluids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts