Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XDiavel
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have their tank and/or belly spoiler or solo seat cowl wrapped? If so, send some pictures of your rides!

From what I understand its not the easiest thing to wrap a tank (all in one piece) and from my experience (paying a professional to wrap my R9T tank "picture below"), it looks great but just doesn't hold without coming up on the edges, especially in hot climates..such a great idea, as cost affectively, you can literally change out the whole look of your bike every year!

Has anyone been successful in wrapping your tank in two pieces (leaving a stripe down the middle), I thought that may hold?

Thanks in advance

This is Avery Dennison (Brushed Aluminum) it looked amazing, like textured metal !
Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Input device

·
Registered
943 Posts

I got several pieces wrapped early 2020 during the pandemic. Color was Avery Dennison rising sun. Paid about $650CAD all in all, the wrap looked pretty good. They where able to wrap the tank with one piece, he told me it was a PITA but he was able to do it. Only issue I had is there was a piece of hair in the wrap 5 inches from the gas cap. I told him about it but couldn't do anything as this would mean he would have to redo the wrap. Also upon install of the tank to the bike, the wrap underneath the tank was loose. Took it back and they where able to fix it. What they ended up doing is they put tape around the ends and it held up quite well. Had the tank wrapped for a little over the year, the bottom belly fender started to come lose and didn't stick anymore. Took it off this year in early March as the wrap to me felt cheap. Got my bike painted this year with only the tank and rear. Shop did a better job and was much cheaper than the wrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 XDiavel
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DucaRicardo,

thanks for sharing! Glad to see that it can be done. Do you happen to have any pictures of the bike with the wrapped parts on? Also the bike looks great in that gunmetal color, does it match the trellis frame color?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just did some details on my bike, white on the side of the tank and some italian flags, but I have had a couple of cars done as well over the years.

It's hard to get the wrap to stick when there is lots of curves in different directions, so you will probably end up with joints here and there. If you heat it and put it on regardless, you may end up with a wrap that lets go in the middle of a curve.
The company I use has an edge sealer they use on exposed edges to make sure the wrap doesn't peel, but I haven't used any of that on my bike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
943 Posts
DucaRicardo,

thanks for sharing! Glad to see that it can be done. Do you happen to have any pictures of the bike with the wrapped parts on? Also the bike looks great in that gunmetal color, does it match the trellis frame color?

Thanks, he said it was a pain but it can be done in one piece. The color I went with is a Chrysler color, along the lines of Audi's nardo grey but just a little darker. Also didn't want to go that route as I see quite a few cars with that color. It's a lighter shade to the trellis frame but I'll take it

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just did some details on my bike, white on the side of the tank and some italian flags, but I have had a couple of cars done as well over the years.

It's hard to get the wrap to stick when there is lots of curves in different directions, so you will probably end up with joints here and there. If you heat it and put it on regardless, you may end up with a wrap that lets go in the middle of a curve.
The company I use has an edge sealer they use on exposed edges to make sure the wrap doesn't peel, but I haven't used any of that on my bike. View attachment 111467
Very nice bike Noggie!! Now take off those silencers lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice bike Noggie!! Now take off those silencers lol

Thanks. I wanted to protect the tank from rubbing, but did not want grip pads so I went with with a white wrap that can be polished.
Also went with a wrap in the wheels.
Currently I have a red test wrap on the indicator pods (wrong shade), but not sure I want to go red, might go gloss black and put a vinyl number or something, been thinking of the classic Ducati 77 logo as it happens to be my birth year.

I never had the silencers off, think its plenty loud with them installed.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well Noggie, your in for a rude awakening when you do decide to take off the silencers. You think it's loud now, take it off and the bike will sound and feel possessed, lmao

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all, i did my XDiavel parts: rear hugger, beltguard the big and small piece, the beltcover rigjtside and the small cover and the middlecover and radiator cover both sides and headlightcover and more small things first with hyperdip pianoblack and was nice and take it off and then did it with Superwrap vinyl spray glossblack, i think it looks very nice like real paint and i can take it off anytime if i sell the bike or so. The Superwrap aerosol’s gloss black has the nicest look and i tryed many brands like plastidip but that is rubberbased and the Superwrap is liquid vinyl and that looks like real paint

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi all, i did my XDiavel parts: rear hugger, beltguard the big and small piece, the beltcover rigjtside and the small cover and the middlecover and radiator cover both sides and headlightcover and more small things first with hyperdip pianoblack and was nice and take it off and then did it with Superwrap vinyl spray glossblack, i think it looks very nice like real paint and i can take it off anytime if i sell the bike or so. The Superwrap aerosol’s gloss black has the nicest look and i tryed many brands like plastidip but that is rubberbased and the Superwrap is liquid vinyl and that looks like real paint

You are using spray wrap, so with proper prep and spray it’s alot easier to do compared to real vinyl wrap so there is no comparison. I’ve been on both spectrums of wrap and paint and hands down a real paint is the way to go. Wouldn’t even touch plastidip, looks cheap IMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are using spray wrap, so with proper prep and spray it’s alot easier to do compared to real vinyl wrap so there is no comparison. I’ve been on both spectrums of wrap and paint and hands down a real paint is the way to go. Wouldn’t even touch plastidip, looks cheap IMO

Yes the rubber based products like plastidip look cheap but the Superwrap is very different, much smoother and is vinyl, but real paint is the best, i think so to

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes the rubber based products like plastidip look cheap but the Superwrap is very different, much smoother and is vinyl, but real paint is the best, i think so to

That’s good to know though, it was my first time getting a vinyl wrap and I was traumatized by the shitty workmanship. I opted to get it professionally done cause I did try to do it myself and it was a PITA. I was not aware you can get the vinyl wrap in liquid form. Good to know and keep that in mind in the future

·
Registered
2016 XDiavel
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks, he said it was a pain but it can be done in one piece. The color I went with is a Chrysler color, along the lines of Audi's nardo grey but just a little darker. Also didn't want to go that route as I see quite a few cars with that color. It's a lighter shade to the trellis frame but I'll take it

Very nice dark grey color, seems it would go well with carbon fiber parts too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts