Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what does it take to hit the rev limiter in each gear? Our open speed limit is 110 and I can do that in first, I can do double that in 4th before it hits the limiter (must have been the racetrack for those in the law enforcement game as I am a law abiding citizen at heart), so what does it take to hit it in each gear for your bike?

Reactions: Adoligy

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Haven't paid attention to speed but I've definitely hit it a few times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sit on the bike with the kickstand up. Start the bike and put it in first. Slowly drive on to the road and twist the throttle all the way open. Do let up under any circumstances till the mother stops revving. You have now hit the rev limiter. Wa La!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheeky buggars... I was interested to know what speed in what gear and blips aren't good enough... has to be a constant speed. I don't really want to try seeing what it can go to faster than what I did and yet I still have 2 gears left.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
When I did the CSS with their 600 suzis I was determined to bounce it of the limiter all day, couldn't do it think I only hit the limiter once!
must be my soft hearted nature ;)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
162mph in 6th and you're hovering just under it with stock gearing.
mph... that's certainly hooking along faster than I want to go. Thanks General Lee... what about the other gears? How far does pushing them out to the max take you. I was really surprised to be able to still be in first at 110km/hr.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Find the gear ratios and do some simple maths.
Well that makes as much sense as saying that the government runs the country. Have no idea what you are talking about dicknose but I am sure you do. I'm a practical person, just interested to know if there is a difference between bikes and tuning and what the maximum speed in each gear is

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
Gearing is a constant. The only difference between bikes would be the with the ones who have changed sprockets.
And then of course, top speed in top gear would vary depending on actual hp, actual weight and aerodynamic differences too.
I doubt anyone gets to redline in sixth on a bike with standard gearing, unless it's down a big hill or with a very stiff breeze from behind.
C'mon someone, get the results from that 'gearing' website and post up the theoretical top speeds for each gear for Wahoo.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

1st - 55.2 mph
2nd - 77.1 mph
3rd - 100.8 mph
4th - 124.7 mph
5th - 142 mph
6th - 154.6 mph

Keep in mind those are actual speeds listed, not 'indicated'. That's why we have people reporting doing speeds in excess of what the Diavel is geared to do. Speedo may say 162, but you're actually close to 155. Most cars and bikes are about 5% off or more.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
GenLee, that is the sort of thing I was talking about.
But those speeds were for 9500rpm, not redline.

Wahoo, tuning and mods don't change this unless they are to gearing or tyre size

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys... exactly the base info I was after
When you think of our speed limit, it is no wonder the opportunity to hit 6th doesn't happen much.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
175.8 isn't happening in 6th, and I was pretty close to redline in 6th at 162, but here are the revised 10,800rpm numbers from that site.

1st - 62.7
2nd - 87.6
3rd - 114.6
4th - 141.8
5th - 161.4
6th - 175.8

I was definitely not hitting 161 in 5th.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts