Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 4513 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Installed the Tune Boy software, Quickshifter and cruise control. Cant wait to take it for a squirt tomorrow and feel the difference... Anyone got any custom maps they want to share?. Cheers

·
A White Carbon is NOT an AMG
2,421 Posts
Installed the Tune Boy software, Quickshifter and cruise control. Cant wait to take it for a squirt tomorrow and feel the difference... Anyone got any custom maps they want to share?. Cheers
If you have a Gen1 coops map is considered pretty thorough and a great starting point as a canned map. do a search it's here somewhere.

If you have a Gen2 ignore that....

·
2,421 Posts
I dicked around with my clutch today, getting the pack height right, swapping the slave cylinder back to stock, the EVR one i put on just doesn't seem to work for my bike.

Got it sorted in the end and had a blast riding my test loop to confirm it, need a new rear tyre though, the T/C was working overtime.....

·
2,421 Posts
Let me know how get on with your QS, i'm wanting one for mine. The CC i have and it's brilliant.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Let me know how get on with your QS, i'm wanting one for mine. The CC i have and it's brilliant.
Local dyno shop had a dyno day. Tried 3 maps/trims. Coops, fisharcher and trim 4 termi no DB killers provided by TB. ( Thanks RedP for emailing the maps)
Coops map was marginally better, then trim 4 termi no DB killers then last was the fisharcher. Mines a 2011. I will use Coops as a starting Point..
QS works seamlessly. I have aftermarket rearsets so I am gonna fiddle with the linkage placement as it takes a considerable amount more pressure to operate than the power commander QS I have on my CBR1000RR.
I know they are different bikes and Honda's are buttery smooth but I reckon I can improve the Diavels QS.

Anyone else running a Tune boy QS and find it needs a strong input to operate it?

·
2,421 Posts
Nice one!

Coops map was written by his local dyne guy who did a LOT of work on low speed running so i'm not surprised it worked out the best for you.

I have a HM quick shifter on my track CBR600RR and find it needed a lot of adjustment but mainly due to the pivot point, i have DP rear sets on mine so i'm curious to see how you get on.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice one!

Coops map was written by his local dyne guy who did a LOT of work on low speed running so i'm not surprised it worked out the best for you.

I have a HM quick shifter on my track CBR600RR and find it needed a lot of adjustment but mainly due to the pivot point, i have DP rear sets on mine so i'm curious to see how you get on.....
My CBR is in GP shift gonna change the Diavel to the same and see if that makes a difference. As well as tweek the linkage angle.
Compared my results to yours you posted on here. Yours had more top end but mine had 20hp (120hp) more at 6k rpm. As it was only a power run it was dyno speed no sniffer up the clacker so how accurate it was Is anyone's guess. No AFR or torque figures.
In comparison my CBR had 80 hp at 6k rpm.
All bikes where run in 4th gear.

·
2,421 Posts
My CBR is in GP shift gonna change the Diavel to the same and see if that makes a difference. As well as tweek the linkage angle.
Compared my results to yours you posted on here. Yours had more top end but mine had 20hp (120hp) more at 6k rpm. As it was only a power run it was dyno speed no sniffer up the clacker so how accurate it was Is anyone's guess. No AFR or torque figures.
In comparison my CBR had 80 hp at 6k rpm.
All bikes where run in 4th gear.
You sure you're reading that right? mine makes 95hp @ 6000rpm and shows a 5hp improvement over stock, 20 more on that is massive! my graph makes good gains everywhere along the map but the shape of the curve remains pretty close which you would expect from no big changes. Biggest improvement i got was 8hp @ 8000rpm with a peak of 155.5hp

·
2,421 Posts
See below pic of my 3 power runs.
Red is coops trim.
Green is termi no DB TB supplied.
Blue is fisharcher.
All done one after the other.
Lacking top end HP compared to yours Cropduster. Wonder if yours was done in a higher gear?
well that is interesting, obviously the number is irrelevant because all dyno's do read different but the shape of the graph is usually the same from one to the next, yours makes more power everywhere but seems to fall flat at 8k, which seems a bit early to me but might be worth looking for some other graphs to see what other bikes do. Mine was run in 4th as is the norm

Mine on the other hand takes off at 8k, making significantly more power at the top end, and i can say the top end is a lot of fun, and it's no slouch anywhere else so your torque monster must be so grunty!
What i do know is the AMG (which mine is) has the cams timed in by hand, what the actual lobe centres are i haven't checked, but i might now, yours may have the cams as std, ie, set anywhere, i've seen them 14 degrees out between F&R cylinders, or if you bought it second hand, it may have had the cams dialled in with the customers request to make it a mid range torque monster, which i'm guessing is more likely, those midrange numbers are very impressive.

There is a suspicion by some that the AMG gets different cams from the std Diavels but frankly, i doubt that, there are only a few Testastretta grinds and as far as i know only one for the 11 degree engine so i'd suggest ours are timed correctly just with a different outcome in mind.

Is yours a second hand bike?
You're in Melbourne right?
Looking at your graph if it is i'd almost bet the house that Brad did that cam timing.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
well that is interesting, obviously the number is irrelevant because all dyno's do read different but the shape of the graph is usually the same from one to the next, yours makes more power everywhere but seems to fall flat at 8k, which seems a bit early to me but might be worth looking for some other graphs to see what other bikes do. Mine was run in 4th as is the norm

Mine on the other hand takes off at 8k, making significantly more power at the top end, and i can say the top end is a lot of fun, and it's no slouch anywhere else so your torque monster must be so grunty!
What i do know is the AMG (which mine is) has the cams timed in by hand, what the actual lobe centres are i haven't checked, but i might now, yours may have the cams as std, ie, set anywhere, i've seen them 14 degrees out between F&R cylinders, or if you bought it second hand, it may have had the cams dialled in with the customers request to make it a mid range torque monster, which i'm guessing is more likely, those midrange numbers are very impressive.

There is a suspicion by some that the AMG gets different cams from the std Diavels but frankly, i doubt that, there are only a few Testastretta grinds and as far as i know only one for the 11 degree engine so i'd suggest ours are timed correctly just with a different outcome in mind.

Is yours a second hand bike?
You're in Melbourne right?
Looking at your graph if it is i'd almost bet the house that Brad did that cam timing.....
I was a little disappointed at the end HP figure TBH. I bought it secondhand from SA. It had only done 3.5k kms. The previous owner later let me in on some details about the bike that had been done. This is a portion of the message he sent through after the sale "Some early ones also had gearbox issues.
I never told you, but the outcome was a bonus.
Only had 1000 kms on it and it used to fall out of 2nd gear on the over run. Turns out plenty did. It was a selector drum issue.
Motor came out, new selector drum, 2nd and 5th gear.
While it was out I had head ports polished, all manifolds match ported and crank balanced and shimmed perfectly. Unlike from the factory. Basically what they call a blue printed motor" this helps explain the high mid range torque. Admittedly I am unable to confirm this work has been done unless I strip down the bike.
Next step is to get a custom tune and see how much they can improve it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was a little disappointed at the end HP figure TBH. I bought it secondhand from SA. It had only done 3.5k kms. The previous owner later let me in on some details about the bike that had been done. This is a portion of the message he sent through after the sale "Some early ones also had gearbox issues.
I never told you, but the outcome was a bonus.
Only had 1000 kms on it and it used to fall out of 2nd gear on the over run. Turns out plenty did. It was a selector drum issue.
Motor came out, new selector drum, 2nd and 5th gear.
While it was out I had head ports polished, all manifolds match ported and crank balanced and shimmed perfectly. Unlike from the factory. Basically what they call a blue printed motor" this helps explain the high mid range torque. Admittedly I am unable to confirm this work has been done unless I strip down the bike.
Next step is to get a custom tune and see how much they can improve it.
It has a smaller front sprocket as well. This thing wheelies in 3rd gear at 8k rpm.

·
2,421 Posts
The 2nd gear issue is quite common unfortunately, dunno about "Blueprinting" that's a very over used term, the actual work involved to truly blueprint an engine is huge, nothing wrong with port matching but porting the heads would be a red flag to me, these days they're pretty good, certainly not like an old Holden red motor, it's easier to tune it to a standstill than to make more power..... polishing ports is old school and not usually done anymore, it's considered a coarse port wall allows better fuel atomisation on the inlet side, and the exhaust will be coated in soot anyway.
Shimming the crank is mandatory if you split the cases, which would have needed to be done to fix the box,

Looking at the three maps in it and how similar they are i'm betting you will be lucky to see much of an improvement from the tune, if i were you i'd speak to someone like Brad Black and ask him to look at the cam timing, that's the likely culprit for the peak HP being so low in the RPM range, but you get nothing for free, if you change the cam timing for more peak power you will surely lose the massive midrange, the internal tidying up (except the porting i'll assume) would help with a little more everywhere but the efficiency would multiply by RPM so you will likely see the most improvement up top.

Do you know who did the work?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 2nd gear issue is quite common unfortunately, dunno about "Blueprinting" that's a very over used term, the actual work involved to truly blueprint an engine is huge, nothing wrong with port matching but porting the heads would be a red flag to me, these days they're pretty good, certainly not like an old Holden red motor, it's easier to tune it to a standstill than to make more power.....

Looking at the three maps in it and how similar they are i'm betting you will be lucky to see much of an improvement from the tune, if i were you i'd speak to someone like Brad Black and ask him to look at the cam timing, that's the likely culprit for the peak HP being so low in the RPM range, but you get nothing for free, if you change the cam timing for more peak power you will surely lose the massive midrange, the internal tidying up (except the porting i'll assume) would help with a little more everywhere but the efficiency would multiply by RPM so you will likely see the most improvement up top.
Cheers for the response. I enjoy buying, servicing and modding bikes. Just a tinkerer for my own enjoyment. Not a technical guru like a few blokes on here. I appreciate all the feedback you have given. The bike has made a significant jump in the seat of the pants dyno. Not too mention the QS and cruise control with the TB. Good investment in my mind. Gonna put some more kms on it before moving further with it. I enjoy it for what it is and own other bikes to suit different riding styles. A completely different riding experience compared to my CBR1000RR... Alot more comfortable to say the least.
Cheers Crop!!!

·
2,421 Posts
Cheers for the response. I enjoy buying, servicing and modding bikes. Just a tinkerer for my own enjoyment. Not a technical guru like a few blokes on here. I appreciate all the feedback you have given. The bike has made a significant jump in the seat of the pants dyno. Not too mention the QS and cruise control with the TB. Good investment in my mind. Gonna put some more kms on it before moving further with it. I enjoy it for what it is and own other bikes to suit different riding styles. A completely different riding experience compared to my CBR1000RR... Alot more comfortable to say the least.
Cheers Crop!!!
No worries,
Would have been good to see a before graph as well as coops, i'm betting the QS is a blast, i'm looking forward to putting it on mine, the downshift blipper will be fun with hooning around too!

You never know until you actually do it and every engine is different but knowing how much effort went into that tune file of coops i wonder if it will be a benefit worth the money, if you decide to change the cam timing definitely do that before changing the tune.

good luck with it mate, it sounds like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
136 Posts
No worries,
Would have been good to see a before graph as well as coops, i'm betting the QS is a blast, i'm looking forward to putting it on mine, the downshift blipper will be fun with hooning around too!

You never know until you actually do it and every engine is different but knowing how much effort went into that tune file of coops i wonder if it will be a benefit worth the money, if you decide to change the cam timing definitely do that before changing the tune.

good luck with it mate, it sounds like a lot of fun!
Just for shits and giggles I have attached a photo of the results of the dyno day. My little 2011 CBR beat a 2017 CBR....Stoked with that. I tried to argue that my Diavel should have been in the cruiser section. Buuut.... the cruiser crowd cracked the shits.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 2nd gear issue is quite common unfortunately, dunno about "Blueprinting" that's a very over used term, the actual work involved to truly blueprint an engine is huge, nothing wrong with port matching but porting the heads would be a red flag to me, these days they're pretty good, certainly not like an old Holden red motor, it's easier to tune it to a standstill than to make more power..... polishing ports is old school and not usually done anymore, it's considered a coarse port wall allows better fuel atomisation on the inlet side, and the exhaust will be coated in soot anyway.
Shimming the crank is mandatory if you split the cases, which would have needed to be done to fix the box,

Do you know who did the work?
Have gone back though my messages ..Apparently work was done by Pablo Real a local ducati mechanic in SA. The fella that owned it had a collection of bikes including a Paul Smart.

4461 - 4480 of 4513 Posts