Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I thought it would be useful to have a thread that lists the weights of commonly replaced/removed/modified parts along with the weights of the most common replacements. I find this is sometimes revealing - I was surprised the stock exhaust is so heavy. The Diavel will never be a Superleggera, but that may mean there are very easy ways to shed a few pounds from the the weight of the factory bike.

Stock item weights:
  • Exhaust Slip-On (Gen 1) - 18+/-1 lbs / 8.2+/-0.4 kg
  • Exhaust Slip-On (Gen 2) - 16.5 lbs / 7.5 kg
  • Battery - 8.87 lb / 4.02 kg
  • Trellis Frame License Plate Mount - 2.67 lbs / 1.21 kg
  • Rear Fender - 1.44 lb / 0.651 kg
  • Rear Mud Guard (under plate) - 0.70 lb / 0.318 kg
  • Rear Brake Reservoir - 0.13 lb / 0.060 kg
  • Mirror (per side) - 0.77 lb / 0.350 kg
Common upgrades/replacements:
  • Arrow Carbon Fiber Slip-On Exhaust - 5.5 lb / 2.5 kg
  • Shorai 4S2P 60Wh Lithium Ion Battery - 1.89 lb / 0.86 kg
  • Ballistic Battery - 1 lb / 0.4 kg
  • Ohlins Rear Shock Assembly - 6.519 lb / 2.957 kg
  • Ducati Performance Side Mount License Plate Mount - 1 lb / 0.4 kg
  • Rizoma Plate Holder - 1.71 lb / 0.77 kg
  • Motocorse Front Headlight Cowl (Round) - 0.49 lb / 0.223 kg
  • Motocorse Carbon Instrument Panel - 0.41 lb / 0.184 kg
  • Motocorse Carbon Rear Fender - 0.47 lb / 0.214 kg
  • Motocorse Carbon Rear Mud Guard - 0.16 lb / 0.074 kg
  • Motocorse Carbon Swingarm Cover - 0.31 lb / 0.140 kg
  • Motocorse Titanium Wheel Lug - 0.154 lb / 0.070 kg
  • CNC Racing Oil Cap - 0.026 lb / 0.012 kg
  • CNC Racing Titanium Sprocket Holder Nuts (set of 6) - 0.077 lb / 0.035 kg
  • Tuneboy Powershifter (Incl. Shift Rod) - 0.152 lb / 0.069 kg
Please add additional or more accurate part weights, and bonus points if you have a photo of the measurement being taken. I'll try to update this post to include future additions, and any mods that want to do that for me, please go for it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been thinking of such weights as well but I'm more interested in how much the carbon fiber bits save over the metal and plastic ones.
Yeah, me too. I'll be surprised if it's significant, but I'd like to see numbers that prove me wrong! On modern motor vehicles, replacing steel parts often can offer significant weight savings, but aluminum isn't terribly heavy unless it's significantly overdesigned, so gains there are smaller. Replacing plastic parts with equivalent carbon parts is usually cosmetic.

I expect the most significant gains will be the usual suspects, changing the stock battery and exhaust system, and simply removing functional but unneccessary components (i.e. fairings and covers). I'm also curious about the weights of unnecessary parts and regional parts like the exhaust valve assembly, US evap can, AU extra mudflap, and so on. I don't think it's much, but they can be removed without cost or real consequence (provided it's legal) if the owner has a bit of spare time.

Anything really extreme implies to me that the owner would do well to consider a second bike, but I'm all for the easy stuff. I'll drop that exhaust before I go on a diet!

·
Registered
107 Posts
All you have to do is compare the standard to the carbon on the Ducati website, Standard dry weight is 463lbs and Carbon is 452. Mind this is just the factory bikes, there are more parts you can swap out but the weight difference isn't much. Just lose a few lbs of fat.

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
The Carbon bikes have got the lighter forged wheels too, so it just shows that the weight saving of the CF is even less significant!

·
Registered
705 Posts
very interesting info, please keep it coming. thank you.

Losing 10 lbs with a lithium battery is the biggest bang for your buck.. think of how much money you'd spend on titanium bits to lose 10 lbs. on the Diavel.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Replace the air in your tires with nitrogen, and save about 4 grams.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts