Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This short how to is for replacing the headlight H7 and H1 bulbs with LED lamps - these are the new Phillips Lumileds or Luxeon with a space saving heatsink braid se link for Uk stokist

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/h7-philips-luxeon-led-headlight

For the unitiated the whole haedlight shroud and surround including the hadlamp unit coms off with just two bolts underneath, there are other threads detailing this part of the process. I chose to do the mod without disconnecting the wiring as it was a very simple short process. I did however make sure that the housing would support itself on said cabling without undue strain I also made sure there was a soft cloth covering the fender so as mot to scratch anything.

First pic are the tools I used

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Only kidding about the axe thats just a deterrent/back up in case the wife is mad enough to enter the man cave
Pic of cover removed from back of housing again very self explanatory so wont bother with that process

This picture clearly shows the rear of the two bulbs with their respective cables - the H7 has a standard molded 2 pin connector with black/red and white cables the H1 bulb connects via a centre positive cable (yellow/black) and the ground cable again black/red connects to the shell

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The H7 bulb was a tad more tricky due to a larger cable entry mounting see pic - I found that it needed a little fiddle to get in and with the aforementioned man fingers it was easier with some long nose pliers

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
The H1 bulb connections were a tad trickier as the ballasts came with bare wires and the chassis ground was connected to a spade terminal on the housing - the solution was a couple of spade crimps 1 x piggy back seen in this picture and one spade male fitted to the live wire block (this also means that for both lamps if I want to go back the original wiring is not ruined/affected - this enable me to connect the black ground wire on to the spade connector on the housing and THEN the original connector to the additional piggy back - hope you can see this

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
The positive red cable from the ballast then had a spade crimp male added to it that then simply plugged into the original positive connection - I am very much belt and braces and better safe than sorry as you can see I then tightly wrapped some self amalgamating tape (rubber tape that sticks to itself around the whole connection)

similarly I also wrapped this tape around the H7 connector block (seen on bottom rhs of pic marked 5A [but not wrapped in this pic])

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Final operation was to fit the ballasts inside the lamp fitting, as mentioned there was plenty of space for this but snug enough in my mind so as to not rattle around too much - the cables are pretty robust too

as a space saving feature this lamp has braids to cool itself - the manufacturer recommends that you spread or "fan" out the braids as much as possible once fitted - I did this as much as permissible give the space above the fitments as you can see.

this again was a snug fit but when the cover was screwed back on it was not too much of a squeeze

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
reverse fitment of the whole housing later and hey presto all done

these bulbs are not the brightest on the market at 2500 lumens but after testing on the road they are certainly bright enough a major improvement on the halogens - I am having them checked at my local garage tomorrow for alignment they seem to be a really good simile of the light beams emitted from the original just a lot brighter they now make the LED strip look positively yellow

I hope this show and tell is useful I had loads more pics but wanted to keep it short and sweet - this really is a simple mod for anyone who can hold a screwdriver and knows how to use a crimp tool

the benefit of this LED is no fiddling, cutting or bastardization of any sort they simply fit straight into the housing, only one very minor concern for me (I am a worry-er) how much heat is dissipated through the braid but having said that the plastic surrounds for the bulbs is of the same material as the headlamp housing so all should be perfectly fine - I will of course let you know of any further issues

OH YES nearly forgot I cant recall the Blue high beam warning lamp on the dash flashing previously - it does now - it may be a result of a CANBUS error but the lights are working fine and I think the lamp flashing is a benefit - again no expected issues with that but will keep you informed

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks very much for the detailed instructions. You did a great job.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nice alternative to the infamous DDM HID motorcycle kit which I am using now for my H7.

I do notice these bulbs have a slightly higher spec of 40w which is really for cars. Shouldn't be an issue though as the DDM kit is 35w itself. For whatever reason I thought it was 25w. I need another option for my high beam as I couldn't get a second ballast mounted in the housing for that no matter how hard I tried and didn't want to start cutting away on plastic to do so I left the OEM in for now. I may try this.

Report back on how these bulbs handle heat in our housing. I'm curious on that.

I found this kit on Ebay by a Hong Kong seller at a very good price for those interested. Your paying and getting a pair of the same bulb so too bad you can't get one each of the H7 and H1 when you order. That would be killer ! Then for $60 USD you get both bulbs done. That would be an awesome price. This is a car kit though which is why your getting the pair.

http://www.ebay.com/...002de11&vxp=mtr

4300k is the color you want to match the leds in our headlight. That's what Im using on the DDM H7 kit. Excellent match. I'm not seeing leds offered on the market at 4300k that will fit in our housing. Hobb had a set (also 6000k though) he was fitting and then never reported back. These have a higher lumens than the ones he had but his were also only 25w so would run quite a bit cooler but moot point since he never confirmed they fit.

Good job on this.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Great write and thanks for the info! I may try this mod! Just like yours, My concern will be the heat dissipation?

·
Registered
206 Posts
After a run last night I raised the headlamp unit up quite a bit as from my ride they seemed to be low - Well now back from the garage all good on the light test and it will pass an MOT which is obviously important - been riding out for two hours or more and no heat issues whatsoever, even mid day heat (if you can call it that) in town traffic at lights etc - so big thumbs up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice job and write up. I may have to try this also.....thanks for sharing....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts