Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Vertical side mount for plates?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Maddog78 
#1 ·
Bought myself the '15 Dark 2 days ago, haven't stopped riding it, needless to say I'm stoked, can't stop grinning.

Already thinking about the mods though! Has anyone seen or had experience making a vertical side mount? This guy did it in '11, but Shift Tech no longer sells the part and he doesn't explain how he did it. It's my favourite way to tidy up the back so far.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/179-diavel/108827-license-plate-holder.html#post1061291

See less See more
#2 ·
You really need it to be vertical? if not, the Ducati part does the trick very well...

Just asking because... well... in some areas the Smurfs don't really like it when the plate is mounted like that, and they'd love to give you a ticket/fine for it.

#7 ·
Be prepared to remove the real wheel to break the bolts on the stock license plate mount. They are installed from the factory with red loctite. Even with heat I was unable to get the leverage required to break them free with the tire in place. You will need a rear stand and a special tool for the rear axle nut.

I went with the Ducati license plate relocation kit. It looks fairly easy to modify it to a vertical mount.

#11 ·
That is the cleanest way to do it, n1ac! I would have done the very same thing, if it weren't for 2 minor issues here:
1. according to the rulebook (the law), the plate can be at a negative angle but no more than 5° is allowed
2. our plates are so wide, they won't fit between the two tail light of the 'normal' Diavel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.