Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Diavel, Shad bags, Puig Windscreen, T-rex sliders, Tune-boy with quickshifter
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through a spell recently where I almost decided to sell my beloved 2015 Ducati Diavel and instead purchase a Triumph Rocket 3 GT. (Actually, I need to remove the listing on this forum when I'm done here.) It's still tempting, but I think I'd rather get the few upgrades on the Duc that I would get on the Rocket and save myself several thousand dollars.

Key upgrades I'm looking for are cruise control and a quickshifter. My bike is stock and I plan on keeping it that way, as far as exhaust and air filter are concerned. So tuning is not a huge deal to me.

I've been looking at Tune Boy since they offer the 2 big ones that I'm looking for (cruise control and quick shifter). I realize I have to pay for the tuning software to get the quick shifter and I'm OK with that. My concern is that I searched this forum for Tune Boy and there isn't any recent chatter about him, and the most recent threads said that he's hard to reach and slow to respond. I reached out to ask a couple of questions at the beginning of the week and haven't heard anything back. Before I PayPal this guy almost $850, I'd like to know if anyone has recent experience with them, their tunes, and any long-term stories specific to the cruise control and quick shifter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought my 2011 (with 1,900 miles on it :cool:) last summer. It came with the TuneBoy CC and tune kit but the previous owner only added the CC. I researched a bit and found that the consensus of US owners of their products felt that their customer service sucks. I have not contacted them myself. The cruise control is really nice. I use it for short distances while resting my right arm or needing to use my right hand for something like opening or closing a helmet vent I can't reach with my left hand etc. It works like advertised and easy to engage. IMPORTANT: you'll need some codes (like a password) to access the software. Personally, my concern would be the ability to return the kit if you cannot get it loaded onto your bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As said in so many posts on this forum tuneboy customer support can be slow but I did get response on my enquiries ( quick shifter would not engage in 5th gear under high revs and Wayne response was to increase QS kill time and that cured my problem ). As for is it worth or not for me it is best upgrade I have done on my bike. Maybe you do desire cc and quickshifter but real value is in tune as it transforms bike. BTW I have installed and deinstalled tuneboy many times with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Diavel, Shad bags, Puig Windscreen, T-rex sliders, Tune-boy with quickshifter
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As said in so many posts on this forum tuneboy customer support can be slow but I did get response on my enquiries ( quick shifter would not engage in 5th gear under high revs and Wayne response was to increase QS kill time and that cured my problem ). As for is it worth or not for me it is best upgrade I have done on my bike. Maybe you do desire cc and quickshifter but real value is in tune as it transforms bike. BTW I have installed and deinstalled tuneboy many times with no issues whatsoever.
That's my concern and why I'm asking. I sent an email through the website asking about how the tunes work over a week ago and haven't heard anything. The newest posts on here that I was able to find with my search are at least 2-3 years old, and one of them mentioned that they thought he might be about to retire. I just want to make sure that he's still active and I'll actually get a product if I send him money! LOL How long ago was your most recent interaction with him?

When you say the tune transforms it, did you have it professionally tuned, or did you use the canned tune included in the software? Are you running stock exhaust/air filter or modified? Are you gen1 or gen2?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually did a write up on my experience with TB a few months ago on FB. Ill give you the short of it. The process of connecting to the bike is overly complicated and unintuitive. Once that is done the process of loading a tune is not bad. On to my experience with the QS and Wayne. The QS arrived with bad threads on one side and could not be installed. Wayne took well over a week to respond to my email about the issue and his response was to insult me. Saying I was installing it backwards or turning it the wrong way. This started a back and forth that got nowhere. In the end he refused to admit that the QS was bad from the start and would not replace it. With that said the tunes are good and the CC works but the CS is terrible. Check FB for a group called Tuneboy support for more info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry for late reply. Last contact I had with Wayne was Jun last year, and he replied in a day. I am sure he is still in business as the website is up. Any way, you will pay with PayPal and have their protection. As for tune I am using it out of box as and never tuned bike on rolls. At first I had OEM exhaust and last year I bought second hand Termignoni slip on. Termignoni slips normally came with ECU and good thing I was able to buy second hand exhaust without ECU for third of price and just use tuneboy tune. My bike is gen1 2013 strada and with stock air filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate everyone's replies! I did finally hear back from Wayne and he gave me the info I had reached out about. I ended up purchasing the tune and cruise kit, an adapter for nudge buttons, and the quick shifter from Tuneboy, then the nudge buttons from the recommended Italian dealer. This was about a week ago, and while I received a ship notification, I have not seen the package yet. I understand coming from Australia to the US it could take some time, and that's fine. Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I appreciate everyone's replies! I did finally hear back from Wayne and he gave me the info I had reached out about. I ended up purchasing the tune and cruise kit, an adapter for nudge buttons, and the quick shifter from Tuneboy, then the nudge buttons from the recommended Italian dealer. This was about a week ago, and while I received a ship notification, I have not seen the package yet. I understand coming from Australia to the US it could take some time, and that's fine. Thank you all!
You will NOT be disappointed. Haven't been on here a long time but I know Tuneboy very well. I'm a electronics tech head and well rounded wrencher so not the avg Joe. I also wrote tuts and how tos in the Tuneboy threads. I backed out of helping folks because everyone wanted to be spoon fed. I really wanted to help everyone. My custom Diavel will never leave my side. I have been tracking my 1199 over the last few years so the Diavel has been a little neglected.

Wayne and Emma are a little lax on the CS side for sure. So they do have a poor response history. Wayne's always been decent to me however. If you have decent knowledge of electronics and have the proper files for your bike you should be fine. I highly recommend a custom dyno tune as well if you gain enough knowledge with the software and someone with a dyno that knows basic Tuneboy. Laptop hardware also can play in and factor issues. You don't know until you try what you got.

I have custom dyno tune, QS, launch control, and cruise control all working great. I even converted the QS to GP shift on both the Diavel and Panigale as I also have Tuneboy on that bike too. Once you go GP shift you'll never go back. Especially on the track.

Good luck but that package is a great value when you look at what you get.

Jay

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jay, where abouts are you located? I have the Tuneboy QS and CC on my bike and love it. But there are some spots in the RPM range where a proper dyno tune setup would enhance the bike. I'm trying to find somewhere close to me that can do a custom dyno tune and wondered if you know of or can recommend anywhere on the east coast preferably in the NC area. The only place I have found is in the Atlanta area and that's a 7 hour one way drive.

You will NOT be disappointed. Haven't been on here a long time but I know Tuneboy very well. I'm a electronics tech head and well rounded wrencher so not the avg Joe. I also wrote tuts and how tos in the Tuneboy threads. I backed out of helping folks because everyone wanted to be spoon fed. I really wanted to help everyone. My custom Diavel will never leave my side. I have been tracking my 1199 over the last few years so the Diavel has been a little neglected.

Wayne and Emma are a little lax on the CS side for sure. So they do have a poor response history. Wayne's always been decent to me however. If you have decent knowledge of electronics and have the proper files for your bike you should be fine. I highly recommend a custom dyno tune as well if you gain enough knowledge with the software and someone with a dyno that knows basic Tuneboy. Laptop hardware also can play in and factor issues. You don't know until you try what you got.

I have custom dyno tune, QS, launch control, and cruise control all working great. I even converted the QS to GP shift on both the Diavel and Panigale as I also have Tuneboy on that bike too. Once you go GP shift you'll never go back. Especially on the track.

Good luck but that package is a great value when you look at what you get.

Jay

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Fellas,

Have a question about Tuneboy, if anyone can answer (know)…..; for Diavel 2011 Cruise control and quick shifter…..is it enough to get KITDUCCC_USB and QS401D….without tuning map(s)? Will it works (specifically QS) if not purchase the tuning option?!

TIA

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Fellas,

Have a question about Tuneboy, if anyone can answer (know)…..; for Diavel 2011 Cruise control and quick shifter…..is it enough to get KITDUCCC_USB and QS401D….without tuning map(s)? Will it works (specifically QS) if not purchase the tuning option?!

TIA
KITDUCCC_USB does not allow to load tuning map on which Quick Shifter works into ECU.
If you want both Cruise Control and Quicck Shifter, you get KITDUCMX_USB, which allows to load
Also QS401D is needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
KITDUCCC_USB does not allow to load tuning map on which Quick Shifter works into ECU.
If you want both Cruise Control and Quicck Shifter, you get KITDUCMX_USB, which allows to load
Also QS401D is needed.

Thanks mate for reply and explaining. So, KITDUCMX_USB and added QS401D! Was asking, because bike will get custom map on dyno for tuning and not Tuneboy one….but it’s need (MX) it for upload QS401D!?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks mate for reply and explaining. So, KITDUCMX_USB and added QS401D! Was asking, because bike will get custom map on dyno for tuning and not Tuneboy one….but it’s need (MX) it for upload QS401D!?
We can download TuneBoy software free including program, tuning map, digital documents and so on from TuneBoy web site.
But we can load tuning map into ECU only when we own TuneBoy license.
KITDUCMX_USB consists of the license and USB cable.
QS401D is just hardware i.e. gear shift rod combined strain gauge with cable. Not include any software. Quick Shifter(QS) software exists in TuneBoy free software.
Combination of TuneBoy software and strain gauge allow TuneBoy QS to work.
If you want to equip your bike with TuneBoy QS, KITDUCMX_USB is necessary.

Are you going to take your bike to a tuner for customizing combustion setting with dyno machine?
If the tuner can manage TuneBoy, you don't need to worry.

Tuning map we generally call is dat file.
The dat file consists of base program which allows TuneBoy function to work on ECU and default setting values on engine combustion and QS.
TuneBoy function includes QS function.
So only load a dat file into ECU, engine and QS work.
Usually we load not only dat file but also trim file.
The trim file consists of combustion setting values and QS setting values we can tune.
When we load both dat and trim files, setting values are overwritten by trim file.
The tuner will tune then create just customized trim file which reflects the tuned setting values.
Whether the tuner tunes just combustion setting or plus QS setting maybe depends on your demand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts