Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
My XD from day 1 has had a pretty hard shifting transmission. Most annoying is a very noticeable "clunk" when shifting into 1st gear, either from neutral or 2nd. Going from 2nd to 1st, I can eliminate the clunk pretty well by not shifting until the bike is almost stopped, but that's also giving me more false neutrals. I worry that over time this could cause wear or damage to the tranny. Anyone else have this issue? Bike has 1000 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi. my gear shift is a bit clunky too. I try to engage 1st when it is rolling and not stationary. it is quite a stiff shift with all the gears though and I have to watch going to 5th because if I am not concentrating it can be a neutral. I will try bleeding the clutch some time to see if that helps engaging 1st.

·
A White Carbon is NOT an AMG
2,421 Posts
On a normal diavel i would suggest adjusting the chain, this is the first bike ducati have used belt drive on and to be fair the transmission in all ducati's are rather agricultural compared to a silky smooth honda or suzuki box, that's not to say they're no good, they're quite strong in fact, if you have trouble selecting neutral it's often a chain adjustment issue or the clutch has been bled poorly and needs doing again, it _can_ be a tight gearbox from new but that's rarely a problem for very long.
The clunk when selecting gear is most likely the belt set up is too loose, i know Buell and harley can have stretch from new if ridden hard or abruptly, i think they have a floating tensioner that helps with theirs, not sure what the diavel X has though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My transmission was pretty tight at first, couldn't find neutral to save my life. After about 50 miles or so things started smoothing out a bit. I haven't had any clunking yet.

When downshifting, do you increase the rpm to match the road speed for that gear?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The "clunk" goes with the "duc" and that's all there is to it. If you try to baby the gears you will have false neutrals. It will be even louder going from neutral to 1st and that's a good sign that you're in gear. When I first bought my Diavel I tried every technique to minimize the clunk until I realized she had a lot of clunk in the trunk and from the point on it was all about manhandling her. Now I shift faster and harder with little false neutrals.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Clunks, false neutrals, popping out of gear between fourth and fifth at high rpm and the constant frustration of wondering whether you will be able to find neutral when you come to a stop is part of the Ducati experience.
That is far from my Ducati experience.

Reactions: CropDuster

·
Registered
38 Posts
It definitely took some getting used to initially. I also experienced the "clunk" at times and finding neutral near impossible without reaching down with my hand. The "hidden neutral" has gotten much better with break-in miles and the clunk is managed with rev-matching and gentle footwork.

It can be very smooth and easy once a few miles are on the gearbox and on the gear changer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3200 miles on mine and it has loosened up. Most shifts are smooth now with little effort. I learned early that if you don't shift all the way to the stop, you can bring on a false neutral. My bike is still a little chunky in and out of first, that may never change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Clunks, false neutrals, popping out of gear between fourth and fifth at high rpm and the constant frustration of wondering whether you will be able to find neutral when you come to a stop is part of the Ducati experience.
Got to tell you that mine shifts smoother than any of my Harley's and my BMW R nineT. Once I had a "neutral" between 4th and 5th. I did shift, by mistake, from the sole of my boot on the side of the shift peg then. Otherwise I've had no issues. I'm sorry to hear that you folks above have had issues. This is my first Ducati so what is "normal" I don't know from experience, just what I've read online. Also, we all know the XDiavel is all new for Ducati as well. I've got about 500 miles in 9 days so my experience with the bike is short. So far so good. Fingers crossed. lol Ride safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After 14 years with a Honda Valkyrie, this was a big departure for me, especially getting used to the shifts. Yes, it's a little clunky down low, but that and the general smoothness of shifting has increased over the first 3000 miles. Or it's me. What I've found is that she shifts smoother if you don't shift until over 3500 RPM (Yes, the higher, the better. No, don't ask me how I know in case 5-0 is trolling the boards). The one thing that I've found key to upshifts are, as someone said in a prior post, shifting all the way to the stop to avoid the false neutral between 4 and 5 or (especially) 5 and 6. Also, if you have a problem with catching the upshift, make sure you toe down so that the shift lever releases all the way; if you hold it off the bottom position even a bit, you may keep the bike from shifting to the next gear and get the pretty flashing red lights if the hammer is down. And if you haven't figured it out already, rev matching as you downshift helps smooth the shifting in that direction.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The first gear clunk is inherent to casset styled transmissions. The clunk on this bike is far less noticeable then most bikes, my BMW R1200RS is really bad compared to most bikes. A matter of fact the transmission on the Diavel is outstanding compared to a lot of bikes I've owned, it's pretty nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My clucth is generally fine but I've noticed that occasionally, often when very hot, there's an incredible amount of force required to get it from 1st whihc means you can never find neutral and it jumps to 2nd. It really is serious foot pressure so going to get them to have a look when they do the next service because it really feels like there's an issue with the shift start or detend spring. Comes and gtoes but when it happens, unless I'm moving off I have to turn it off before I can get it to shift....makes you look like a moron at traffic lights.... :-(

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was actually a servive repair bulletin for this so if it's still an issue for people, might be worth checking out:

Procedure to check and adjust the clutch fluid pressure
All models with adjustment threaded dowel from MY 2015 to MY 2018
Service Repair Bulletin SRV-SRB-18-028

Date: October 9, 2018

·
Registered
51 Posts
This thread finally had some info. I don't mind resurrecting it since it's already happened before. Mine just clicked over 10K miles this weekend. Shifts are generally very good, but I had several missed attempts to hit 5th gear (resulting in 'neutral' instead) on a long ride Saturday. None of those missed 4-5 shifts felt any lighter or less forceful than normal though.............

But from the earlier discussion, 4-5 sounds like one of the less reliable shifts. Do current owners still experience this ?

Any opinions on clutchless shifts when trying to win a drag race ?

My research on quick-shifters found that all of them electronically manipulate the throttle to match RPM, but none of them operate the clutch - 100% of them are using clutchless shifts. So the risks of "manually" doing your own throttle blip seems fairly low to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
40K. Very impressive. I don't understand about 5th gear though..............do you never ride outside the city ?

I'm lucky enough to use mine strictly for pleasure cruises throughout the Hill Country. I got this bike to redline it through 2nd and 3rd......then on up to 6th. Great fun so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts