Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is it like to ride turned off ? . Will I crash my bike ? Got close to turning off today but did'nt want to wreck my $31000 Diavel . I've never riden a bike that can spin the rear wheel out of slow corners before & I'm not sure my throttle reaction will back the power off before I'm going down the road sideways & highsided onto the road .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well you can clearly feel and hear it managing the power when it kicks in so I guess it depends how hard you are leaning on it at the moment? If you are not aware of it then it's unlikely you're engaging it anyway.

If its not engaging ride until you find it keep coming in so you understand where the real limits are then if you're brave turn it off, repeat the process of getting to the limit and experience power slides. The big is still very planted and stable when it does spin the rear, just don't do it with the bike over too far or it will low side for sure.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i have it on DTC 1 and it kicks in every so often especially when the tires are cold.

I have no need to turn it off as it adds that little bit of safety.

If you have not experienced it kicking in then i don't see why you would turn it off as the one time you push it's limits it might help you.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
DTC off, Sport, ABS on ! I have yet to turn on dtc since i purchased the bike, you can feel when the wheel starts spinning up when cornering, thats how you find your limits! I like the feeling of the rear stepping out slightly although sometimes unintentional!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Push its limits is what is needed .you see I ride in sport mode all the time & what made
Oyou think I can't ride a bike ? I bet if we put our bikes side by side I would have wear on rear tyre closer to the edge of tread than you'se two.I slide my Diavel every day I ride it which is everyday because its my only form of motorized transport .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Turn it off for a day and see what happens, I would imagine all of your previous bikes did not have traction control so ride it like you rode them keeping in mind the extra torque. If it feels like your back tyre is spinning up too much turn it back on or don't give it as much throttle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Switched it off & I need to get some thinners at work tomorrow & wipe the edges of my tyres , I put Armor all extreme tyre shine on side walls & in some places it has leeched onto tyre tread . Tomorrows the day I'll slide it .

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Never put that sort of stuff on bike tyres. Its a good way to kill yourself!

As for turning it off - why not just turn it to 1 and see if you notice it kick in. A low number should let it spin up a bit before it cuts in (but it then might cut in harder!)

The other thing about having it off, it might be fine if you are practicing catching the rear, but if you get a bit cocky and then have a cold wet day (and Im sure even Qld gets not-warm wet days!) then you might find it catch you a bit quicker than expected.
If you are not used to spinning the rear then having it off when you are aware and working on your feel and skills is good. But Id suggest putting it back on for general riding, especially in poor conditions (wet, dirt, oil, bumpy roads)
Like abs - these extra protections are mostly for the times when we arent fully focused and conditions arent ideal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
He's dead.

oh well, I'm calling dibs on the wheels if they are still straight when they show up on ebay.

Stubbsy,

After owning a 1st Gen MV the Diavel would be positively tame even with DTC off. I've got to say to anyone reading this thread though, my track day at EC in the pouring rain with DTC set to max I was out-accelerating everything. Total trust in the DTC and it delivered the goods. So i'll be leaving mine switched on all the time, it's a riding aid, it'll make you faster, not slower. Moto GP rules allow traction control, and formula 1 was also quicker with it then without until it got banned in the early 90's. You're faster with it switched on believe it or not.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
... I ride in sport mode all the time ...I slide my Diavel every day I ride it ...
Sports mode has a TC of 1 so I don't think you are not going to feel much difference. I had a play with TC and change it quite often now, particularly when it is wet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
He's dead.

oh well, I'm calling dibs on the wheels if they are still straight when they show up on ebay.

Stubbsy,

After owning a 1st Gen MV the Diavel would be positively tame even with DTC off. I've got to say to anyone reading this thread though, my track day at EC in the pouring rain with DTC set to max I was out-accelerating everything. Total trust in the DTC and it delivered the goods. So i'll be leaving mine switched on all the time, it's a riding aid, it'll make you faster, not slower. Moto GP rules allow traction control, and formula 1 was also quicker with it then without until it got banned in the early 90's. You're faster with it switched on believe it or not.
Look out dev71qld the vulture's are circling, yes Squibby the Diavel is a kitten to ride compared to the MV F4 1000 that thing just wants to sit you on your ass or spit you off every chance it gets. The Diavel feels much safer with its smooth torque and power and all of the electronics, it's chalk and cheese really.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
turned it back on need more practice on setting 1 on saturday I will take it out if town &turn it off & practice the throttle control .
Isn't setting 1 the norm for Sports mode? I drive in Sports but not keen on sliding about so have bumped up the traction to 6 or 8 when it is raining.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Look out dev71qld the vulture's are circling, yes Squibby the Diavel is a kitten to ride compared to the MV F4 1000 that thing just wants to sit you on your ass or spit you off every chance it gets. The Diavel feels much safer with its smooth torque and power and all of the electronics, it's chalk and cheese really.
Absolutely. I still got my Brutale 910S, so I know exactly what you mean. Front Brakes need a hard squeeze, Rear brake doesn't do much, mirrors are useless, seat is torture, suspension can be set anywhere between 'ball-breaker' to 'teeth shatter', runs too hot in traffic, randomly stalls, throttle is either 0% or 10% open, nothing in between, pops random wheelies, shakes the head on hard acceleration......

.... but on the right road, in the right weather, and when you get in 'the zone' mentally and physically, the MV is the most glorious thing to ride you could ever imagine. Demon in the corners and howls like a banshee. Still love it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My settings on my track day.

Absolutely. I still got my Brutale 910S, so I know exactly what you mean. Front Brakes need a hard squeeze, Rear brake doesn't do much, mirrors are useless, seat is torture, suspension can be set anywhere between 'ball-breaker' to 'teeth shatter', runs too hot in traffic, randomly stalls, throttle is either 0% or 10% open, nothing in between, pops random wheelies, shakes the head on hard acceleration......

.... but on the right road, in the right weather, and when you get in 'the zone' mentally and physically, the MV is the most glorious thing to ride you could ever imagine. Demon in the corners and howls like a banshee. Still love it.
They are a shit to ride around town but on the Highway or track absolutly awesome, very expencive to repair if you bin them too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.