Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time posting to the forum...

So after riding an 848 and a Panigale for years, I finally gave in and bought a 2015 Carbon White last year. I love riding the Diavel so much that I haven't ridden the Panigale but 4 or 5 times in the past 11 months--all of which were at the track. The Diavel is such a capable, comfortable, razor-sharp handling bike (plus the heat coming off the Panigale in Austin traffic is unbearable) that I am selling the Panigale and leaving the Diavel as my only bike. I tend to do about 10 track days a year (nothing too serious, I run with the guys in level 2 out of 3). So I am looking for advice on how to upgrade the Diavel to handle track days (that is to avoid scraping the headers and the kickstand). I have purchased a pair of Sato Rearsets (haven't arrived yet) and am planning on adjusting the pre-load to get as much ground clearance as possible (otherwise everything is bone stock). For those who have done track days with this bike, are there any other precautions you would recommend for setting up for track? I have never had any complaints about the suspension, so I have been able to make a compelling case to upgrade to the Ohlins rear shock ( Being a smaller guy, I weigh about 165lbs + 10 with gear and I hang off the bike quite a bit and based on other's feedback, they didn't really feel like they got their monies worth).

I am really hoping I can pull this off so I can save my money on a second bike and live with the Diavel for both street and occasional track use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I would think the forks on the Diavel would be incredibly stiff for a guy your size. I'm 220 and I still find the front end to be quite stiff. I ready have the Ohlins rear installed I was just at the dealer getting set up to install my Adriani cartridge kit. The suspension would definitely be my first upgrade if I were you.

I used to do lots of track days riding mostly group B and some times group A when B was full but have never done a track day with the Diavel. Might have to remedy that this year though

·
Mezei
1,523 Posts
To keep from scraping the header some have mentioned chopping a little off the Headers going into the Y-pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
To be brutally honest, keep the Pani for track days, particularly if you do 10 a year.
Don't get me wrong, the Diavel's a great allround bike and great for the occasional track day, but it's seriously not designed for the track. You won't have nearly as much fun and you will be exhausted by the end of the day from throwing the Diavel around.
There was a guy in England or Germany, from memory, who was racing a Diavel. It was doing pretty well considering, but eventually he lunched the motor or gearbox.
And before everyone comes in with the fact that you can lunch a Pani as well, how many of you have done a track day on both?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
To be brutally honest, keep the Pani for track days, particularly if you do 10 a year.
Don't get me wrong, the Diavel's a great allround bike and great for the occasional track day, but it's seriously not designed for the track. You won't have nearly as much fun and you will be exhausted by the end of the day from throwing the Diavel around.
There was a guy in England or Germany, from memory, who was racing a Diavel. It was doing pretty well considering, but eventually he lunched the motor or gearbox.
And before everyone comes in with the fact that you can lunch a Pani as well, how many of you have done a track day on both?
Totally agree. While Diavel is a great all rounder, its nowhere near a panigale in track fun dept. I sold my pani too and got the diavel only because i can not afford two bikes right now, if i could i would keep that pani for track.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
This just made me laugh. I can certainly imagine doing one track day on a Diavel for shits and giggles but 10/year seems a bit much he he. I can only imagine how freakin' worn out I'd be at the end of the day from throwing that big bitch around

My poor wrists and elbows can't take the stress of that kind of riding anymore....getting old sucks

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi RR, good to hear your keeping her. Make sure you take the Diavel for a track day, what a blast!
Like you, age is taking a toll, but look at it this way, like me, you can have a Nanna nap between track sessions. I did 4 out of the 5 sessions at Eastern Creek Sydney about 12 months ago, seriously too buggered to go out for the fifth, but enjoyed myself immensely. There's still bark in the old dog.

The Diavels a blast on the track, especially when you get the hero's climbing all over your arse on the corners, but as soon as you get the bike near upright, their tucking under their windshields, just watching you pull away.
The Pani on the track, you'll wonder why they sell it for street use.

·
Registered
816 Posts
1st time posting to the forum...

So after riding an 848 and a Panigale for years, I finally gave in and bought a 2015 Carbon White last year. I love riding the Diavel so much that I haven't ridden the Panigale but 4 or 5 times in the past 11 months--all of which were at the track. The Diavel is such a capable, comfortable, razor-sharp handling bike (plus the heat coming off the Panigale in Austin traffic is unbearable) that I am selling the Panigale and leaving the Diavel as my only bike. I tend to do about 10 track days a year (nothing too serious, I run with the guys in level 2 out of 3). So I am looking for advice on how to upgrade the Diavel to handle track days (that is to avoid scraping the headers and the kickstand). I have purchased a pair of Sato Rearsets (haven't arrived yet) and am planning on adjusting the pre-load to get as much ground clearance as possible (otherwise everything is bone stock). For those who have done track days with this bike, are there any other precautions you would recommend for setting up for track? I have never had any complaints about the suspension, so I have been able to make a compelling case to upgrade to the Ohlins rear shock ( Being a smaller guy, I weigh about 165lbs + 10 with gear and I
hang off the bike quite a bit and based on other's feedback, they didn't really feel like they got their monies worth).

I am really hoping I can pull this off so I can save my money on a second bike and live with the Diavel for both street and occasional track use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
I have tracked mine a few times and it's a lot of fun, I have Woodcraft rear sets adjusted as high as they go, I also cut about 10mm off the slip joint on the y pipe and gained about 7mm extra clearance, both the pipe and foot controls still scrape but no where near as bad as they did. I also have Ohlins front and rear suspension.
I guess at the end of the day these bikes were never designed for track use so you have to make the best out of what you have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have my first track day booked for June on a brand new track called Area 27. I'm in the Relaxed Group so I'm looking forward to spanking some sport bikes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Did a California Superbike School session (Level 1) at Sydney's Eastern Creek GP circuit on Tuesday.
WHAT A BLAST!
Bikes suspension was setup up better this time, running Michelins, Tuneboy and learnt a real lot about bike dynamics.
Was no way competitive in the corners, however.....
...The instructor (S1000RR) said he was amazed that even though I didn't have a fairing and I sat up like a windsock (I'm also pretty petitè at 120kgs) that he couldn't catch me on the straight and enjoyed the fact that when I backed off at the end of the main straight (235kph), sparks and flames were coming out of the exhaust. (Must remember to work on entry speed)
Thinking of Level 2 at Phillip Island later in the year.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do a course as well RR.
I've been riding for over 45 years and I learnt heaps and gained a massive amount of confidence back.
It's surprising how many bad habits you pick up over the years.
If you can, do it on a circuit that's not to technical and has a number of decent straights. Also, not in the middle of summer, gets really hot in full leathers.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Do a course as well RR.
I've been riding for over 45 years and I learnt heaps and gained a massive amount of confidence back.
It's surprising how many bad habits you pick up over the years.
If you can, do it on a circuit that's not to technical and has a number of decent straights. Also, not in the middle of summer, gets really hot in full leathers.
There is always so much to learn doing courses like that and your skills do diminish when you stop riding track for sure. I need to get my ass in gear and find some local track days where I can go play with the Diavel. I'm getting the itch now

Crap...Arizona Motorsports Park has track days all year with 4 months break over the summer....you'd fry like an egg on the pavement if you crash in the summer. I really want to just buy a freakin' track bike that I can flog with impunity he he

·
Registered
831 Posts
I understand CSS is there for track training and not for road sense, but they basically taught us throttle control and the difference in my lap times from the start of the day till the end would have been about 10 to 12 seconds. Yep!
By the end of the day, just by throttle control and knowing where to turn in, I rarely needed to use the brakes. And as they ask, 'in a session, how many times would you say you took the corner the same way'. Once you know how to corner, the corners just seem to flow.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
There's no end to the little tips and tricks those instructors can give you. Our track day organization where I used to live would put on clinics every so often and they were great. They really help build your confidence - you learn stuff you never would've picked up just riding in the street.

Gonna have to borrow a DB meter and see how loud my scooter really is - AMP has a 96DB Noise limit....I know that ain't happening without the DB killer on the Diavel lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Done a few track days, no doubt you'll learn something new every time. However, some frustration will come from not able to lean as much and always later on full-throttle coming out of corners. On the local track, you can only pass on on 2-3 straights, so i tend to pass a bunch there and then they are frustrated by tailing me in the corners. So i thought fuck it, let me hang back and see if they can shake me off. Well, they couldnt, I think mostly because your line is better when following other riders and you sort of ignore the scraping after a few laps.

·
Registered
831 Posts
No noise limits on Oz tracks, wooooohoooooo!
Plus Termis are for track use only, try keeping me out. That's my argument anyway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts