Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
JIG-A-LOO
OK.... I was looking for a new pair of warm weather riding gloves and I thought it would be good if I could get a pair that were touchscreen friendly. The vendors that were the easiest and quickest for me to buy them from were all out of stock in the size large and styles I wanted that were touchscreen friendly....what to do? Let's have a look on YouTube and see what I can find there. Anyway, long story short, I found a solution. A good one. So I just posted a video on YouTube showing what I did.

Here is the link for my video;
https://www.youtube....pVOjKRIgCI&t=3s

Here is the link to the video I got the idea from;
https://www.youtube....h?v=CYlyFty-d-0

You don't need to pay $25 + shipping for a couple of grams of a liquid that does a few pairs of gloves. A couple of these are called NanoTips and AnyGlove. There are probably more like them. They are $20-$25 USD plus shipping. I can't blame the developers of these products for marketing them. I wish I would have thought of it first.
And you don't need to stick paper clips and safety pins through your glove fingertips and tape pieces of metallic potato chip bags to your fingers. And I'm not really dissin' those guys either. It's just that there's a better and cheaper way. Anyway have a look at the videos.
I just viewed his video again. Looks like I made a mistake saying he was from the UK. Sounds like he's Aussie.... OOOPs.....

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great Video and Thanks! I recently bought Glove Tacts at Cycle Gear and they did not work well. After a few rides they moved off the tip of my finger because I was pressing on the brake lever right on the Glove Tact. The adhesive did not keep them in place. Overall a waste of money. I put them on brand new gloves too. I wonder why there is no black residue on your gloves from the graphite?
Graphite is a great lubricant and I would think it would just wipe off. I am going to give this a try anyhow.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Video and Thanks! I recently bought Glove Tacts at Cycle Gear and they did not work well. After a few rides they moved off the tip of my finger because I was pressing on the brake lever right on the Glove Tact. The adhesive did not keep them in place. Overall a waste of money. I put them on brand new gloves too. I wonder why there is no black residue on your gloves from the graphite?
Graphite is a great lubricant and I would think it would just wipe off. I am going to give this a try anyhow.
When I went to the hardware store they had 4-5 products that could have done the job. I chose the Jig-A-Loo and before I bought it I did a bit of a test in the store. I sprayed a bit on one of the metal shelf brackets then took a walk around the store for a few minutes to let it dry. When I came back the graphite had dried to sort of a translucent black film. It was totally dry and slick to touch and rub on with my finger. Even trying to scratch the dry film with my fingernail I didn't have any success scratching it or rubbing off any graphite. Spraying this on glove fingertips, because leather is absorbent, some gets absorbed into the leather and the excess dries on top of the leather. I think in normal use this will probably last quite a while. Of course if you rub the fingertip on some abrasive surface you think it should wear off some, but maybe not, because being dry graphite it is very slick to touch. And with some of the Jig-A-Loo already having been absorbed into the leather it may just keep working. After a while if you think the touch screen effectiveness might be wearing off all you need to do is shake up the can of Jig-A-Loo and give the fingertip a quick shot and you should be good for quite a while again.
Have a look at this guy's solution on YouTube;
I appreciate this guy's effort but it seems pretty crazy to me. He uses a metal paper clip, a safety pin, a Doritos chip bag, duct tape and scissors. He has the paper clip stuck through the glove fingertip into the inside of the glove so it touches his finger. Seems a bit dangerous to me. Then he's got the safety pin attached to the outside of the glove fingertip and a piece of the Doritos metallic chip bag wrapped around his glove fingertip secured with duct tape. I watched that and said to myself...WTFWTF!!! Seems like a good tutorial on what NOT to do to me. More like how to ruin a good pair of gloves and you have a piece of metal taped to your fingertip. Real convenient, ehhh? Anyway enough of that, but amusing to watch....

·
Administrator
758 Posts
Love the graphite idea. I’ll be trying that on a pair of my gloves. Hopefully that will last over time, but even if it doesn’t, it’s cheap and easy to re-apply.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool tip - do you know how long does it lasts?
I can't say for sure but I think it will last for quite a while. If you click on the link to the video the Aussie guy (in my video I said he was from the UK... I already apologized to him for that..LOL) did that I got the idea from you will see in the comments below his video that someone asked him how long it lasts. His reply at that time was that since he did this he had put 7,000 miles on his bike with the gloves and the graphite treatment was still working on his GPS device. He said that if it ever seemed like it was no longer effective he would just do the treatment again. In my case I think it's just as easy. Give the can of Jig-A-Loo a shake and a few seconds to squirt a bit more on the fingertips and it should be good. The Jig-A-Loo just takes a few seconds to dry to the touch. I'm in Canada and the weather is kinda crappy now so it probably won't be till springtime now before I can begin a long term evaluation of this.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, I guess I am going to have to try another brand of graphite spray. It seems as though Jig A Loo isn’t readily available here in the states.

·
Administrator
758 Posts
A quick search on Amazon turns up many many different graphite products. I’m sure you can find one similar you like.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I guess I am going to have to try another brand of graphite spray. It seems as though Jig A Loo isn't readily available here in the states.
I think it's probably available in the US somewhere but you just need to find who has it. I think most auto parts and hardware stores would stock Jig-A-Loo or something equivalent. I have had other products in the past that were similar. I think CRC makes a similar product. I just did a quick search on the web and found that Home Depot sells something called Blaster Dry Graphite Lubricant. Walmart also shows it sells Blaster. O'Reilly Auto Parts sells Pioneer Dry Graphite Lubricant. I think these are basically the same as Jig-A-Loo.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A quick search on Amazon turns up many many different graphite products. I'm sure you can find one similar you like.
Maybe I was just lucky I ran into the right product. I just checked a Jig-A-Loo promotional video on YouTube. Seems like pretty good stuff but I'm sure they don't have a patent or proprietary rights to this technology. Like I said, I have used similar products before.
Next snowstorm I think I'm gonna squirt some on my #12 aluminum scoop snow shovel. The wet heavy snow sticks to the shovel & drives me nuts.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts