Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've had several requests for this info, I thought I'd try to post it. It was written for a particular person, so it might not all apply to everyone. Whadaya want for free, eh?

Please have a look at the attached files. The file named Hill Country Roads Worth riding is an overall area map on which I've shaded in sorta green all the decent roads. They are good for different reasons: some are twisty, some have fast sweepers, some have beautiful or dramatic scenery. Most of the road numbers don't show on the map, so you have to match it up with another map; you'll figure it out.

I've also included several "day-ride" routes of different lengths. The mileage of each one is noted. They all assume that the rider starts in Kerrville, which is where most riders stay; so you can adjust as needed to take into consideration your starting/ending point in San Antonio. A few of these rides are very long - very likely too long for a November ride, when days are much shorter, especially if you're basing in San Antonio.

One thing I will call out is that if you want some fast sweepers, then you should ride 10 or so miles north on Hwy 55 from Camp Wood. I've attached a photo. Enjoy the dramatic sweepers in both directions and then head up FM 335 (one of the sisters). See the "Option 4" route attached. You could modify that route to cut out steps 31, 32, and 33 by shortcutting from 30 to 34 along Hwy 39. Kerrville (Step 1) is at Interstate 10, which is the quickest route from San Antonio.

If you just want to ride the sisters, and throw in a the best of Hwy 55, then use the Option 4 map, but cut out steps 1, 2, and 25-34. You would come up State Hwy 16 from San Antonio, and then begin/end your ride at step 3 Medina, Texas. That would let you ride the very best parts of FM 337 (between Leakey and Vanderpool) twice. Incidentally, if you want to show your local knowledge, pronounce Leakey as Lay-key, not leaky.

Another side note: Some maps and signs designate the sisters as FM 335, FM 336, and FM 337; others use RR 335, RR 336, and RR 337. It's the same thing, just old-time political/cultural snobbism at work. FM = Farm to Market. RR = Ranch Road. FM is the original designation of all such roads throughout the state. But some ranchers long ago really disliked being lumped in with farmers, so they insisted on RR designations. The thing that makes Texas's FM roads really nice for motorcycling is that they were all built to follow the natural contours of the land. There are very few places where the land has been reshaped to accommodate the road; instead, the road undulates and twists to work with the land.

One more thing: Whenever you're in Leakey, get fuel. There's a large station called Stripes that is on US 83, about half a mile south of FM 337. It has a Subway sandwich shop inside. There's also fuel in Camp Wood, but that station is smaller, has no shade, and the store isn't as good.

Try to make time to visit the http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Best regards,
Reid McTaggart
Hunt, TX 78024

Attachments

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More

Attachments

·