Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll have a close look at my shock, haven't seen any obvious signs or felt it bottom out.

Increased pressure will make the a motorcycle tire, especially performance tires "rounder" and harder, this is why you feel its nimbler, at the same time the harder tire will soak up less imperfections in the road, a more inflated tire can give you more road surface feedback. Overinflated will make you loose grip.
I guess your old bike had a more square profile tire than the Diavel.

0,3 psi shouldn't really be noticeable, typically a tire pressure will increase by 2-3 psi from cold to working temperature, 3-4psi if ridden hard.

I set my pressure in my garage at 20C/68F to 38psi a few weeks ago, outside its just over 10C/50F and the roads are cold, so the tires dont heat up as much now, (spring has been unusually cold this year) in 2-3 weeks I will probably need to let out 2 psi to get down to 38psi as the ambient temperature and roads are much much warmer, then in september I need to bring it up again.
Another thing to notice is that most pressure gauges differ, so either get your own gauge or check pressure at the same place every time.
You can check your pressure at a service station, then cross the road to the next one and have several psi difference.
I have my own gauge and air compressor in my garage.
I didn't get a chance to adjust the settings and ride before I took it to the shop. New rear spring is on, ride feels much better now.

I do think my old bike was a different shape, more square like you said.

Yeah, I do not know why it felt so much different to me with just 0.3 psi, I mean I know I notice in my car when it goes down 1-2 psi, but 0.3 doesn't seem like I should notice much. Either way I liked the ride much better with just that tiny bump in psi. I have a compressor and gauge, so I am checking with the same gauge every time. Service stations here make it difficult to check pressure or put air in the tires, always try to get you to pay for it, so I've just had my own gauges and compressor for years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys really good thread as I am currently adjusting my Diavel Red 1260s with full Ohlins suspension. I previously had 1200 Diavel with Ohlins suspension but a year ago this month I ordered a new 2020,1260s and then the pandemic hit. So only have 5000mls on the clock to date. Hopefully, that will change now that we are getting back to some form of normality. My weight is 77kg, normal leisure attire and there is no way that I can get rider sag on the front forks anywhere near 25mm best is 10-12mm with rear sag currently 30mm. I have an ABBA stand and have taken lots of measurements of Free, Static, and Rider sag and tested changes and have concluded that the Diavel is not your standard motorcycle or more to the point sag is just a guiding figure. Everyone rides differently and has various thresholds of fear and capabilities and therefore one setting does not suit all. Advice is great and helps us all to get the enjoyment we want. I will review again the thread above and will pull together my data and submit it FYI.

·
Registered
Ducati Diavel 1260S 2019
26 Posts
So, with trial and error - well using Noggie's suggestions and then minor adjustments either side it ended up being

Front
Preload - no change from stock
Compression 20 clicks out
Rebound 10 clicks out

This gets me to 1.5 inches from the bottom casing under braking

Rear
Preload - no change
Compression 17 clicks out
Rebound 9 clicks out

This makes thing a lot smoother and also helps with low speed throttle control too. Nothing is bottoming out. It has made a very big difference to the handling.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Very good, seems I was off by one click on the compression in my guesstimate, not bad :)

It's a whole different ride and confidence when the suspension is properly set up.

I'm still running my setup, but because I'm so much more confident, I ride harder and I'm now at risk of bottoming out.
I may have to get stiffer springs both front and rear.
Could be a job for the next service, which I will have done before winter storage in October, or I need to loose 10kg/20lbs during the winter :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I am new here, just got my Diavel 1260 S 2022 and put 3200 miles in a month. Love the bike! the problem is that I am 300 lbs and I am looking for a stiffer spring. A suspension mechanic said he found one that is 130 N/mm. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi guys, I am new here, just got my Diavel 1260 S 2022 and put 3200 miles in a month. Love the bike! the problem is that I am 300 lbs and I am looking for a stiffer spring. A suspension mechanic said he found one that is 130 N/mm. What do you guys think?
That is quite a step up from stock, If I remember correctly the stock is 75N/mm, not sure you need such a stiff spring.

My stock spring 01106 03/75-120 L0419 is for a 176lbs person.
Another user had a spring on his bike thet read01106-04/80 120 L1718 for a 228lbs person.
it appears that those springs may be 75N/mm and 80N/mm, and that a difference of 5N/mm resulted in a 52lbs rider weight increase.
Indicating that you should get away with a 100N/mm spring at 300lbs.

I would recommend getting in touch with Öhlins USA and ask them what spring rates they recommend for your weight on this bike.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts