Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Surprised me then

Tags
suspension
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lucky 
#1 ·
I had already followed the hints here on how to modify the suspension settings.

Looking for comfort in all round situations rather than track day thrills I had softened things up already...

Surprisingly softening the front compression damping settings by only another 1/8 of turn anticlockwise made ALL the difference between having the bars almost jarred from my hands over a short sharp ripple in the road and finding a new level of comfort while retaining "feel".

My point?

Don't blindly charge towards handling nirvana through expensive modifications, try "fine tuning" the suspenders you have already paid for...

You may be pleasantly surprised.

#4 ·
I always think its important to highlight weight and riding style when talking suspension - I'm 6ft'1, about 90 kilos and when not riding 2 up, I'm flat out and decking the pegs. So what works for me will probably be lousy for someone who likes a soft bouncy bike for rolling around town on.

I had to back everything off and start again - the stock factory settings and manual are misleading. I have to say the bikes a lot better since the last time I fiddled. Softening up the rear a touch more and backing the front down got me close - now comfier over the bumps -but getting them working together took a lot of trial and error.

I can't remember the settings now but compared to the Ducati recommended settings, the front preload is backed off and the rear is increased. Easier on the compression damping, probably more on the rebound. You need to get that spring moving, but you do want to control the rate of compression slightly, but most importantly ensure its not going to rebound and throw your line off.

I think Ducati get their road settings from track testing, or they dial them in on some seriously smooth roads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.