Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a new (2021) 1260S which has an issue with surging when riding at constant speeds between 30 and 50. My Ducati dealer is doing all they can to try and diagnose and address the fault which they have acknowledged, and have found on two other bikes. Ducati however, are not accepting that its an issue as they haven't had other simialr complaints and as a result, they don't want to address it. Anyone else have the same issue or heard of the issue?

We (the dealer) have checked and rest all settings to standard and we have reapplied the Ducati maps and any updates but its still happening. Its really frustrating as I love the bike but the surging is a real issue that spoils the ride as well as being dangerous. I had the sports exhaust fitted and the issue is significantly worse with that on albeit the surging still happens with the standard exhaust which we have gone back to for now to try and get this resolved.

Feels like an issue with the Ducati mapping to me but I'm not an expert by any means. Any thoughts or insights welcome.

Pete

·
Registered
Ducati Diavel 1260S 2019
26 Posts
Hi all,

I have a new (2021) 1260S which has an issue with surging when riding at constant speeds between 30 and 50. My Ducati dealer is doing all they can to try and diagnose and address the fault which they have acknowledged, and have found on two other bikes. Ducati however, are not accepting that its an issue as they haven't had other simialr complaints and as a result, they don't want to address it. Anyone else have the same issue or heard of the issue?

We (the dealer) have checked and rest all settings to standard and we have reapplied the Ducati maps and any updates but its still happening. Its really frustrating as I love the bike but the surging is a real issue that spoils the ride as well as being dangerous. I had the sports exhaust fitted and the issue is significantly worse with that on albeit the surging still happens with the standard exhaust which we have gone back to for now to try and get this resolved.

Feels like an issue with the Ducati mapping to me but I'm not an expert by any means. Any thoughts or insights welcome.

Pete
Sorry to hear this. Where are you located and what dealer are you using? I must admit I don't have this problem with mine and I've not heard of it before and I also have the Termi fitted. Sounds like you have covered everything possible, with resets and remaps. Would visiting a professional tuner help? You shouldn't have to do that though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear this. Where are you located and what dealer are you using? I must admit I don't have this problem with mine and I've not heard of it before and I also have the Termi fitted. Sounds like you have covered everything possible, with resets and remaps. Would visiting a professional tuner help? You shouldn't have to do that though.
Thanks for coming back to me - much appreciated. I'm near Evesham in the Midlands and using Coventry Ducati who are being great and doing everything they can albeit they are now in the hands of Ducati and whether they are willing to take up the issue which so far they don't seem to be. They also said we could get some independent tuning done but it does feel like a 'work-around' rather than solving the core problem so I'm slightly resisting that for the moment.

I've had the bike since late November last year (one of the very first 2021 bikes I guess) and its only been in my position about 50% of that time as its had so many problems. Such a shame. Ducati Coventry have now written a fairly long report to Ducati centrally to try and escalate the issue - I guess I just need to see what comes of that and then go from there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you have any more info.
You do mention speed, but is this related to gear and rpms?
I haven't noticed anything on my 2020, and I had the Termi pipe and map installed in February this year.

·
Registered
Ducati Diavel 1260S 2019
26 Posts
There's got to be something fundamental wrong there surely? I'm in Milton Keynes and use Onyerbike (Ducati Aylesbury). If you wanted to we could catch up halfway at some point and you can check mine out to see how different it is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the responses - I've been off for a while so bit delayed replying. The surging happens at low constant speeds - holding it at 30 or any speed between 30 and 40 (e.g. following behind traffic in the towns / villages) is the worst. It happens in any gear and it is defiantly worse in the more aggressive riding modes - i.e. it's at its worst in sport, still bad but slightly less so in touring and still happening but less so in urban. If you're accelerating it never happens but if you're come off the revs quickly from say 50 or 60 it gets quite bad and sometime even a bit scary so something is clearly not right.

The owner at Ducati Coventry took it out for a good long ride (90+ mins) and when he got back he was quite concerned and feels its not right at all. He's obviously riding these things all the time and just to check, he also rode two other 2021 Diavels (with owners agreement) that he happened to have in for servicing (one with the sports exhaust and one without) and both of them seemed to do the same thing.

Recently the regional Ducati Technical Rep came over to ride it but claimed "...I'd ride it, that's just how they are" which I was very disappointed to hear as that's clearly not the case and it sounds like none of you have the issue. Latest is a long report gone into Ducati from Coventry but still nothing. I'm chasing it up again today.

MajorMajor - thanks for your kind offer. I don't have the bike at the moment as its been with Coventry Ducati for 2+ months but when I get it back I might take you up on your offer. Many thanks.

·
Registered
Ducati Diavel 1260S 2019
26 Posts
I'll try to recreate the situation later on with mine. What gear are you in at these speeds? I've fitted throttle spacers to take up the slack on the throttle grip and also adjusted the suspension to smooth things out for me. Those things might help a bit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the same in any gear albeit it's obviously worse if I'm in too high a gear for the speed. 3rd or 4th are the main culprits, doing a steady speed at anywhere between 30 and 50 is where the issue is.

My dealer did a full diagnostic with a laptop and video hooked up to the bike (takes almost a day to set up) and then they rode it out and sent all the diagnostic data back to Ducati (which is what they asked for). That obviously produces a huge amount of profiling and diagnostic information but Ducati came back and just said they don't believe there is anything wrong in the data (despite the bike still doing what it does) and that my dealer needs to tell their customer (i.e. me) that the bike is as it should be and any issues are just part of how it rides with the EU emissions restrictions they are obliged to comply with. So disappointing and clearly not accurate. Either way, I'm out of options now with Ducati it seems who are refusing to accept any responsibility or acknowledge the issue(s).

Once again my dealer (Coventry Ducati) have been great and they are really dismayed by Ducati HQ's response. They are convinced it is running far too lean with the Ducati fuel maps (either with the standard or the sports exhaust systems) and as such, the maps need doing. Because Ducati won't do that, they are going to do it themselves as they are a race bike and tuning facility as well as a dealer. They are planning to fully remap my bike and keep testing it next week until the surging and stuttering is gone. Of course its not an ideal answer but with Ducati refusing to do anything, it doesn't seem like we have much option.

Thanks for all the responses to me on this - its good to feel less alone with it. I love my bike and I just want to get back out on it and enjoy it.

Pete

·
Registered
220 Posts
My bike was terrible on/off throttle with stock pipes and the stock throttle slack, I felt myself being lunged forward every time I went off throttle and backwards when going on throttle.

The throttle spacers fixed that and is a highly recommended mod for some comfort.
With the Termi pipe and map the bike is smoother, which also helped.

I came from a 4 cylinder bike to the Diavel, and I had to adapt to the characteristics of the twin, this bike needed a very different riding style.
When my bike was stock I found myself using 1-3rd gear most of the time, once I hit 70kph/40mph I might put it in 4th.
When stock I never used 6th, cruising around 100kph/60mph was 5th. The bike really hated being below 3500rpm.

With the term pipe and map that changed, I now use 6th from around 90kph/55mph, and 5th from 70kph/40mph.

I also started filling premium fuel (98) on my bike and the engine really like that, much less mechanical noise from engine. (more evident with stock exhaust)

Try putting in a few tanks of 98 rather than 95 fuel and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts