Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attempting to install my zard pipe. In the instructions I need to loosen the front header bolt. I used an open ended wrench and thought it was moving. Unfortunately it was slipping. Now I can't seem to get a grip on the bolt. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tried loosening the header pipe flange nut with a close end wrench, edge of the nut became round also in my case too.

I got a 10mm 'Extractor Ring Wrench', which actually allowed me to loosen the nut easily.
This wrench is dedicated to loosen damaged nut/bolt.
Since edge inside its ring of the wrench bites not nut edge but nut flat face, it loosens damaged nut/bolt.
Test tube Product Tool Wood Font
Silver Font Metal Nickel Auto part
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Tool Rim Font

Its price less than 1000 JPN.
Unfortunately don't know whether such kind of wrench is on market outside Japan or not.

I recommend flat type close end wrench too.
Light Bicycle part Wood Office supplies Font

See rings of flat type close end wrench and common closed end wrench, You can see those shape are different.
Bicycle part Tool Wood Fashion accessory Metal

Rotating a nut/bolt by the former wrench, torque presses larger area of nut/bolt than the later. That avoid damage of nut/bolt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried loosening the header pipe flange nut with a close end wrench, edge of the nut became round also in my case too.

I got a 10mm 'Extractor Ring Wrench', which actually allowed me to loosen the nut easily.
This wrench is dedicated to loosen damaged nut/bolt.
Since edge inside its ring of the wrench bites not nut edge but nut flat face, it loosens damaged nut/bolt. View attachment 111997 View attachment 111998 View attachment 111999
Its price less than 1000 JPN.
Unfortunately don't know whether such kind of wrench is on market outside Japan or not.

I recommend flat type close end wrench too. View attachment 112000
See rings of flat type close end wrench and common closed end wrench, You can see those shape are different. View attachment 112001
Rotating a nut/bolt by the former wrench, torque presses larger area of nut/bolt than the later. That avoid damage of nut/bolt.
Just ordered one off of Amazon. Had the same pattern. Hopefully it will work.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The farther damaged nut is, the more difficult the wrench fits.
Your damaged nut seems much damaged.
However I think you can loosen the nut as long as the wrench fit it.
Good luck.

Mind you, Flat type close end wrench is for undamaged nut/bolt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can you get a pair of Vise-grip pliers on it? Or is it too tight?

I have a few different sizes myself and I have used them to free up rounded bolts/nuts in the past.

Last option would be to split it as mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a few different sizes myself and I have used them to free up rounded bolts/nuts in the past.

I could try with some needle nose vice. But it's such a small space.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well the grips didn't work. Just not enough room to get any type of movement or leverage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The other thing you could try is a small cold chisel, make a bit of a divot in the nut for purchase and then tap it around to loosen the nut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other thing you could try is a small cold chisel, make a bit of a divot in the nut for purchase and then tap it around to loosen the nut.
Did that. Only deformed the brass more. Not recommended. Did more damage and didn't budge. That's about the time I thew in the hat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know there is little room around header flange nut for almost tools to fit nor work.
Also I considered nut splitter and some other tools, then finally reached extractor ring wrench, which end ring is small then fits the nut even small room.
Actually it allowed me to loosen the nut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts