Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi All,

I have meant to upload these pictures for ages now but finally got around to it. :p

They should be pretty self evident but for those from Loma Linda I just modified a Strada Backrest to fit without the use of the Strada tail piece or those ugly, (IMHO), Strada tail-lights.

For those who are wondering the backrest is completely rock-steady and once unbolted, the handrest fully retracted and the rear reflector stuck back on with industrial strength VELCRO the modification is invisible.

Final Installation.

People have asked so here is where I cut the "T" off.

I used a bandsaw and followed the existing angle so it would look nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really interesting, thanks for taking the time to post.

Any report from a backseat?

The seat seems to be sitting quite low, I am wondering if it's more of a buttrest than a backrest

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really interesting, thanks for taking the time to post.

Any report from a backseat?

The seat seems to be sitting quite low, I am wondering if it's more of a buttrest than a backrest
No complaints from the pillions but I think it is more because they are just glad it is there...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Darn it wish I would have seen this before I bought the grab rail conversion. Super good idea. Any concern that the grab handle is weakened or would snap if the back seater leaned back hard? Any thoughts of putting an extension to move the backrest up a little?

This is a really good idea! Good job.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn it wish I would have seen this before I bought the grab rail conversion. Super good idea. Any concern that the grab handle is weakened or would snap if the back seater leaned back hard? Any thoughts of putting an extension to move the backrest up a little?

This is a really good idea! Good job.
The grab handle is solid aluminum. The backrest is some kind of stupid strong fiber reinforced material. I used the casting hole that already existed on the grab handle and lined it up with the molded in metal nut insert of the strada backrest and that is where is came out. Raising it would have been a lot more work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you cut the lower "T" part off the backrest (seems so) and what is the black adapter pictured in the "cowl pictures"? Have the backrest but not sure how to complete the mod. Many thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you cut the lower "T" part off the backrest (seems so) and what is the black adapter pictured in the "cowl pictures"? Have the backrest but not sure how to complete the mod. Many thanks!

Mike
1) I did cut off the "T" part with the 2 bolt holes because its only purpose is to bolt on to the Strada seat bracket and obviously there is no bracket with this mod.

2) The black adapter is actually just the aluminum spacer/washer/bracket that is used on the outside of the Strada seat bracket on the top bolt. It was included with the backrest when I bought it.

You do have to shave down the round cylindrical protusion to make it fit flush on the back of the handrest.

Let me see if I have a picture and I will upload it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post love the look of the butt stop and the fact that you don't need the STRADA tail light and signals.
If you could post more pics of the back rest and the grab handle that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Epic mod! My GF is complaining that when i accellerate she is pushed off due to the shape of the seat (and the awesome powers of the Beast
). I checked out the back/buttrest already but i saw you had to buy the panniers too

Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any way you could post a side and rear pic of the entire bike with the backrest on? I would like to see what it looks like before attempting this myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I sent a PM to the OP - but just incase anyone else can help who may have done this mod.

A few questions i had - if you could please kindly guide.

1. For this installation - you didnt need to buy anything but the backrest? none of that side rails or anything right?

2. What kind of bit [size and type] do you recommend for drilling the hole - and i was hoping you can also give some advice on how far does the hole need to be from the end.

3. So its been a few months since you posted this thread - how has the back rest held on? have you had a passenger who tried to lean? is it strong and safe?

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts