Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day...

Futzing about with my new-to-me 2011, the ability to lock the steering is delightfully intermittent. Much of the time the Waiting for Lock prompt never appears, but it is more likely to take appear if after shut down I reach under the steering stem and fiddle with the sensor's actuation arms and/or jounce the forks a bit.

I know I can have the bike re-flashed to ignore the steering angle switches, but prefer to avoid dealer visits unless there is no other choice. I live in a rural area, and burning part of a work day in the dealer's waiting room or monkeying about with arranging alternate transportation is a hassle.

I've seen the odd post in here mentioning that the arms can be bent to ensure more reliable switch activation, but the arms appear to be either cast metal or plastic and I'm leery of trying to bend the darn things without snapping them. Given the available working room in-situ I suspect that anyone who has bent the arms successfully has done so only after removing the switch from the bike?

I may try applying some heat shrink to the arm ends in order to thicken them, which should result in firmer activation by the pawls on the steering stem. I don't expect it to last forever, but as an alternative to bending it may help.

Has anyone ever explored removing the switch from the bike and cleaning its contacts? I've reconditioned many a bar-mounted switch box in the past via cleaning & lubing... wondering if such an exercise may help this switch as well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had the problem. I didn't bend the plastic arms, but rather the steel posts that plastic arms mount to…. its solved the problem for me. When I took a closer look and you could see "rub" marks over time. You could tell less than 25% of the arms ever made contact to the "block"….

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have what sounds like similar (lack of) contact between the block on the upper fork bridge and the switch arms. I assume that the posts to which you're referring are better accessed with the switch removed from the bike? I haven't had the switch out of the bike yet, and can only see the arms, springs, and mounting bolts while it's in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would try actuating the levers several times as the movement cleans the contacts and usually brings the system to work again. It works for me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting to lean toward dirty contacts being the problem as well, as I've notice that the system will work for a little while after the bike has been out in a good rain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts