Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally installed the 02 manipulator by shiftech. Bike "feels" slighlty smoother, but under 2500 rpm, its still lumpy. On cruising between 3000-4000 rpm, bike feels like a horse in gait at steady throttle where is "feels" like there is a very very slight hesitation and then a slight lurch forward. Does the ECU have to adjust for the o2 manipulator? this happened running it in sport mode, DTC = 4, GPR exhaust, no baffles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So i finally installed the 02 manipulator by shiftech. Bike "feels" slighlty smoother, but under 2500 rpm, its still lumpy. On cruising between 3000-4000 rpm, bike feels like a horse in gait at steady throttle where is "feels" like there is a very very slight hesitation and then a slight lurch forward. Does the ECU have to adjust for the o2 manipulator? this happened running it in sport mode, DTC = 4, GPR exhaust, no baffles.
First off I would say don't ride under 3k its just too low. My bike is buttery smooth all the way down there though with manipulator. Ecu does not need to adjust. But you can know its working if the outside temp reading on your bike went down like 40 degrees. I noticed a huge difference with it but I'm realizing not everyone has the same experience with the same mods. I tried rexxer flash didn't work for me but worked for others and 02 manipulator worked wonders for me.

Our difference is you have gpr I have cw and k&n filter. I would say if ifs not running perfect like my bike is now try something else. I wasn't happy at all with rexxer flash but extremely happy with manipulator.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off I would say don't ride under 3k its just too low. My bike is buttery smooth all the way down there though with manipulator. Ecu does not need to adjust. But you can know its working if the outside temp reading on your bike went down like 40 degrees. I noticed a huge difference with it but I'm realizing not everyone has the same experience with the same mods. I tried rexxer flash didn't work for me but worked for others and 02 manipulator worked wonders for me.

Our difference is you have gpr I have cw and k&n filter. I would say if ifs not running perfect like my bike is now try something else. I wasn't happy at all with rexxer flash but extremely happy with manipulator.
thanks for the tip, will play around with different solutions for air filter, exhaust baffles and may try rexxer ecu flash

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would be interested to see some live data with this installed. I don't know the specifics of Ducati's engine management strategies but normally if you installed something like this it would run a bit richer until you ran it in closed loop long enough for the fuel trims to compensate. (once it goes in to closed loop the ECU will pull fuel, or negative fuel trims until the o2's are switching at stoich).

But, people say it works so maybe there is more to it.

Personally I think the cure to low RPM smoothness (as good as it could be anyway) is to keep it out of closed loop operation altogether.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Hi, two things may have made the Rexxer not work for you.
1. The cables to the O2 sensors need to be disconnected. The Rexxer turns off the warning light amongst other things.
2. The earlier version I tried in December did not have the O2 sensor turned off. My installer notified Rexxer and a new version came out late February that did.
I now have that version in my bike and running. I am extremely happy with how it runs under 4,000 rpm. Before it was surging and running roughly. Tried it with both CW's and Standard.

Glad to hear the manipulator is working for you too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, two things may have made the Rexxer not work for you.
1. The cables to the O2 sensors need to be disconnected. The Rexxer turns off the warning light amongst other things.
2. The earlier version I tried in December did not have the O2 sensor turned off. My installer notified Rexxer and a new version came out late February that did.
I now have that version in my bike and running. I am extremely happy with how it runs under 4,000 rpm. Before it was surging and running roughly. Tried it with both CW's and Standard.

Glad to hear the manipulator is working for you too.
Yeah I had the cables unplugged. I wonder if the second thing was the problem. That's exactly how it ran very rough at low rpm. I will run this by shift tech. Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's what it does.
I emailed them a few days ago and asked-

"Does the o2 manipulator richen the mixture by reporting a false/cooler IAT or does it actually keep it out of closed loop altogether?"

Response was-

"It changes the outside air temperatur reading and makes the ECU believe it's 25degrees colder outside then the actual temperatur and therefore makes the bike richer over the full rpm range."

Nothing mentioned there about keeping it out of closed loop. Usually only minimum coolant temp needs to be reached in order to enable closed loop o2 control. I've never seen anything that would disable closed loop with a cooler intake air temp but again, not sure if the specific strategies on this bike.

I'm still guessing it does not disable closed loop operation. If so then what temperature range needs to be met in order to do so? That would mean if it's 95deg outside and the IAT is reporting 70 degrees it keeps it out of closed loop? Don't see how that's possible as a stock bike on a 70 degree day will still enter closed loop.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I finally took a look at this device on their website and for $95, it comes with a plug and play cable that has a resistor built in. Basically it puts a resistor inline of the intake air temp sensor. You can also do this yourself by splicing in a resistor for less than $1, except you'll have to cut the wiring yourself.
No way this makes your bike run in "open loop". This might cause your fuel trims to max out past it's range during closed loop operation, and definitely will affect the open loop part of the map. Without datalogging the fuel trims, I don't know what the range of the fuel trims are.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Parts like this annoy me. It's one bike uneducated guess, designed to fudge the issue and to create a messy patch for a more complex issue.

I have another bike with a lambda sensor hooked to the ECU. A few owners go down the route of sticking a resistor in, with mixed results. Thry're usually the ones who swap PC maps even though they have different configurations.

The truth is, if you want perfect fuelling, there is no quick fix. The bikes needs mapping on a dyno, once your engine/intake/exhaust changes are in place. Power Commanders are probably your best cheap router less you any after,aren't ECU's (in which case I can ask some questions)

·
Registered
465 Posts
The true fix for this would be to modify the ECU (ala rexxer) to either change the target a/f ration in closed loop mode, or run it only in open loop mode. I'm not sure which method rexxer used, but from the fact that you disconnect the O2 sensors, it sounds like it's making it run in open loop mode only. I'd be curious to see what you can modify with the rexxer program, but the cost is too steep for a single user. Only a vendor who resells flashes can make this financially viable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The true fix for this would be to modify the ECU (ala rexxer) to either change the target a/f ration in closed loop mode, or run it only in open loop mode.
Agreed but narrowband o2's are only accurate at stoich so it would need to be a closed loop wideband if you wanted to cruise closed loop at richer than stoich.

Personally I don't expect much for fuel economy anyway, so i would be happy with running in open loop all the time. Even at 14.0-1 air fuel during cruise that would probably be enough to smooth it out. Probably could watch the rpms surge with the o2 sensor oscillation if I had the ability to see graphed live data.

I keep hearing Tuneboy is working on something for our bikes as well. I would definitely be interested in a solution to edit the stock ecm parameters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts