Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read back quite a ways in most forum areas... but bear with me!

It seems there aren't too many issues with the Diavel and no really big ones? All in all I should many k's out of the bike... many over 50,000 k's yet?

It chews tyres compared to what I'm used to so if I budget on 6000-8000 k's for rears and a bit more for fronts thats a ballpark?

The fob thingy.... I imagine if the fob and bike get too far apart the bike will shut down? As in... a thief knows the system ...you are near bike and someone jumped on, hit starter and tried to ride off?

In Australia we have 91, 95 and 98 octane fuel... 95 is ok or do you need to run 98 on the 2015? Compression must be pretty high?

As my bones age I'm getting less able to run down the highway for hours on end with wind buffeting... I'm told you can get a Strada kit for the 2015 which comprises rear tail section frame replace along with crappy indicators compared to stock ones.. bags and a screen... and oh a different more comfortable seat... for somewhere between 1500-2000 Aussie dollars? Anyone tried the screen off that kit? I'm told its quite tall? And being factory it should bolt up well?

I'm really torn between the carbon/red and base model... love the dark look of the base model but love the wheels of the carbon. It will be a base model in the end I'd say... $6000 difference here between them.... I can get termis for both bikes (diavel and 821) easy for $6000!

Any of you guys here in South East Qld (Australia) getting busted for termis and having to remove them?

I was told minor service was about $600 and majors with belt change (at 3 yrs) was around $1500.

There are Shell Oil stickers all over the Ducatis at the dealer.... is that a factory specified thing or dealer putting stickers on to sell Shell Oil?

Thanks for newb tolerance...

71Rider

·
expert member
3,211 Posts
You answered most of your own questions, but service should be $300 and $1000. There are many screen options that don't involve changing the rear lights if you want to keep the stock ones but you need to change if you want the rear back rest.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's a long list. I don't know all the answers.

The keyless ignition is stupid IMO. I have to fumble for it when I get gas. I walked 50 feet from the bike while it was running and it did,not shut off. I would love a normal key.

I have 3200 miles on my first tires and they look about halfway done.

My dealer said the valve service at 15000 miles is $900 dollars US.

I do not like windshields.

Love the Termis. Wheels don't make the bike sound better or feel more powerful.

Manufacturers have marketing deals with other companies. Oil is oil as long as it's the right weight and blend.

You'll love whichever one you get. This bike rocks!

OK I'm done.

·
The Don
1,215 Posts
95 RON = approx 91 here in north america. So 95 is fine at your neck of the woods.

Key fob: I kid you not, I did my test ride with no key fob, the dealer kept it. I went out for 40 min...about 20 KM easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I change my tyres as a set as it is quite hard on the front tyre, getting approx 6000kms.
My preference is 98 RON ( shell V power ) but will run no problems on 95. The key fob thing is just something you have to get used to, I personally like killing the ignition switch and then just walking away. Can be a problem when riding another bike and forgetting to remove key, I did that with a loan bike and left it in ignition whilst doing some shopping!
As for the Termis i have full system with the db killers left in and have pulled up for random breath testing, the cops either ignore it or some have given it a good look over but let me go after giving negative test. It would probabley be a different story if you were caught speeding. I ride all over the gold coast hinterland and Northern NSW and if I see a police car I change up a gear to lower the noise. They do set up specific operations to catch speeding bikes here on the popular roads and I wouldnt want to be caught with my exhaust.
It may happen some day its just a risk you take if you decide to modify your bike. Worst case is you get a defect notice, put your stock exhaust back on, get compliance then change back again!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Once started the bike will not shut down with distanmce from the fob, but will not restart if turned off till you bring the fob back. So if Speed Racer had stopped fr a pee while on his test ride he would not of been able to restart the bike (unless he knew the pin code)

I traded a triumph Tiger 1050 on the Diavel (2015 Dark with full Termi's) the Diavel seat is more comfortable Imo, and my daughter say's the pillion seat is better also, dont miss having a screen until after about 130 kph (or so Im told lol)

BTW what part of SEQ are you in Im Maryborough

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
many over 50,000 k's yet? Yep, almost done 80,000km.

It chews tyres compared to what I'm used to so if I budget on 6000-8000 k's for rears and a bit more for fronts thats a ballpark?
No, don't let your front get bald. I usually only get 6,000km on both and then it is down to canvas.

The fob thingy.... I imagine if the fob and bike get too far apart the bike will shut down? As in... a thief knows the system ...you are near bike and someone jumped on, hit starter and tried to ride off? No, it doesn't shut down by itself and the FOB needs to be quite close to get it to go.

In Australia we have 91, 95 and 98 octane fuel... 95 is ok or do you need to run 98 on the 2015? I use 98 but don't notice the difference with 95.

As my bones age I'm getting less able to run down the highway for hours on end with wind buffeting...
Small screen is fine. Just crouch lower if you are giving it a blat and you think your head will fall off.

I'm really torn between the carbon/red and base model... love the dark look of the base model but love the wheels of the carbon.
You need to love the bike. You can get different wheels any time.

I was told minor service was about $600 and majors with belt change (at 3 yrs) was around $1500.
Roughly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
wasn't mentioned yet, so I'll chime in. This bike has a magic airflow... I haven't taken any long trips but i have spent a couple hours at a time in the saddle and i swear the wind fatigue is lower than any other bike i've ridden. The low front end seems to make for a very calm airflow. Try riding for a bit before you start planning windscreens. Just a thought...

For comparison, the windscreen on my sport bike is effective but the Diavel is a better, more calm ride on the highway by a large margin. My VTX with no added windscreen I always thought was quite calm for long trip, but the Diavel again, is SO lacking any wind buffeting that I can imagine 300-500 miles in a day without caring for a windscreen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wind is only an issue over 80 miles an hour for me and I'm 6'4....
The strada seat helps because it has a backstop for your ass.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm in SE Qld and never been pulled for the open Termi pipes.
I did get some funny looks by a RBT team recently after passing the test and starting her up.
One of the cops just said "Awesome mate!"

Reactions: johnno

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thx everyone ! Some good info there.

I cant believe the fob doesn't cut the engine when separated from bike? I suppose its a safety issue... wouldn't want it to stop communicating mid-corner at 120kph!

I might try and get a copy of the Owner's Manual and have a read.

Trying to buy some Pirelli shares regarding the tyre wear but you wanna play you gotta pay!

Seems the cops are ok with termis if you aren't being a dickhead in front of them! Talking to young rider the other day at a dealership and he popped a small mono and did 20kph over speed limit... cost him $1000 and 8 points as a cop was a few cars back in unmarked car! He said he only had bike licence back a month and has only 4 points!!! Whoops!!! He got 6 months last time so would be a year this time I reckon.

I've had a funny thing happen lately regarding the last two RBTs... they waved me through on motorcycle and pulled the cars behind me! Usually I get pulled every time... always been zero as I never drink and ride. Must have been car only day... or I look like a recovering alco or something. hehehehe

I was drooling at Diavel and 821 in showroom yesterday (again) is there no cure for this chronic disease! Hehehehehehe My wife says "You think people are strange if they DONT ride a motorcycle".

I was reading the "What did you do to your Diavel today" thread. Some very nice bling available for Diavel and some of you have it bad like me!!! Some beautiful motorcycles in there... and the custom thread! Stunning!

Heading down the coast for the long weekend (G20 summit in our city this weekend)... taking the little bikes (KTM 390 Duke, Suzuki TU250 modded) in the van and will ride the area around Mt Warning.

71Rider

1 - 12 of 12 Posts