Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 2021 Diavel S application, which would you choose and why?

I picked these because they are the only tires available in the US and even they are hard to find.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One vote for Rosso3.

I've used Power3 once while owned Diavel Gen.1.
I was satisfied with its grip, handling And life.
But I was dissatisfied with the appearance. Since its profile is sharper than Pireli, no matter how much I ran, the edge of the tread never touched the ground. So I didn't like it because the edge was still new and looked like chicken.

We can use up to the edge of Rosso3. It looks is a bit of aggressive.
Plus I am satisfied with its grip, hadling and life. I replaced first Rosso3 at odo 6,000km.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a new set of Rosso IIIs on my XDiavel yesterday and promptly ran through about 200 miles of the tightest terrain within 2 hrs of Austin. Very happy :)

As TalkRiver said, my rears are wearing off the top of the letters. My last set was also Pirelli, but they were on the bike when I got it so hard to say how long they live. I can say they looked pretty new when I got them, and wore significantly in the 1,000 miles I put on them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess it comes down to your riding style.
And there are just 2 or 3 tires to choose from as very few make rears in Diavel spec.

I'm at 5300km on the Rossi III the bike came with, I think I can get another 2000km out of it.
I usually go through 2 rears for every front, but not sure that will be the case with the Diavel.

Not many options out there, I so I guess I will stick with te Rosso III, or IV if that is brought out in Diavel spec.
with my riding, I'm sure a touring tire would be fine as well.

My main wear is to the top of the letters, and I have on occasions been all the way to the edge, mening my "chicken strips" are about 10mm.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,526 Posts
For a 2021 Diavel S application, which would you choose and why?
I would say: use the tires you get. 240 / 45r17 is an odd size to get. Often Michelin is a little cheaper than Pirelli, but harder to get. I would say that this is a bit of a matter of taste and enough not much different for the regular rider between these brands, but mostly on how far you can ride on a set of tires (I will share my experiences)

I Know only about:
Pirelli Rosso II & III and Michelin Pilot Power 3 & Power RS which are delivered in our size

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm at 5300km on the Rossi III the bike came with, I think I can get another 2000km out of it.
I usually go through 2 rears for every front, but not sure that will be the case with the Diavel.
Are you still on the tire that came with the bike? The first set often lasts a little longer due to kinder riding through the brake in period.
But as I have experienced it with my 9 sets of tires the last 3 years - the front tires with me last 500 ~ 1000km longer than the rear tyre.
But now I have only started to change at the same time, as there is almost no difference in the degree of wear.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As mentioned earlier 9 sets with tires of 3 years and a total of 42 000km riding on 2 bikes.

But again a topic that is constantly open to discussion and a bit of a waste of time, I feel (and I will be contradicted) when "everyone" has their own views.

But has as I said, I've been through all 4 tire versions available in 240 / 45-17 Pirelli Rosso II & III and Michelin Pilot Power 3 & Power RS.

Rosso III is what is now delivered with the bikes and which the dealer has and therefore easiest to get. I find these somewhat more expensive than Michelin Pilot Power 3. I think these probably do not make a big difference, although Michelin lasts a lot longer. Normally I get 30 ~ 50% longer duration on Michelin Pilot Power 3 than Pirelli Rosso 3.
Of is Rosso 3 I get about legal 4,000 ~ 4,500km to minimum tread depth and 500 ~ 1000km with total slicks. Pilot Power 3 approx. 6,000 ~ 6,500km and 7,000 km shiny worn.

The tires I've use now are Pilot Power 3, as the price difference is about 40% lower compare to Pirelli Rosso III
As you can see in the pictures, I use my tires up. There is almost more left in the middle than on the sides. No chicken strips ... I have a very active riding style. This has only been for street use.

So again, use the tires that available for you.

Attachments

Reactions: gljuss

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never had tires that bald, I replace them when I get to the wear indicators.
Never track the bike, and I don't have a very aggressive riding style, it was just this year that I got the suspension set up so that I felt confident pushing the bike as well.
But I mostly use the bike for cruising so it sees very little hard use.

My riding style usually get me 7000km out of a high performance rear tire.
That is what I got from a Rosso II and a few set om Metzeler M77 on my old S1000R.
Think I had 18.000km on the Rosso II front tire on my S1000R, that was at least 4000km too much.

I just checked, the bike has done 5400km (3300km in 2020, 2100km in 2021), the Rosso III rear the bike came with has 2-3mm left to the wear indicators.
Should get another 2000km out of the rear for sure.
Front has the same 2-3mm left to the wear indicators, and is showing early signs of cupping.
I guess I will probably end up replacing both when the time comes, probably after about 7500-8000km.

Next season will probably start with new springs, so I will need to find a good suspension setup again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats very impressive Ghorgon. I've never had a set of any tires wear that evenly. When taking them too far, I get cords showing in the middle. You are very lucky to live close enough to terrain allowing you to wear the edges out before the middle. :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
As mentioned earlier 9 sets with tires of 3 years and a total of 42 000km riding on 2 bikes.

But again a topic that is constantly open to discussion and a bit of a waste of time, I feel (and I will be contradicted) when "everyone" has their own views.

But has as I said, I've been through all 4 tire versions available in 240 / 45-17 Pirelli Rosso II & III and Michelin Pilot Power 3 & Power RS.

Rosso III is what is now delivered with the bikes and which the dealer has and therefore easiest to get. I find these somewhat more expensive than Michelin Pilot Power 3. I think these probably do not make a big difference, although Michelin lasts a lot longer. Normally I get 30 ~ 50% longer duration on Michelin Pilot Power 3 than Pirelli Rosso 3.
Of is Rosso 3 I get about legal 4,000 ~ 4,500km to minimum tread depth and 500 ~ 1000km with total slicks. Pilot Power 3 approx. 6,000 ~ 6,500km and 7,000 km shiny worn.

The tires I've use now are Pilot Power 3, as the price difference is about 40% lower compare to Pirelli Rosso III
As you can see in the pictures, I use my tires up. There is almost more left in the middle than on the sides. No chicken strips ... I have a very active riding style. This has only been for street use.

So again, use the tires that available for you.
Wow Ghorgon, you definitely get your moneys worth on your tires. I’m on my 3rd set of tires. First ones where the rosso 2’s and replaced them after 9000kms. 2nd set I went the michelin power rs. Aside from getting a nail I hit about 10K with this set. Unfortunately they discontinued these tires in Canada. 3rd set I came back to the rosso 2 as the rosso 3’s where sold out when I was looking for new tires. I could never get my tires to how bald they are. My issue is I’m about 5’10 and about 250lbs. Lots of straight roads and I get the flat spot off the tires. Gets sketchy at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
All I want to say, we may not notice much different of what kind of brand etc.
Of course there are different shape between Pirelli and Michelin that allows you to get rid of the chicken strips. But again twisty road of and ridingstyle depents here. Most Diavel riders are not so aggressive supersport riders either.
My experience are that you can get some more kilometres out of Michelin and save som money. (That you can spend to buy parts from me - or go to a restaurant)
I've got the Power RS once, great tires. They say same drain properties as other, but lack of pattern in the tires i did not feel so comfortable to ride in the rain. Doe to more track tyre, feel the worn quit quickly.

So again, Rosso III & Pilot Power 3 are good option.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Pirelli tire carcas is usually softer than Michelins.
Meaning the pirellis give less feedback as the tire flexes and absorbs more of the road.
Some riders prefer a "muted" ride, others want to feel every speck of dust on the road.
For some, a hard tire with lots of feedback results in "information overload" and you are not able to ride as hard as on a softer tire when you are not feeling everything the tire does.

Found this online.

Bridgestone = Stiff Carcass
Dunlop = Middle; neither stiff nor soft
Michelin = Soft Carcass

Pirelli = Very soft Carcass

Meaning the Michelin is a stiffer tire that deforms less (hence why you cant ride it to the very edge) and should provide more road feel than the Pirelli.
The lower flex/deformation also means the harder tire wears less, meaning you can get a few more km/mi out of the Michelins.

If you want more feedback, I guess the Michelin is the way to go, if you want comfort, the Pirellis seems to be the better choice.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So it end up with your own preference of riding style which tyres are best for you. So there are no correct answer of Pirelli or Michelin are best.

And I will say, the best tyre are the tyre your are able to buy.

Oh, yes @Noggie no problem to worn out Michelin . See picture - 😉

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts