Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 DIAVEL 1260S. I'm accessorizing and tonight tried to install the Rizoma billet aluminum gas cap. Looked so simple with only 6 screws on the outside. Once I had those removed the original gas cap would not pull out. So I pried it and eventually the entire assembly popped out breaking a small plastic nipple on the right side, as viewed looking forward. There was also a plastic nipple on the left side but there was no clamp so the hose popped right off.

What is the small hose for that connects to the right side? A vent? I'm guessing the left side is a drain and I was able to reconnect that.

Without instructions this was a nightmare to install. I put back the plastic assembly, (a little banged up) the gasket around it and then screwed down the Rizoma really tight so it sealed up. The gasket warped a little, definitely not as clean looking as stock, but I got it on. Getting the plastic assembly and gasket set back in place was a pain in the butt too.

Should I be concerned about that right side hose now not being directly connected? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to install Rizoma grips. having trouble on the throttle side. do you know of a converter? I have the 2019 Diavel 1260.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar problem. However, was able to install it. Did you get it resolved?
How so? Seems quite difficult to find a decent installation manual or video on how to properly install this Rizoma gas cap. It's definitely NOT as simple as you'd expect with the 6 rim screws on the outer surface.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You need to remove the tank covers on both sides and the center piece.
This is because the overflow tube connects sideways at the 3 or 9 o'clock position under the center panel.

In order to remove the tank covers you need to remove the front turn indicator pods.

So yeah, it's a couple of hours job, but manageable if you are up for it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Not so fast now boys ...
When you have this information in the first post, it is unnecessary to have any panel removed and the installation can be done in 15 min.

Well, well can only speak for the assembly of CNC Racing gasscap, but would also think that Rizoma used Stock Ducati plastic base ....

Unscrew the 6 bolts, lift the gas cap on the left side, so that the hose that does not have clips bounces off. You will now be able to turn the entire gas cap so that you have access to the two small bolts on the underside that hold the aluminum outer ring and the plastic base together. Unscrew these two, do not want to use them any more (applies to CNC Racing)

It is now you have to be flexible, pry the plastic base down, at the same time as you get on the hose again (play drain / overflow from the gas tank) it helps with a little silicone / lubrication on the gasket etc.
The new gas cap will be connecting with the 6 bolts - voila

unfortunately I did not take any pictures during my installation

Attachments

Reactions: MajorMajor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not so fast now boys ...
When you have this information in the first post, it is unnecessary to have any panel removed and the installation can be done in 15 min.
Good effort, well done! I admit I opted for the ultra cautious approach of removing the side panels etc as I saw the youtube videos of the guys breaking bits here and there doing his swap.. In the end for me I think I did it the best way, as I found that there was zero play in the tube that needs to be reconnected so it would have been near on impossible to reconnect it with your method, as I actually needed to pull it through the bike more. It wasn't actually connected to begin with, I found!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Ghorgon63- thanks for sharing. Does that CNC gas cap lock at all? I passed on that one and went with the Rizoma as I don't want some punk being able to open my gas cap when I'm not near my parked bike somewhere.

And on a BSD scale (beard scale of difficulty), is this a 1 (easy), 2 (medium challenge) or 3 (difficult) with your approach to removing the gas cap?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Ghorgon63- thanks for sharing. Does that CNC gas cap lock at all? I passed on that one and went with the Rizoma as I don't want some punk being able to open my gas cap when I'm not near my parked bike somewhere.

And on a BSD scale (beard scale of difficulty), is this a 1 (easy), 2 (medium challenge) or 3 (difficult) with your approach to removing the gas cap?
You can buy different caps, just a twist off like shown, or a regular lock/key one.

I'm considering the non lockable one as my bike is parked in my own garage and I never leave it parked outside for a long time.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Normally I would say 1, but it could be 2 or a nightmare....

Cnc have also key cap... but that & Rizoma are in my eyes pointless... why would you bring with you an other key? If so I would stick to the stock...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Normally I would say 1, but it could be 2 or a nightmare....

Cnc have also key cap... but that & Rizoma are in my eyes pointless... why would you bring with you an other key? If so I would stick to the stock...
Except Ducati has this absolutely stupid thing where you need the key to close it.
Every other bike I have had you can just click the cap closed, but oh no, Ducati makes you use the key to close it.

There is a few things I really hate about this bike and cannot understand why that was the chosen solution.
There is no question that the Italians know how to make a beautiful looking bike, but there seems to be a few form over function choices that have been made.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That's why it is a Italian. Either you love it or hate it.... Is is a beautiful Seniorita

I see some improvement from my 2016 Xdiavel to the Diavel 2021 in some solutions and details...

The Design are in the Dna for Italian, but but structure and rehability they get from the Germany's owner...

But enough of-topic now..

If anybody have problem, feel free to visit my place and we can do this over a beer or two

1 - 15 of 15 Posts