Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Has your XDiavel had any reliability or quality issues?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm about to press the button on a new XDiavel Dark. I'm seeing quite a few posts here regarding reliability - rear brakes, warped disks, fork seals, fuel sensor, belt drive, rear hub etc, etc.

This make me a tad nervous about taking the plunge. However, people tend not to post unless they do have an issue, so it might be that only 0.1% of owners are experiencing any issues at all - those unfortunate owners then post the issues here and that creates a 'skewed' impression of reliability. Or maybe lots of people are having issues, and the bike does have a quality issue.

Hence, it would be brilliant if people could respond in this thread indicating the age of their bike, miles covered, issues experienced. This is regardless of whether you've had an issue or not. That would then give us all a reasonable idea of the general state of affairs re XDiavel reliability. And help me make my decision!

(I've also added an optional poll)

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Apart from quite a few recalls, not really had any major issues, its quite hard on tyres being heavy and powerful and brakes to!
Would imagine yours be free of recalls be all done I guess. I have had the total mileage disappear from dash but seems to be isolated to mine or has happened on other Ducati's. Dealer can reset etc but do not know cause.
Fork stanchions pitted again dealer blamed riding in all weather salt, etc but never had this on any other bike before many much cheaper to!
Had rear indicators fail, inside mount it cracked and damaged wiring, could be down to dodgy part or hit with out me knowing and I used to ride in all weathers!

Not had any of the things in your list.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I’ve had the Xdiavel for over 4 years now. Aside from general maintenance here and there, wear and tear of the motorcycle. I’m about 20K in total. It’s been surprisingly reliable as what I heard about Ducati’s.

Issues that I have come across, the kickstand recall was done twice. First time it was fixed I never had a problem but they ended up replacing again due to another recall

The rear brakes have been done. They have changed the brake lines about 2 years ago and no problems ever since.

Recently have done my fork seals on my bike since it was leaking, wear and tear issue

Pretty much next big thing on my list is the desmo service which should be at the end of the month….yay!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have about 40K miles on my 2016 and all I can say is thank god for the aftermarket warranty. Biggest issues were leaking water pumps both times I did the DESMO service. That was about a $1000 add on to the DESMO charge both times. My belt was damaged by a rock in the first 3K miles but that was covered by Ducati as a show of good faith. Also had a minor head gasket leak and the kickstand broke before the recall was issued. Everything was covered by warranty except the kickstand. Lots of time in the shop but that's after a lot of miles. If you're gonna ride a lot of miles get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had the Xdiavel for over 4 years now. Aside from general maintenance here and there, wear and tear of the motorcycle. I’m about 20K in total. It’s been surprisingly reliable as what I heard about Ducati’s.

Issues that I have come across, the kickstand recall was done twice. First time it was fixed I never had a problem but they ended up replacing again due to another recall

The rear brakes have been done. They have changed the brake lines about 2 years ago and no problems ever since.

Recently have done my fork seals on my bike since it was leaking, wear and tear issue

Pretty much next big thing on my list is the desmo service which should be at the end of the month….yay!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What was the cost to replace your fork seals?
Noticed mine are leaking.
Did Ducati dealership do the work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm about to press the button on a new XDiavel Dark. I'm seeing quite a few posts here regarding reliability - rear brakes, warped disks, fork seals, fuel sensor, belt drive, rear hub etc, etc.

This make me a tad nervous about taking the plunge. However, people tend not to post unless they do have an issue, so it might be that only 0.1% of owners are experiencing any issues at all - those unfortunate owners then post the issues here and that creates a 'skewed' impression of reliability. Or maybe lots of people are having issues, and the bike does have a quality issue.

Hence, it would be brilliant if people could respond in this thread indicating the age of their bike, miles covered, issues experienced. This is regardless of whether you've had an issue or not. That would then give us all a reasonable idea of the general state of affairs re XDiavel reliability. And help me make my decision!

(I've also added an optional poll)

Many thanks in advance.
I got mine nearly two years ago. I had a few minor issues that were all covered by the warranty. The clutch slave went, the back brakes went all soft so they fixed it but a year later they went soft again. Now they have my bike booked in for a complete up grade on the lines and are going to reroute them too. My fuel gage tells me I'm empty after a few miles of riding, this will be fixed when they do my breaks.
I found that the suspension was not any good for me, I'm around 260 pounds fully kitted up and backpack on so I changed it out front and back. Not cheap but what a difference!
Great bike and even though I have had a few little niggles I am so happy I got it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2016 XD has 22k km and so far no issues. Rear brakes had to be fixed after winter in the beginning, but since the recall was done 2 years ago, no problems anymore.

Hope the next years will be as effortless from maintenance point of view.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 40K miles on my 2016 and all I can say is thank god for the aftermarket warranty. Biggest issues were leaking water pumps both times I did the DESMO service. That was about a $1000 add on to the DESMO charge both times. My belt was damaged by a rock in the first 3K miles but that was covered by Ducati as a show of good faith. Also had a minor head gasket leak and the kickstand broke before the recall was issued. Everything was covered by warranty except the kickstand. Lots of time in the shop but that's after a lot of miles. If you're gonna ride a lot of miles get the extended warranty.
Hi Homebrewer.
How was the head gasket leak repaired?

·
Registered
40 Posts
2018 Xdiavel S.
love this bike and only minor issues.

Rear brake spongy and had recall done but still pump and leave 10lbs weight on rear brake every night.

fuel sensor jacked and my dealer won’t do anything for it.

clutch fluid reservoir leaked and ruined paint just on reservoir itself. Dealer won’t do anything.

other than that no issues besides my local service shop (not Ducati) dropped and dented my tank doing the 9k service. His insurance is getting me a new tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts