Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
does any one have the steps involved to removing/ replacing the rear shock as I have ordered the wilbers unit with mechanical preload and will be fitting next week so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated
I went with the Andreani kit. It took 3 hours. Better than stock but I wish I would have purchased a Nitron or Ohlins instead. Good luck!

1.Remove rear wheel (taking 38lbs of stress off frame and shock) (Optional but really good idea)
2. Remove exhaust heat shields.
3. Loosen and lower exhaust from under seat connected to muffler (Optional unless you do not have clearance to pull remote reservoir through) More of a tip/trick than requirement.
4. Remove L/H Frame brace to give you access to shock bolt
5. Remove shock and reverse order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received my nitron R2 shock. I have a question regarding removing the left frame bracket in order to access the front shock Bolt. I am using the Abba lift, which lists from the swingarm pivot bolt. How can I remove that bracket with the bike lifted since that bolt goes through it? It seems like something bad would happen if I try to take it off before lifting it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't remove the left plate or rear wheel
I only removed the passenger foot peg mounts, exhaut heat sheilds and upper exhaust bracket
I hung rear if the bike just above o2 sensor with side stand down
I then removed swing arm bolt to shocker and linkage first
Then I could swing the rocker so the linkage went forward and shocker back so I could get to forward shocker bolt
It took me less than a hour to remove stock shocker and fit my new wilbers
The hardest part was getting the swing arm in the right spot with linkage and new shocke to fit rear bolt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to make sure we're on the same page... That bracket that I circled in red, that's the plate I'm referring to. Maybe my terminology is incorrect. I don't see how you can get to the bolt without removing that. How do I hold the bike up if I'm taking the swingarm bolt out? What size socket fits the swingarm Bolt? Also, does the swingarm Bolt hold that bracket in place, or is that just a hole and the bracket is held on by the smaller bolts around it? I hope I make sense.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just to make sure we're on the same page... That bracket that I circled in red, that's the plate I'm referring to. Maybe my terminology is incorrect. I don't see how you can get to the bolt without removing that. How do I hold the bike up if I'm taking the swingarm bolt out? What size socket fits the swingarm Bolt? Also, does the swingarm Bolt hold that bracket in place, or is that just a hole and the bracket is held on by the smaller bolts around it? I hope I make sense.
You do not need to remove the side plates or the swing arm bolt. Undo the spring mount furthest away from the swing arm to allow it to detach from the swing arm. The swing arm will then be allowed to lower. The lower spring mount bolt will be available as the bracket swivels to allow you to get to the hex bolt. Removing the wheel simply allows the swing arm to lower further down and it is easier with the wheel off

·
Registered
2016 XDiavel & 2020 Diavel 1260S
6 Posts
I only removed the passenger foot peg mounts, exhaut heat sheilds and upper exhaust bracket
Then I could swing the rocker so the linkage went forward and shocker back so I could get to forward shocker bolt
The hardest part was getting the swing arm in the right spot with linkage and new shocke to fit rear bolt
Hi Brenton - I tried this but could not get to the screws holding the upper exhaust bracket...
Do you still have the original exhaust fitted? How did you get the bracket off (it's totally in the way of the resevoir)
Thanks in advance for some advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Brenton - I tried this but could not get to the screws holding the upper exhaust bracket...
Do you still have the original exhaust fitted? How did you get the bracket off (it's totally in the way of the resevoir)
Thanks in advance for some advice.
Sorry, I did not respond sooner. I hope you figured it out. I have removed and installed the XDiavel shock a few times. The only way is to remove the exhaust. You do not need to remove rear wheel or side plate. Ignore my previous instructions from the manual, they don't help lol. Below is how I have done it now 4 times and will make a video when I install new Zard exhaust next month.

1. Remove L/R lower fairings.
(Start on right side)
2. Remove battery.
3. Remove bolt behind battery holding exhaust heat shield.
4. Remove bolt holding bottom electronics bracket up. (This will give you flex in the plastic you need when removing exhaust header)
(Left Side)
5. Remove two bolts (from the bottom) holding ignition and move it out of the way
6. Remove heat shield bolts and heat shield
7. Remove 3 exhaust header nuts 10mm. (Tip, nuts are soft copper, make sure your wrench and socket are fully seated or they will strip. If they don't want to loosen, try tightning a bit to break torque then loosen)
Tip: Use a small wrench for the one in the back on the outside and a socket, extension, and swivel for the other two.
8. Remove exhaust springs
9. Remove bolts holding muffler and get it out if the way. (Tip: if header pipe won't come off muffler try spraying some WD-40 or other lubricant. Use anti-seize when putting back together)
10. Break the torque on the rear shock bolt but don't pull it out yet.
11. Lift bike with a jack in the middle sowly until you can remove the rear shock bolt easily with not tension on the shock.
12. Once you have the rear of the shock free pull it all the way back so you can get to the front bolt and pull that out.
13. Finallly, remove reservior and drop it straight down and pull shock and reservior out the left side.

Reinstall everything in reverse.
Tip for exhaust: slide hear pipe onto muffler but do not connect to motor. Lift and slide muffler onto rear header first and align front header as you go up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry so are these bolts you removed?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

21 - 31 of 31 Posts