Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy / difficult is it to remove the XDiavel rear shock? I want to take the shock to a rebuilder with a lot of experience to see if I can get the harshness taken out... Regards

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been making some adjustments to the shock, with modest results. First I tightened the spring a full revolution (make a small dot with a Sharpie on one of the tines--helps you see what you've done), then went a half-circle counter-clockwise on the rebound adjuster. Didn't like the results. Then went back to stock on rebound and added a half-turn clockwise. A bit better. But I just think it's not that great a shock. Why didn't a fancy (and expensive) bike like the XDS get Ohlins? I weigh about 170# in full gear, and if anyone has miraculous adjustments beyond what I've done, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I spoke to the rebuilder. He is well know (globally) in motorcycle racing circles for work done on shocks. He says although the OEM shock is crap, he has a device to check the before and after effects. Apparently he has a few tricks up his sleeve and I have the promise that if I'm not satisfied I do not have to pay...

Is there any proof / report back from riders that changed the rear shock that can honestly say they got a much better riding experience after changing the rear shock on the XDiavel?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks. I spoke to the rebuilder. He is well know (globally) in motorcycle racing circles for work done on shocks. He says although the OEM shock is crap, he has a device to check the before and after effects. Apparently he has a few tricks up his sleeve and I have the promise that if I'm not satisfied I do not have to pay...

Is there any proof / report back from riders that changed the rear shock that can honestly say they got a much better riding experience after changing the rear shock on the XDiavel?
Yes, I have a string regarding this that I started. I swapped to a Nitron R3, and it has made a big difference in my XDS riding experience for sure. Expensive, but in my case, well worth the outlay.

Reactions: Wynand

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have a string regarding this that I started. I swapped to a Nitron R3, and it has made a big difference in my XDS riding experience for sure. Expensive, but in my case, well worth the outlay.
Thanks. I looked at the shock ... pricey over here! I need to get the bike to ride much more pleasant, so are you experiencing a "softer" ride too?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks. I looked at the shock ... pricey over here! I need to get the bike to ride much more pleasant, so are you experiencing a "softer" ride too?
I would not go that far :) I think the geometry of this bike dictates a tight riding profile. The ride did not get softer as such, but the new shock did take the harsh edge off fast compression transitions(i.e. long shock travel due to dips in pavement and really bad tarmac). Does my back still know that I just rode an xDiavel for 2 hours? Yes, BUT my tailbone is not sore anymore after a ride,and I can ride longer now. I think a good deal of my soreness is from the sheer vibration of the bike while riding. When I am at speed (say, a constant 60mph), I can put my hand under the bottom of the seat, and it is vibrating like crazy, and that is transmitted right up into the body constantly.

so, is the shock worth the money? In my case, absolutely. The difference I feel after riding before and now is night and day. The bike was simply beating me up with the OEM shock

BTW, since Nitron builds their shocks on your side of the pond, I figured your pricing would actually be better than mine!

Jeff

Reactions: Wynand

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" I think a good deal of my soreness is from the sheer vibration of the bike while riding."

That is exactly what I also feel... the harsh suspension is only part of the issue! The fact that this motor is mounted so rigid to the frame without any form of damping is probably the incurable part. So I'll at least try to "fix' the shock. I see the dealer tomorrow to try and understand how I void the warranty (of the whole bike) by just getting the shock fixed....

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
" I think a good deal of my soreness is from the sheer vibration of the bike while riding."

That is exactly what I also feel... the harsh suspension is only part of the issue! The fact that this motor is mounted so rigid to the frame without any form of damping is probably the incurable part. So I'll at least try to "fix' the shock. I see the dealer tomorrow to try and understand how I void the warranty (of the whole bike) by just getting the shock fixed....
You'd be better reading the law than asking your dealer about warranty. Dealers lie. In the USA, the warranty would not be voided. In other countries, it would be.

Regarding engine vibration, there should not be much. Unlike a Harley engine, the Diavel is a 90-degree twin, so it has virtually perfect primary balance. There is a small amount of secondary imbalance, but it's hard for me to imagine ths being something that fatigues you. If your engine vibrates badly, then maybe something is wrong that should be looked at?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Coming from a 4 cylinder japanese bike, I've noticed the vibrations the first time I rode the bike. But after 3500 km that feeling is gone. They didn't dissapear, just got used to them I think.

The rear shock is harder than I would like, but I can deal with it. I like a sporty riding as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the vibrations I speak of have been noted by virtually every reviewer of the bike since it was introduced in 2016, and i went in to it fully understanding that was the case. It was instantly recognizable during my test ride. Regarding HD's, both my Softail CVO and the last VROD I had were both coutner-balanced mounted engines and there was virtually no vibration of any kind, at any speed, through the seat, bars or pegs. The XD has a very high compression engine that is purposely a stressed member of the chassis, which is what I attribute the vibrations to. It's not a shaking or "off-balance" type of thing. The seat vibrations really don't bother me that much-just something I noticed, but I would think they can certainly contribute to fatigue on longer rides- this is not a bike I would want to ride all day. I try to ride it as "it was designed to be ridden", which means, HARD, so after a couple of hours, I am bushed :)

last weekend I did a charity group ride with a bunch of Harley's for about 4 hours.....I was definitely feeling it.

sorry, back to original topic. That's interesting that in some countries outside the USA, modifications to the bike void the warranty. I would certainly understand if some type of engine mod was done that could be the case, but simply upgrading the rear shock? that sucks...

Reactions: levy1 and Okie Duc

·
Registered
87 Posts
the vibrations I speak of have been noted by virtually every reviewer of the bike since it was introduced in 2016, and i went in to it fully understanding that was the case. It was instantly recognizable during my test ride. Regarding HD's, both my Softail CVO and the last VROD I had were both coutner-balanced mounted engines and there was virtually no vibration of any kind, at any speed, through the seat, bars or pegs. The XD has a very high compression engine that is purposely a stressed member of the chassis, which is what I attribute the vibrations to. It's not a shaking or "off-balance" type of thing. The seat vibrations really don't bother me that much-just something I noticed, but I would think they can certainly contribute to fatigue on longer rides- this is not a bike I would want to ride all day. I try to ride it as "it was designed to be ridden", which means, HARD, so after a couple of hours, I am bushed :)
Well put, the XDS is straight up a Hot Rod. Never intended to be the type of cruiser you load up and take on a long trip. You don't purchase a Lamborghini Huracan as a daily driver or for long trips, you take it out on weekends and flog it and then display it at car shows for the envy of all. The XDS is the Huracan of motorcycles. Not dissing anyone that purchased this bike as their only bike, just sayin. If young you can handle the pains of riding distances, but as you get older the ole body just does not adapt well. I remember my first new bike when I was 18, a 1984 Honda Interceptor 500. I rode that bike everywhere. I took it on a 10 hour road trip once and had a blast, but even at 18 I was feeling it by the time I got home. I love the XDS for what it is and don't regret the purchase. But those of you looking to purchase don't be fooled into thinking this bike is made to be comfortable for commuting (any real distance) and touring. Not to say that people don't use it for those things, it's just not made for that. if you want comfort purchase a bike another bike for that. There's just not a bike that does it all, hence the reason I own multiple bikes. It is hard to fight the allure of this bike though, it is so darned sexy and intoxicating to ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"XDS is straight up a Hot Rod. Never intended to be the type of cruiser you load up and take on a long trip"

Agreed! Also agree about the aging of the ole body...! BUT, this still does not excuse the crap rear suspension. Even Ducati realize this as they now re-worked the rear for the 2018 model (so they say).

Update:

My shock was removed by my very friendly dealer and sent to a well known shock rebuilder. He has no good words for the OEM shock and is going to re-valve / re-gas / set up the shock... with a promise it will be much better without costing an arm and a leg. I hope to get the shock back by next week - Ducati will refit and then we'll see.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"XDS is straight up a Hot Rod. Never intended to be the type of cruiser you load up and take on a long trip"

Agreed! Also agree about the aging of the ole body...! BUT, this still does not excuse the crap rear suspension. Even Ducati realize this as they now re-worked the rear for the 2018 model (so they say).

Update:

My shock was removed by my very friendly dealer and sent to a well known shock rebuilder. He has no good words for the OEM shock and is going to re-valve / re-gas / set up the shock... with a promise it will be much better without costing an arm and a leg. I hope to get the shock back by next week - Ducati will refit and then we'll see.
I'm not disputing the rear shock as not being up to the quality it should be. Myself, I'll be replacing the shock with a Nitron this winter. I'm hopefully helping people to understand what this bike is and not be disillusioned as to it's capability beyond being a Hot Rod. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people purchase this type of a bike as their only bike and then complain that it does not tour well, or whatever.

Let us know how the shock turns out, looking forward to your review after some seat time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Update:

The shock rebuilder completed the job today (Martin Petzold - well known bike racing champ - rebuilding shocks for racing bikes internationally etc - very skilled). He said that the OEM shock was not at all good and can never be decent as the internals were "crude". He removed the piston (pic 2) in the canister and replaced it with a "bladder" (as good Jap shocks have) (pic 1.) He also modified the piston inside the shock as he said the OEM piston was way too restricted (pic 3). The shock was re-oiled and gassed. It will now go back to the dealer for installation. The complete job worked out to $270 (everything)... so if it is a good improvement, it may be money well spent. I'll let you know during next week.

Attachments

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
I hope it works well for you. The price certainly is low considering the labor, materials, and expert knowledge he applied.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fetched the XDS today..... rode it home over the same roads I usually travel - same twisty mountain, same uneven patched up tarways..... and it is ..... (Update to be posted soon!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
that's fantastic-great to hear that the stock shock can be made so much better w/o a huge cash outlay to get an upgraded aftermarket shock. enjoy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
does any one have the steps involved to removing/ replacing the rear shock as I have ordered the wilbers unit with mechanical preload and will be fitting next week so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 31 Posts