Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone attempted to change the rear pads on their XDiavel ? Not sure if the new pads can be slipped in with the caliper in place or is it recommend to remove the caliper via the two bolts then fit the new pads ? Could do with some good pointers. ????

Cheers, Hicky.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Remove the 2 caliper bolts. Remove the safety pin at the end of the caliper and then change pads. You have to remove the caliper. You can leave the wheel on but it's much more difficult. I just did it today.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought that might be the case, I'll have to do it with the wheel on as no means of getting it off unfortunately.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll will recommend to buy a rear stand with the big pin for Ducati if you don't have. It cost not much, an such work will be more easy to do and in half the time also

·
Registered
211 Posts
Put tape on the wheel because you will scratch it if you don't. You can do it on the kick stand it's not that hard. 2 bolts removed then knock the pin out from the back after you pull the safety pin on it. Hardest part for me was getting the pin back on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all ????????

Went without a hitch and more importantly no damage, the red Brembos also look pretty cool.

Just in case someone else is contemplating the job … I cut a piece of carpet turned it upside down and taped it into the inner wheel ("the wife is gonna kill me!" ????????).

The space to undo the caliper bolts was really restricted so I had to buy a 3/8 hex bit socket and grind the end down to make it short enough to go on the small ratchet, it gave me just enough space to loosen the caliper bolts. I'm loving the M50 calliper as the pins, tension plates and pads come out and go back in so easily (take photos at every stage if you're forgetful like me).

Just a reminder, check the brake fluid level before prising the old pads/pistons apart to get the new pads in … mine was still full even with the pistons engaged, so carefully using a new syringe I pulled some off then returned it once the new pads were in place and sorted (be careful it's liquid paint stripper!) Make sure the 'hole' in the cotter pin is at an accessible angle for replacing the safety pin when tapping it home. Can someone confirm the torque setting for the caliper bolts, I think it's 44 nm but not sure ?

Hope this helps, Hicky. ????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts