Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2012 Diavel carbon that I purchased 3 months ago with 900 miles.
When I got the bike the rear brake did not work at all as I would press down on the pedal it would sink to the bottom. So I drained the brake fluid and replaced with new brake fluid from an unopened bottle and bleed the air out the system. Once I did that the rear brake was working fine so I decided to go for a quick ride.
On my way back home I decided to really test out how good was the rear break so as I was slowing down for the red light I pressed down hard and the bike immediately came to stop.
So I said to myself okay the rear brake is working great so the light changed and I went to take off and that's when I noticed the rear brake locked up . Thank God I did not go down or lose control of the bike.
I immediately turned the bike off and pulled up on the brake pedal and it released itself .
Since then I haven't really used the rear brake .
Can anyone help me out as to what can be causing this problem .

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Clearly this needs to be fixed prior to riding again.

Is there a bind on the pedal? What fluid did you use and to what level was it filled to? Did you remove the caliper during bleeding? If you bled the caliper with no rotor in between the pads, then spread the pads and reinstalled the caliper, your reservoir may be over filled.

What I'm focused on is you said you pulled the pedal back up like it was stuck. Find out why it stuck. It's either a mechanical bind or there's a hydraulic issue.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Given the description of events, I'd venture that the linkage may be bent. Or the brake pedal pivot is loose or damaged or really gummed up.

You shuld work the brake lever and try to identify where the problem is. The fact that it released when you pulled up on the lever points to the lever or linkage being the problem, not the hydraulics. This will probably be an easy fix, requiring no more than some light oil, maybe some solvent or WD-40, and maybe a wrench.

·
6,726 Posts
Oh, and have a close look at the return spring on the foot pedal pivot. If the PO was a junior home mechanic he may have been unable to re-assemble it correctly after messing with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention the bike came with Rizoma Rearsets that appear to be brand new. I bled the rear caliper on the rotor and used Dot 4 fluid
and checked the reservoir level. No bind on the brake lever, when I pressed down on the lever it depresses and releases normaly.
I'm going to remove the caliper and inspect it further and spray the linkages like you advised.
Thank you for advice guys.

·
6,726 Posts
There is NO WAY the caliper could cause the foot pedal not to retract as you described.

The problem is with the rearsets or the work that was done to install it. Focus there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.