Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great posts and discussion, my experience has been same as others with pressure loss and multiple dealer bleed sessions. I was out of warranty at the start of last season and got into a contest with the dealer on who should pay to service the brakes again. I wasn't satisfied with the dealer's reluctance so I also filed a safety defect report with Transport Canada and advised Ducati North America. That got everyone's attention. Ducati North America agreed rear brake should be serviced again by dealer FOC. I suggested the master cylinder may be defective so they changed it FOC. This year I will ask about getting this new service bulletin done.

Tip for others having problems with dealers or warranty expiry, file a defect or safety report with your department of transport. Key issues will likely get escalated to pressure Ducati and or Italian DOT. If enough people register a problem with their department of transport, it may trigger a recall for everyone's benefit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I can vouch for the new brake lines and I have brakes again. Very responsive!! Also got them to replace the all the brake and clutch fluid to castrol srf. Now just time will tell I guess if this is a long term fix with the new brake lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just spoke with local service rep here in Finland: they promised to change the brake line free of charge although it's not mentioned on my bikes recall list. Only the key replacement is there: I've had no problems with the original one so decided not to change it so far.

Thanks for sharing the service bulletin, I attached it to the service request and atleast these guys were clever enough not to start discussing about it. Now waiting for the parts to arrive.

My rear brakes have been working fine, except after every winter they are completely gone. Winter is long up here, I just started the season on Tuesday. Hopefully this update will fix it for good, we'll see next year.

Gko

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
That's good to hear your dealer will do the TSB on your brakes. I've taken the bike out already on a couple rides and the feeling of "I still have rear brakes!" is the best feeling ever. Since I've owned the bike before the TSB was done I've had to get the brakes bleeded before the season started

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
And I have a working rear brake again. RM Heino here in Espoo, Finland took care of the hose replacement, free of charge.

Lets see how it is after next winter. Hoping for best.
Welcome to the club, I still have brakes and it's wonderful. I've been riding for over a month now and still pressure when depressing the rear brakes. Like you said, let's see the coming winter

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,695 Posts
I haven't had the swap yet.
But I wonder if this is the final solution??

What is strange is that there are "only" new crimping on the end fittings, squeezed better so that air does not leak into the system. But when air enters, it means that brake fluid will come out. In any case, I have had no leakage of brake fluid / lost fluid in the reservoir tank.
We all know that brake fluid has the property of leaking very easily if nothing is 100% dense.
When braking becomes high pressure but no leakage. But air will miraculously seep in?

Just my thought around this ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't had the swap yet.
But I wonder if this is the final solution??

What is strange is that there are "only" new crimping on the end fittings, squeezed better so that air does not leak into the system. But when air enters, it means that brake fluid will come out. In any case, I have had no leakage of brake fluid / lost fluid in the reservoir tank.
We all know that brake fluid has the property of leaking very easily if nothing is 100% dense.
When braking becomes high pressure but no leakage. But air will miraculously seep in?

Just my thought around this ...
It could have to do with the crimp pressure of the hose
I know with hydraulic hose if you undercrimp it may not seal and if you over crimp it damages the hose which can fail

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
I don't think it requires a miracle. I am pretty sure that air molecules are smaller than brake fluid molecules; so a bad crimp could leak air but not brake fluid.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,695 Posts
okay. I give in and lay flat.
You may be right.
But why spend 4 years coming up with this solution to the problem?

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
But why spend 4 years coming up with this solution to the problem?
I don't know; but I would guess that much of that time was taken up by first understanding that there actually was a problem, and then deciding if it needed to be fixed.

Reactions: DucaRicardo

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bled the brakes with the caliper removed and facing upwards. I came to realize Ducati made an engineering error with the nipple placement on the caliper and won’t correct the issue. I then proceeded to pump the rear brake about 5-6 times when I park it every night then rest a ten pound rubber coated dumbbell on the foot peddle and across the rear brake pressed down. Haven’t had a brake issue for over a year. Brake is super strong, lame I need to do it but I love this bike too much to get rid of it.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts