Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
^^^That's the plan...Tires are getting replaced Tuesday...My wrench is kind enough to remove old tires, let me have the rims for a couple days to clean them up. Either my body/paint or my polish man, with the lowest bid, fastest turnaround time.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
After general opinion of you guys and advice from polish man...I did it the old fashion way. Purple Scothbrite pads and a special polish he gave me.
Took a couple hours, 3 beers, couple of breaks, lot's of index fingers/thumb grease!

Not perfect...about 95% clean...Shoulda got my Dremel tool for the tightest nooks,crannies, but heck with it. Index fingers/thumbs are too tired now!
I'm so tired, heck with the front rim too! Besides the rotors have to come off to polish. Front rim isnt that contaminated anyway. Let that sleeping dog lie...

Need to get rims back to independent wrench by 5pm today to get new tires mounted.

I'm done.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^^^^^Hey, that's advice from my body/paint man... a professional w/+35 years experience.
Obviously, you know more than he does.

Perhaps I won't attempt it myself....I'll just pay him the labor to clean up rims and re-clear coat them.

BTW, this is real Ducati Red paint base coat/clear coat, paint scheme applied the old fashion way on new seat cowl from Motocomposites.

Not some red pre-cut peel and stick decal like on your OEM!!!!

How did he do?
Calm down there bud...
I was doing paint and body 40 years ago with my dad who was a professional painter. I'm a 35 year mechanic, and also hold a federal aircraft mechanic's licence, but WTF do I know....

Just trying to prevent you from seriously fucking something up... but it's your bike so go ahead. It looks like you finally heeded advice.

Also, my OEM carbon cowl is painted, not a decal

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^ Gotcha Bud...
Said why he thinks the paint scheme are decals on cowl, tank skin, front fender, they feel like decals....the edge ends feel raised to the touch, and not smooth as if it were base coat/clear coat. He didn't explain it with absolute certainty, just what he assumed.

My body/paint man is a best friend, since late 70's...ALWAYS saves me on the deductible from the insurance estimate.

Expert body work is like an art! I've watched him pull dents out before...Amazing to see the tiny bit of Bondo he utilizes at the end of process, only to smooth the surface out, and not act as a filler.
That's where the real skill set is demonstrated.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
... my OEM carbon cowl is painted, not a decal
Mine, too. Just like my tank and fender. Rex's body/paint man is mistaken, unless Rex has a fake Carbon Red.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mine, too. Just like my tank and fender. Rex's body/paint man is mistaken, unless Rex has a fake Carbon Red.
Owner of my stealership won't be in till Thursday...Visited Balogna factory bunches of times. I'll ask him!
Maybe Carbon model OEM paint schemes are painted like Y'all say...One thing I am certain of...the red paint scheme on my new Motocomposite body parts are smoother than yours?

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
One thing I am certain of...the red paint scheme on my new Motocomposite body parts are smoother than yours?
Well, sure, a red Marks-A-Lot pen will always be smoother than true Ducati paint. ;-)

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you have matte carbon, and then tape it off to lay down a color stripe, and then lay down a clear coat on top of that, then pull the tape, you will have an edge like that. Just because it has an edge that you can feel doesn't mean it is a decal. The only way you won't have an edge would be if you layed down a very thin painted stripe and then applied a lot of clear over the whole thing - carbon included. Even then there would be a visible bump.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.