Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last bike I used Ram Mounts for my phone.
I had a ball mounted on one of the 4 clamp bolts for the handlebars.

I can't see that the Diavel has that kind of an option.

I tried my Ram Mount "Tough Claw" which can clamp around the bars, not a pretty solution, but with an X-grip for the phone it can work, need t buy an X-grip though.

I see Ducati has a mount, but it doesn't show how it mounts to the phone, if you need a special casing or something.

Evotech has a center mount, but I'm concerned that may clash with a future windscreen installation (come on Puig, release the damn thing).

Just curious, how have you mounted your phone when you ride? And your experience with that solution.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may find some inspiration in this thread https://www.diavel-f..._1#entry1145074

End up with a Quadlock combo with RAM ball mount.
Some interesting ones there.
Sadly, the X-Diavel and Diavel 1260 bar mount is completely different.
X-Diavel has vertical bolts making a ball mount a clean and easy option.
The Diavel 1260 has horizontal bolts, making that solution less optimal, with the countersunk bolts, I'm not even sure you can fit it. IMG_5160.jpeg

The Quad lock seems much cleaner and easier than the X-Grip, and is the solution on the Evotech one.

Need to investigate more

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
A few hours of internet searching later, and I'm no closer to a final solution, But I have a lot of information.

Evotech Diavel 1260 Quad Lock
https://evotech-perf...-s-2019-onwards

Pros:
  • Location of phone
  • Does not obstruct view to the instruments.
  • Quad lock means it is properly secure and it is easy to remove/install.
  • Not very expensive at 80 euros, but you need to buy the phone case as well.
Cons:
  • Not a pretty mount when not in use with that bracket poking up in the front.
  • Makes attaching a windshield difficult/impossible, at least the coming Puig adjustable screen will clash.
  • Need Quad lock specific phone case
Quad lock motorcycle mount:
https://www.quadlock...-iphone-devices

Pros:
  • Small and nimble mount very similar to the one Ducati OEM one
  • Can be used as a center mount.
  • Can be used to mount similar to the Evotech location, however will be offset to the side the clamp is on as the arm is 5cm long (additional arm for 10cm can be bought which should centralize it.
  • Quad lock benefits.
  • Price 80 euros, phone case included.
Cons:
  • Will probably need additional parts such as spacers, extension arm and elbow to allow mounting options and clear bar clamp- bringing the price up to 110 euros.
  • On larger phones, such as my iPhone XS Max, it will cover the warning light display if horizontally center mounted "between the screens" should be able to clear both displays if mounted "offset" Evotech style.
  • Need quad lock phone case.
  • May not fit flush to the handle bar clamp due to the bars curving backwards and up, the clamp is 16,5mm wide, the bars start curving backwards and up between 15-17mm, a bit hard to measure.

Ducati OEM - Rebranded SP Connect mount:
https://www.ducati.c...ories/ACC011623
  • Same as Quad Lock bike mount.
  • However may not have spacers and elbow optional parts limiting installation options (did not research website).
  • Need the SP Phone case.

Rokform Mount
https://www.rokform....ar-iphone-mount
  • Similar to quadlock and Ducati /SP Connect.
  • Think the adjusting movements for this mount is not the best for this bike
  • Need Rokform phone case

Ram Mounts

Pros:
  • Many different position options.
  • Infinitely expandable.
  • Multiple base mount options
  • Universal phone grips (x-grip) not requiring a special case
  • Can easily be removed when not used only leaving a small ball.
  • Quad Lock ball adapter available.
Cons:
  • Questionable phone security (x-grip).
  • Big and bulky arms.
  • Not pretty when left on bike.
  • Not allowing center mount with Ram Mounts equipment (Quad Lock available though).
  • Not sure the handle bar bolt ballmount will fit due to bolts being countersunk in the Diavel bracket by close to 2cm, not sure the spacer on the ball is that long.
Having looked at the various mounts, been out on the bike measuring and trying my phone in the different positions, I think my preliminary conclusion is.

Quad lock mount with additional spacers, extension arm and elbow may be the best option mounting the phone Evotech style.
However I am tempted to order the quad lock ball mount as well to give me options using my existing Ram Mount parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, I just went through this with my quad lock on my old Beemer S1KR. I have an 11 Pro Max like a few others and it wiped out my rear camera. A third party took care of it since I had the apple care. Now, Quad Lock has just released a Vibration dampener that goes in between the mount and the phone to hopefully lessen or damn near eliminate the vibes coming through to the phone. I got mine in the mail today, so I'm going to install it and see how it works.
I don't work for quad lock, but here is a link to it in case any of you are using the mount.

https://www.quadlock...=32819777372235

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, I just went through this with my quad lock on my old Beemer S1KR. I have an 11 Pro Max like a few others and it wiped out my rear camera. A third party took care of it since I had the apple care. Now, Quad Lock has just released a Vibration dampener that goes in between the mount and the phone to hopefully lessen or damn near eliminate the vibes coming through to the phone. I got mine in the mail today, so I'm going to install it and see how it works.
I don't work for quad lock, but here is a link to it in case any of you are using the mount.

I have not pulled the trigger on any system yet, it will be a winter project.
I held back as the season was coming to an end, and I might change phone to the new iPhone.

Evotech is out of stock, but I still think this is the best option, I have found that if you remove the stock screws with thumb screws, you gen get rid of the bracket when needed.
I think I may go for the SP-connect version, and yes, a vibration damper is something you absoutely need.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Just ordered one to add to my Quad Lock - looks like a worthwhile investment. I've been happy with the quad lock so far, but I hadn't thought about the vibration, which I can see as being a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think about Evotech too. I wonder, is it possible to use Quadlock wireless charging head on Evotech, like this one https://www.quadlock...=13702022234221 ?
I was thinking about this too.
Fitment should be fine, both mounts use a screw in the back so I think that should go just fine.
Question is power, I believe there is a plug with Navi power on right side of the triple tree, so you may be able to get a Ducati to USB/Lightning cable.
Not sure if this is the same cable the ends up in the under seat USB, mine is connected to something.
Alternatively run a cable from the under seat plug to the handlebars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just signed up at evotech for a mount, I guess if people do that, they will see a demand and start up production.

So if anyone else want this, maybe that's the way to get them to make some.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Evotech mount is back in stock.

I ordered a SP-Connect mount last night, then went to SP-connect and bought a vibration reduction mount and a Ducati Phone cover.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll told myself. Do it simple. Ram-Mount ball & Quadlock phone holder.

My phone have enough/ big battery for the most journeys a ride. And the Diavel 1260 have a power outlet under the seat, I can use for backup. So no need electric power up to the handlebar

Easy, clean & simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will have to say I'm quite happy with the Evotech mount, its very good to have the phone centered just above the instrument cluster.
Only downside is that not all gloves can be used on a touch screen, and my iPhone XS Max does not flip all apps to landscape, fortunately the google map app does which makes it work very well as a navigation.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'll told myself. Do it simple. Ram-Mount ball & Quadlock phone holder.

My phone have enough/ big battery for the most journeys a ride. And the Diavel 1260 have a power outlet under the seat, I can use for backup. So no need electric power up to the handlebar

Easy, clean & simple.
I find using the ram mount you posted moves too much, but if it works for you that's great. I ended up getting the ball mount bolted down in the riser. I got the USB charger and vibration damper and has worked wonders on rides. A lot better than the ram mount I was previously using and holds the phone perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
99,9% of the time I've got the phone in my pocket. If I need road guidance- the woman voice speaks directly into my helm if I should turn right or left...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts