Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OpenFlash Performance Flash Tablet for Ducati Diavel

So here's what I've been working on behind the scenes. I'll try not to make this too commercial-y but I'm pretty happy with the results and I'd thought I'd share. The hardware is based upon our very own OpenFlash Tablet that we offer for automobiles. But with some obvious software/firmware modifications, it now works with the Melco ECU in the Diavel. No data-logging functionality yet. And no user tunable maps yet either. But it does what it is supposed to do: auto generate compatible map files after it reads ECU data through the diagnostic port. The whole process about 5 minutes and gives the user the choice of 5 tune files. Each tune file has all the mapping changes I've made (and documented here) with respect to fixing the cylinder to cylinder injection phase balance, ignition timing, closed loop fuel targets, exhaust flapper disable, etc,. But each successive tune file (1-5) gets progressively richer to account for variance in engine breathing efficiency. Between all 5 tune files, virtually any Diavel (regardless of mods and mileage) should be able to find an appropriate tune. Basically, the better the engine breathes (i.e., fresh low mileage engine with exhaust), the higher map you run. Espect a low mileage Diavel with a slip-on to run Tune 5. The higher mileage engines (stock exhaust) should run the lower number tune files. Expect a stock Diavel to run Tune 1. Ideally, it would be great for users to test each map file on a dyno and pick the one that makes the most power. But realistically, I know not everyone will do that. But the good news is that any map, on any bike, should make more power and run way smoother than the stock tune. Worst case scenario, a user picks a too-high tune file number and runs a bit too rich under heavy load (beyond 60% throttle). Of course, I hope to regularly release updated map versions and have them downloadable from our website.

Currently, only tune files for Gen1 Diavels. But Gen2 support will be coming very soon.

Some other random info:

1) Cruise control/quick shift support is not available at this time. No ETA on when/if that will be supported either. But it is something that I will look into.
2) The Flash Tablet can be uninstalled and re-sold to another Diavel user. But only after flashing the first owner's bike back to stock. In other words, you can't use the same device to tune multiple bikes. But being transferable (as opposed to having a software license) means the Flash Tablet has good resale value (it will always find a home).
3) If you have any questions/suggestion, I'm all ears

Installation Video:

More pics:

That's all i got.

Cheers,
Shiv

·
Bullshit Artiste'
1,600 Posts
So, as I understand it so far, first it sniffs out the info from your ECU and that tells it how the bike is currently running....

Then the programmer custom designs a tune to suit my bike going by the information it has received...

After which it offers me a selection of increasingly richer tunes so that I can choose the one I prefer, before uploading via what looks to be a pretty easy to deal with interface...

If that's true....mate I think you are onto a winner...

Personally I have no interest in cruise control or quick shift as I see the bike a neither a tourer or a race bike.

I can't wait to read the reports from the first owners of this new tuning option.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, as I understand it so far, first it sniffs out the info from your ECU and that tells it how the bike is currently running....

Then the programmer custom designs a tune to suit my bike going by the information it has received...

After which it offers me a selection of increasingly richer tunes so that I can choose the one I prefer, before uploading via what looks to be a pretty easy to deal with interface...

If that's true....mate I think you are onto a winner...

Personally I have no interest in cruise control or quick shift as I see the bike a neither a tourer or a race bike.

I can't wait to read the reports from the first owners of this new tuning option.
That's pretty much it. The Flash Tablet sniffs the ECU to determine what software it is running. Upon recognition, it creates the 5 tune files for the user to choose from. A stock file is also saved making it easy to flash back to original tuning for any reason whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Great work Shiv. Does your tablet save the original tune file from the ECU prior to flashing the new tune?
Sort of. In the Flash Tablet, there is a database with stock ECU files. When it "read" the ECU, it reads the calibration ID and then picks the correct stock file from its internal database. This is the file that it uses when/if you decide to flash back to stock for any reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going to be having my local dealer installing the full Termignoni exhaust on my 2012 Diavel Carbon next week. I bought the bike from the dealer used with 4,000 miles on it and with a Werkes slip on that backfires badly. Every employee at the dealer tells me that there are no programmable ignitions available to change the fuel mapping to make it stop backfiring, so my wife surprised me with the full Termi system for my birthday a couple weeks ago. I have been told by the dealer employee's that it will be a quiet exhaust note. So I asked if the baffles could be taken out and their response was 'no', there is no way to remap the fuel map if I do. After reading some posts on exhaust systems I am getting the feeling that I am being fed a load of crap from my dealer. They also stated that they had to install the system in order for me to get a warranty on it. After reading your post it sounds like the baffles can be removed and your product will fix the fuel mapping for the reduced backpressure. So are you selling the tablets, or does the customer have to bring the bike to you?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I am going to be having my local dealer installing the full Termignoni exhaust on my 2012 Diavel Carbon next week. I bought the bike from the dealer used with 4,000 miles on it and with a Werkes slip on that backfires badly. Every employee at the dealer tells me that there are no programmable ignitions available to change the fuel mapping to make it stop backfiring, so my wife surprised me with the full Termi system for my birthday a couple weeks ago. I have been told by the dealer employee's that it will be a quiet exhaust note. So I asked if the baffles could be taken out and their response was 'no', there is no way to remap the fuel map if I do. After reading some posts on exhaust systems I am getting the feeling that I am being fed a load of crap from my dealer. They also stated that they had to install the system in order for me to get a warranty on it. After reading your post it sounds like the baffles can be removed and your product will fix the fuel mapping for the reduced backpressure. So are you selling the tablets, or does the customer have to bring the bike to you?
Yes, you can absolutely remove the baffles to get maximum performance/best sound. Our tune should work very well for the full term set-up. It can be delivered by the Flash Tablet which is for sale. If you were local, you could have just brought your bike to us to have the ECU flashed. But that wouldn't give you the ability to swap between 5 different maps or to revert back to the stock tune when needed. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Shiv

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
was reading through the threads. is the tablet seperate from the muffler they are selling? because when i checked the website, the tablest is $695 and the openflash is $895. can anybody shed some light on this? they haven't replied lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
The open flash termi slip in exhaust and the open flash tablet (tuner) are separate
They where selling them as a combo when they first released the exhaust
Now they sell them as individual items

2015 Ducati Diavel Dark, sports screen, passenger grab rails, back rest and panniers
Darwin NT Australia

·
Registered
55 Posts
The open flash termi slip in exhaust and the open flash tablet (tuner) are separate
They where selling them as a combo when they first released the exhaust
Now they sell them as individual items

2015 Ducati Diavel Dark, sports screen, passenger grab rails, back rest and panniers
Darwin NT Australia
aw man.. i thought i would get both at $895. -_- fml. im trying to keep it under $1000. might as well buy the bmw1000rr muffler and have the extension fabricated and install the rexxer tuning. thanks yoda42!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Has the cruise control for the Gen 2 Diavels been sorted out on OFT or is it still a Gen 1 feature only?

Is that the same situation with TuneBoy or can they do cruise on Gen 2?
Tuneboy has cruise for both gen1 and gen2, I have it and love cruise use it every time I ride

2015 Diavel Dark, sports screen, grab rail kit, back rest, DP panniers
Darwin NT Australia

·
Registered
1 Posts
OpenFlash Performance Flash Tablet for Ducati Diavel

So here's what I've been working on behind the scenes. I'll try not to make this too commercial-y but I'm pretty happy with the results and I'd thought I'd share. The hardware is based upon our very own OpenFlash Tablet that we offer for automobiles. But with some obvious software/firmware modifications, it now works with the Melco ECU in the Diavel. No data-logging functionality yet. And no user tunable maps yet either. But it does what it is supposed to do: auto generate compatible map files after it reads ECU data through the diagnostic port. The whole process about 5 minutes and gives the user the choice of 5 tune files. Each tune file has all the mapping changes I've made (and documented here) with respect to fixing the cylinder to cylinder injection phase balance, ignition timing, closed loop fuel targets, exhaust flapper disable, etc,. But each successive tune file (1-5) gets progressively richer to account for variance in engine breathing efficiency. Between all 5 tune files, virtually any Diavel (regardless of mods and mileage) should be able to find an appropriate tune. Basically, the better the engine breathes (i.e., fresh low mileage engine with exhaust), the higher map you run. Espect a low mileage Diavel with a slip-on to run Tune 5. The higher mileage engines (stock exhaust) should run the lower number tune files. Expect a stock Diavel to run Tune 1. Ideally, it would be great for users to test each map file on a dyno and pick the one that makes the most power. But realistically, I know not everyone will do that. But the good news is that any map, on any bike, should make more power and run way smoother than the stock tune. Worst case scenario, a user picks a too-high tune file number and runs a bit too rich under heavy load (beyond 60% throttle). Of course, I hope to regularly release updated map versions and have them downloadable from our website.

Currently, only tune files for Gen1 Diavels. But Gen2 support will be coming very soon.

Some other random info:

1) Cruise control/quick shift support is not available at this time. No ETA on when/if that will be supported either. But it is something that I will look into.
2) The Flash Tablet can be uninstalled and re-sold to another Diavel user. But only after flashing the first owner's bike back to stock. In other words, you can't use the same device to tune multiple bikes. But being transferable (as opposed to having a software license) means the Flash Tablet has good resale value (it will always find a home).
3) If you have any questions/suggestion, I'm all ears

Installation Video:

More pics:

That's all i got.

Cheers,
Shiv

I see in your images you can reset service lights?

Will this shut off the servo motor light since I have removed it to install Full racing termignoni exhaust?

Will one of your Maps work for a 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark, Full Termigoni exhaust w/o baffles?

I will place an order once I get answers to those two questions!

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts