Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am off to my Mecca, opps, Bologna, the birthplace of our beloved Diavels (and my Monster and 848) in January
. I have managed to take 10 days off while over in France with work. I have also convinced an old mate to leave his family for several days and set off on a road trip to Italy so I can do the factory/museum tour (also see those flash car people as well).

My question is, after I visit the factory, what else should I do? My No1 aim is Ducati but what next? My wife has suggested Milan so I can buy handbags and alike for her but that isn't getting me excited. What do my European brothers recommend? I actually thought since I have a few days up my sleeve I might fly over to Ireland and get some original Guinness in my belly.

I am open to any suggestions including catching up with fellow Diavel aficionados.

Cheers

·
Registered
540 Posts
While at the factory and after you have had a look and a squiz at the museum at the factory and most visit the tiny Ducati shop on site, and if you want to buy a lot of Ducati stuff you gotta go across the road past the roundabout to the huge Ducati Apparel shop... they got the lot!!!!(closed on Mondays!) They dont like you taking photos in the factory but strangely enough they dont take your camera away from you.. be sneaky, easier if you have a small digital job, turn the flash off (plenty of light in the factory anyway), hang back from the group away from the guide who runs the show at the front of the group and snap away!!!
Pity you werent going in June for several reasons- the World Ducati Week(WDW) held in Rimni (Marco Simincelli territory)is just down the road from Bologna and a brilliant way to spend a holiday, OR Why not take a hire bike say a duc for instance, up into the mountains to the north of Bologna (the Alps)and take on some famous passes? Have a look on the net at the path followed by some of the commercial bike tour companies, use the map from the tour such as the 'Extreme Alps" run by Edelweiss Motorbike touring company based in Austria (on the net) to get a good idea of a great loop you could follow around the mountains then just use the net to book some accommodation. Another group of ducatistas run a brilliant three day run around the mountains annually you could join up with that (usually about 50 bikers!) its called the 2012 EMM(European Multistrada Meeting) again in June -hire a multi and join in for the cost of the accomodation brilliant.. let some one who knows there stuff do the organising!
PS the food alone is worth the trip! cheers Ridge

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi guys,

I am off to my Mecca, opps, Bologna, the birthplace of our beloved Diavels (and my Monster and 848) in January
. I have managed to take 10 days off while over in France with work. I have also convinced an old mate to leave his family for several days and set off on a road trip to Italy so I can do the factory/museum tour (also see those flash car people as well).

My question is, after I visit the factory, what else should I do? My No1 aim is Ducati but what next? My wife has suggested Milan so I can buy handbags and alike for her but that isn't getting me excited. What do my European brothers recommend? I actually thought since I have a few days up my sleeve I might fly over to Ireland and get some original Guinness in my belly.

I am open to any suggestions including catching up with fellow Diavel aficionados.

Cheers
Lucky man,
Be sure to pre-book your factory tour. You can't just turn up, if you do you WILL be turned away. (I saw it happen).
When I booked my tour I couldn't pick my day or time but rather the week commencing, so I would suggest you book now with your time window and then you can work round that.
You also Must have your email of confirmation with you at the gate.
There are no coffee etc facilities in the factory.

If you are traveling from the town centre by bus, get off at the stop before the one called Ducati. The one before is called Pinigale, saves you having to walk back like I did.

Maserati and Ferrari factory's are in near by towns. I didn't go so not sure about details.

Worth going, as my wife said it's like seeing a baby being born.

Enjoy

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
If I ever get to Bologna, I will surely get off the bike and walk. It is a fantastic city. Among many, many points of interest, two in particular attract me: the oldest university in Europe, and the porticato (arcade) winding up a pathway to the hilltop Basilica di San Luca.

Here is a link to a nicely condensed visitor's guide to Bologna.
http://www.italytravelsguide.com/bologna.php

I envy you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you are going in Janurary it may be a tad cold for a lap of the alpine passes ...or not? However having spent 10 days on a Ducati touring through Tuscany last year, started from Bologna, admittedly in summer time . I can tell you there are no bad roads, or uninteresting places to pull up for a meal and so many kodak moments. We stayed off the autostradas, so get yourself a decent map of the area and make up a loop Some memorable places to visit that I would highly recomment included Lucca (Medievil walled city) near pizza ooops I mean pisa),Assissi, Sienna, San Marino, Urbino (birthplace of V.Rossi) Cortona...the list goes on. OR You could do the Cinque terra area a series of tiny cliff top fishing villages close enough together to walk though difficult to get vehicles around better to base in one village and walk or catch the connecting train. She indoors will love it, especially if she likes an invigorating walk( or she may like to stay here walking while you take off touring on the bike .. just putting it out there!! haha good luck I dont think you can find a bad road, people are friendly great food you dont need great mapskills to explore in Italy its all good. I for one cant wait to get back next year. Did I mention the food!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.