Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody

im looking for some feedback to try make some sense of what's happened to my odometer......I had my diavel 2nd generation remapped with tuneboy in the UK ad when it was delivered back (the tuning centre was far away) I noticed when I went out on it the odometer was just flashing a row of dashes, so it went back and the guys reflashed the maps but nothing was fixed, then we put it back to standard but still no odometer reading displayed......so we reinstalled the tuneboy map

the guys had not seen this before so after trying everything I emailed tuneboy who said the ECU does not communicate with the odometer so it could not be the maps......is this true?

im on the verge of taking it to ducati who are saying it may not be covered by warranty because of remapping so im trying to get some feedback before i go down that route........Any ideas?

Anything obvious that we may be missing?

Dan....

·
Registered
247 Posts
this happens usually when the battery has been removed for a longer period.
The dashes disappear by themùselves after sometime, the odometer (total) will come back to what it was.
It sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
http://www.diavel-forum.com/index.php?/topic/25618-total-miles-shows-flashing/

Where Did My Odometer Display Go? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati ...

flashing odometer ------ - Ducati 1199 Panigale Forums

Monster 1200 Odometer issue

There are others.... Would not say it was tuneboy related or due to remap and more of a bad fluke.

I can tell you though that Ive change the entire clock myself and now the bike reads 5k miles less but not had this issue. Dealership says there is nothing they can do other than make a note on the service book and stamp it (new clock was given to me brand new under warranty and I had to send the old one back as they took a deposit on my credit card in case I didn't).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
this happens usually when the battery has been removed for a longer period.
The dashes disappear by themùselves after sometime, the odometer (total) will come back to what it was.
It sounds normal to me.
I had disconnected my buddies negative terminal on the battery of his Gen 2 to do some work on it to be safe which is what everyone should do if you are ever disconnecting any of the electronic harnesses on the bike. When I hooked battery back up it did exactly this with the dashes in placement where the total miles were. After a off and on power cycle of the ignition, the miles came right back. The ECU and electronics of the bike just took some time to reupdate once the bike got juice again. The miles as info are stored in the lower instrument cluster. Not on any of the black boxes.

I also BTW flashed his bike with Tuneboy the same evening after I completed the mods and reconnecting the battery. The Tuneboy has nothing to do with this issue but Ducati will blame that you tampered with the bike using TB. You should have never told them you had Tuneboy flashed. Its more the disconnect of the battery and whatever the shop did there in the process. If they arched the terminals on the battery too much you can really mess up the electronics on the Diavel. Its super sensitive. This is what sounds like happened in the OP's situation. Very unfortunate because Ducati sucks when they know you tampered with something and now they have an out to warranty the item. That lower cluster is several thousand dollars. Wish the OP good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.....

I took the bike to Ducati and they plugged it in and re synched the odometer reading and it came back on fine, then it was due another run on the Dyno after a Tuneboy update and when it came off the odometer was missing again!

It seems like it is something to do with having the back wheel spinning alone and not in synch with the front, either some kind of mileage counting protection or a dodgy odometer design.

Ill be getting it re synched again when I next go for a service.

All the dyno work is done now so if it falls out again its jut an odometer fault....if not its definitely a dyno dislike.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with one of the above links by agent003 as some guy said his hypermotard used to do same after burnouts which is same kinda thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts