Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello anyone that cares to reply, hopefully with some wisdom not wisecracks. I just uncrated by 22 Diavel black and steel and took her for her maiden voyage! My possible issue is, I have it in sports mode with the engine on high and it feels nothing like the 2011 I’m used to riding. That would make my stomach sink when I crack on the throttle, yeah this one accelerates quickly but I expected a lot more out of a new bike. Is it possible I’m not setting something correctly? Is it this crap exhaust it came with that’s neutering it? The one I’m used to riding has race air and exhaust, no tune yet though. I’d appreciate any constructive input anybody has, as I want to fall in love with my bike like I did the other one. I hope everyone’s having a good day and ride safe,

Dave up in bc canada

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,739 Posts
I would like to think that you are well used to the 1198 engine and its characteristics. It is probably more bad ass to ride than the more sophisticated 1260 engine. It has a flat torque curve - about 80~85% already at 3500 rpm.

But it is not something to hide under a chair that Euro 5 and that exhaust destroys a bit.
Same name, but not exactly same bike...

Reactions: Devil Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to think that you are well used to the 1198 engine and its characteristics. It is probably more bad ass to ride than the more sophisticated 1260 engine. It has a flat torque curve - about 80~85% already at 3500 rpm.

But it is not something to hide under a chair that Euro 5 and that exhaust destroys a bit.
Same name, but not exactly same bike...
Tks for the reply, ya, you’re probably bang on. I just thought pinning it in first (sport mode) all safety setting off id lift my front end. Makes me wonder why it has wheelie control if i can’t wheelie without (and I haven’t tried yet) dumping my clutch

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
28 Posts
Tks for the reply, ya, you’re probably bang on. I just thought pinning it in first (sport mode) all safety setting off id lift my front end. Makes me wonder why it has wheelie control if i can’t wheelie without (and I haven’t tried yet) dumping my clutch
I've lifted the front (albeit only by a small margin) even with the wheelie control on setting 2 in "Touring" when the asphalt was grippy, and I've gotten to slide the rear in a slow corner even with TC on setting 2... It's just about the throttle control. I can't compare it to 1198 but I've noticed that this bike is long and likes to slide the rear more than it likes to wheelie, especially if the asphalt is a bit worn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've lifted the front (albeit only by a small margin) even with the wheelie control on setting 2 in "Touring" when the asphalt was grippy, and I've gotten to slide the rear in a slow corner even with TC on setting 2... It's just about the throttle control. I can't compare it to 1198 but I've noticed that this bike is long and likes to slide the rear more than it likes to wheelie, especially if the asphalt is a bit worn.
hmm, odd that I can’t in sport with all safety setting off..
in a bit I’ll be adding termignoni exhaust and was hoping air too but I can’t seem to find a Ducati approved air filter.
I’ll dyno the bike after and see what’s up. It’s brand new. Still under 100km so if something maybe in the computer isn’t letting me at all my ponies I’d imagine Ducati will fix it

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can't remember that mine was down on power before the first service, but it could be, I took it pretty easy.
The Termi with Ducati up-map was a huge improvement, I did the first 2200km stock, and the low end was transformed.
I have also noticed that the bike likes premium fuel better, I startet filling ethanol free 98 octane fuel (EU) (93 US) on mine very early maybe even before the first service, and with the stock exhaust I felt the engine ran better and there was less mechanical noise from the engine (valves etc), I thought mine had a lot of tapping noises, which you obviously don't hear with the Termi.

As for wheelies, I have tried to avoid those, but on more that one occasion the steering has become light, so I know the front wheel has lifted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello anyone that cares to reply, hopefully with some wisdom not wisecracks. I just uncrated by 22 Diavel black and steel and took her for her maiden voyage! My possible issue is, I have it in sports mode with the engine on high and it feels nothing like the 2011 I’m used to riding. That would make my stomach sink when I crack on the throttle, yeah this one accelerates quickly but I expected a lot more out of a new bike. Is it possible I’m not setting something correctly? Is it this crap exhaust it came with that’s neutering it? The one I’m used to riding has race air and exhaust, no tune yet though. I’d appreciate any constructive input anybody has, as I want to fall in love with my bike like I did the other one. I hope everyone’s having a good day and ride safe,

Dave up in bc canada

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't remember that mine was down on power before the first service, but it could be, I took it pretty easy.
The Termi with Ducati up-map was a huge improvement, I did the first 2200km stock, and the low end was transformed.
I have also noticed that the bike likes premium fuel better, I startet filling ethanol free 98 octane fuel (EU) (93 US) on mine very early maybe even before the first service, and with the stock exhaust I felt the engine ran better and there was less mechanical noise from the engine (valves etc), I thought mine had a lot of tapping noises, which you obviously don't hear with the Termi.

As for wheelies, I have tried to avoid those, but on more that one occasion the steering has become light, so I know the front wheel has lifted.
yeah I definitely hear that noise with the stock too. I try to use the best fuel at the gas station, 95 is what I’ve been using, I’ll see if I can’t find 98.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
remove the exaust.
add a termi racing +mapping to your bike
disconnect the air-temperatur sensor in the airbox.
connect that wire to an modify senor. (which describes wrong air-temperature( 2 degree) , so you get mor fuel.
bikes are just to lean
mount the sensor to your handle-bar, to let him stay always in the fresh air ,not close to the hot engine!
termi coming with first service, holy tho 4g lol that’s pricy. Thanks for the reply, I’ll do this

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With a throttle blip in first gear it should come right up.
Also mine comes up powering through first towards the top of the rev range.
Comes up good enough that in my surprise I had to come off throttle. lol
Yeah, at 157hp it definitely should. Ducati is a 12h drive so I won’t be able to get there till my 1000km service. Worst case scenario I’ll trade it for a pannigale v4 and it’s someone else’s problem. Thanks for the reply, ya.. I can pin it in first and nothing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go back and double check that the rider aides are off. Sometimes you think you set them but they revert back to where they were.
How many miles on the bike?
Perhaps restricted?
I just cant believe that there's a big problem like that with the bike.
Anyone live in your area with a Diavel?
Comparison ride?
I can see a few HP difference between like bikes but not 15-20.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I’ll check again. It came with 1km. Yes but it’s a 2011 Diavel. Different engine… but it’s way faster, picks up quicker and spins or lifts the front tire if I twist hard… I was told my 2022 would smoke it. No f’n way.

here’s another thought. By the time I’m in 6th gear 6000rpm I’m barely 150km/h. The 2011? I’d be 250km/h

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go back and double check that the rider aides are off. Sometimes you think you set them but they revert back to where they were.
How many miles on the bike?
Perhaps restricted?
I just cant believe that there's a big problem like that with the bike.
Anyone live in your area with a Diavel?
Comparison ride?
I can see a few HP difference between like bikes but not 15-20.
I’ve got my bike with me now. I’m at 300km. Yeah, on sport all safety settings are off. It even prompts a dash warning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would certainly call the Ducati Tech from whatever dealership you might use and ask him about all this.
Possible its restricted for the first 600km?
Maybe.
There shouldn't be much diff in performance between gen 1 and 3.
The gen 3 has launch control which works very well.
You just want ANTI launch control. lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got my ‘20 I rode it like I stole it. That’s how I broke in my last 3 bikes. This one I had to hold on for dear life with a hard twist of the throttle. So no pre 600 mi restrictions that I can talk about. Now, I’m in the US. So I don’t know if they tune or restrict differently around the globe. Also for me, at ab 130mph it felt real light in the front end. Made me a bit nervous so I backed down. My normal highway speed is usually 80 these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks gents. Yup, it’ll be a 12h drive to Ducati. Was gonna slap on termignoni exhaust but I think I’ll just book the 1000km service, have them look at it. Possibly test another one to see.
They can fix it, or trade me for a street fighter v4.. I rode one… that umm, gave me that “holy fuck” factor I’m looking for.

tried launch control. That was fun.

few other things, I’m burning 30-50 gal/fuel/ml so everything should be firing.
0-130km/h from green light to passing under the light. (Launch and quick shift)
Rear tire won’t break loose or lift the front unless I rip the clutch in first. … and I got smoked by my friends fireblade 1000 and my 2011 slaps him till 120-140kmh.
Computer issue maybe? I hope it can be sorted out. After exhaust this bike will be 38g cad.. for that I’d need “more” to love it.
Worst case scenario, I trade for a different bike. Sucks cause I do love the look. At first “black and steel” made me laugh, it grew on me quick tho. Lol, enough to order one from across the country.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

have a few mods for her. Bar ends. Clear clutch. Side mount for plate and sport fairing. Was going to wrap the tank for an all black and yellow look for a bit.
does anyone know how mat paint takes vinyl?
Here’s the 11’ diamond black edition.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 44 Posts