Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Thanks Reid,
I was hoping to hear from you to confirm that this is just an overfill. It seemed to be the most likely cause. Do you think I need to check the air filter? I am sure the dealer would replace it if needed, at no cost to me. Also, my bike does use oil, probably because I am enjoying the throttle most of the time. I usually add a bit every 1000 miles or so. Should I just drive it or do you think I should drain some oil out now?
Thanks for sharing your mechanical expertise and experience with the forum!
$329 annual service, or expensive oil change with complimentary oil leak after. Priceless.
I think I'd want to reduce the level, by either draining or suctioning (not sure if that's practical on Diavel). I would not worry about the air filter. The airbox is designed to handle oil. I would, however, remove the plug from the airbox drain line, just in case there is a bunch of liquid there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anecdotally, I went to take my 16 out Sunday and saw a small pool of oil on the ground....Cleaned it up but need to see where its coming from. Does anyone have this experience when the bike is sitting all winter long in the garage? I haven't noticed any other leaks last year, I am wondering if the oil leak is because of the vast temperature changes lately, 70 as a high - 30 as a low....even though my garage never really "freezes"...

Sorry to Hijack Todd.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think I'd want to reduce the level, by either draining or suctioning (not sure if that's practical on Diavel). I would not worry about the air filter. The airbox is designed to handle oil. I would, however, remove the plug from the airbox drain line, just in case there is a bunch of liquid there.
Thanks Reid, (again)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Anecdotally, I went to take my 16 out Sunday and saw a small pool of oil on the ground....Cleaned it up but need to see where its coming from. Does anyone have this experience when the bike is sitting all winter long in the garage? I haven't noticed any other leaks last year, I am wondering if the oil leak is because of the vast temperature changes lately, 70 as a high - 30 as a low....even though my garage never really "freezes"...

Sorry to Hijack Todd.
No worries, sorry to hear you have a puddle........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would venture to say that's not normal at all. Ducati doesn't build a bike to spout oil on itself. They may make mistakes, that happens with anybody. But this is not a hugely reported problem with any Ducati that I've seen or read about.

I'm hoping they get you squared away my friend. Please let us know what they find so others may benefit from your experience.
Doesn't sound normal to me either. I did go out and check my oil level and it was at the top line so hopefully it is just an over fill issue. Will let you guys know what my mechanic finds. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update,
ReidMcT seems to have been correct, a simple (but unexpected) overfill during my recent service was the cause of my oil leak.
I cleaned her up really well and took her out for a brisk ride of about an hour and a half, no more oil has puked out.
A side note, I did buy Motul 600 at my cost and the dealer did bleed the rear brakes again (3d time) under warranty.
So far the pedal has remained firm.
If so this will be the first time since ownership began that my bike is without any mechanical/electrical problems.
I am hoping that more trouble free miles are ahead.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,642 Posts
I am hoping that more trouble free miles are ahead.
I altso hope so. You have been through some start issues.

My rear brake have altso been perfect for 4 months now

·
Registered
219 Posts
just to mention. When my dealer overfilled on my last service, the excess oil drained out of a tube that sits under the oil cooler. I talked to Ducati and they said that is what is supposed to occur on an overfill.

On a different occasion, I did have the exact same oil spray you showed in your pictures, Todd, and it was a cracked oil blow-by piece that they replaced under warranty. Have not had that happen again....

hope you don't see it again!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the heads up, perfect timing,
I am continuing to see the same spray pattern each time I ride the bike.
Back to the dealer again.
BTW, the Motul 600 did not cure my rear brake problem. I now again have about 3 inches of travel before the rear brake engages
as compared to about 1/4 inch after the last time it was bled. Somehow air keeps getting into the system.
Master cylinder?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Brakes went to mush as well for me. A little more travel than before. Supposedly dealer put the motul syn brake fluid in when they did the first brake bleed for me. I've heard the Castrol brake fluid is better for the Ducati brake issue. A little pricey though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
BTW, the Motul 600 did not cure my rear brake problem. I now again have about 3 inches of travel before the rear brake engages
as compared to about 1/4 inch after the last time it was bled. Somehow air keeps getting into the system.
Master cylinder?
I had a very small leak coming from my vertical cylinder rear cam variator. The oil was then travelling down and pooling around the area where the breather profile passes through the cam cover. It then slowly came out and was splashing onto the area that you are showing in the photo.

Also note that no brake fluid will work, unless the dealer has followed the proper procedure, and removed and inverted the rear brake caliper to get all of the air out. Did they do that?

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Master cylinder?
^^^^^@Todd.....That's total BS on a new+ $20K motorbike!!
Demand a loaner bike! Tell 'em its your only source of transportation to work.

Don't take NO SHIT!!!
First steps into stealership...Act very irate. i'm bad and don't take no shit. :
https://www.youtube....h?v=BLzPRyMmOGY

Joking aside...Demand resolution ASAP, since it's a daily rider. Wheel (Cust.) that squeaks the loudest gets the grease.All the best.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a very small leak coming from my vertical cylinder rear cam variator. The oil was then travelling down and pooling around the area where the breather profile passes through the cam cover. It then slowly came out and was splashing onto the area that you are showing in the photo.

Also note that no brake fluid will work, unless the dealer has followed the proper procedure, and removed and inverted the rear brake caliper to get all of the air out. Did they do that?
Ah, now we have TWO possibilities for the root of the problem!

I have the mushy rear brake issue as well after getting the bike out after the two winters I have had it.....back to the dealer to ensure they do the bleed correctly.....under warranty, of course!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ah, now we have TWO possibilities for the root of the problem!

I have the mushy rear brake issue as well after getting the bike out after the two winters I have had it.....back to the dealer to ensure they do the bleed correctly.....under warranty, of course!
There have been a lot of threads about the rear brake issue. I had that problem also when I first had my XDS. A lot of guys have had quite a few different opinions and suggestions for a solution but I won't get into that all over again here. I solved my rear brake pedal problem. I just bled the rear brake one time the correct way, nothing fancy, no special brake fluid, no weights on the brake lever overnight. This should be a fairly simple thing for a competent dealer and competent mechanics to get right. I think some dealers try to take a short cut and just do a straight brake bleed without removing the rear wheel and taking off the caliper and turning it upside down so the bleeder screw is at the topmost point of the brake system. A straight brake bleed takes 5-10 minutes. Doing it properly as the manual describes takes maybe 60-90 minutes. Read the shop service manual. The correct method of bleeding the rear brakes are fully detailed. When the rear brake bleeding procedure is done properly there should be no more problems. If after doing it the right way by COMPETENT MECHANICS ( a key requirement these days and sometimes hard to find), you still have a problem...... well that's a new can of worms.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The mechanic said he did remove and invert the caliper the last two times he has bled the brakes. What I don’t get is that after service, the brakes are nice and firm, very little travel before engagement. If they weren’t bled properly, wouldn’t they still be soft. I don’t use them often, a little trail braking for some slow tight corners and other slow speed maneuvers. Eventually, as the miles add up, they progressively get softer and softer. It seems to me that air is getting in somehow. My reservoirs are leaking for sure, we have started a warranty claim for replacement, but I don’t think that contributes to mushy brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. I also changed oil and filter. I measured what I had taken before filling it, and it gave me about 3.5 liters. That's what I put on the bike and everything went well on its level, so because of the experience that some have had here, the 4.2 liters should be when the engine is totally empty.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts