Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
I just had my annual service done at the dealer and after a couple of rides 158 miles later I notice I have an oil leak.
Total mileage 5515 miles. It seems to be on the right side of engine. It has splashed up on silver part of swing arm carrier, and
looking further, pics show it coming from somewhere underneath. Is this a simple case of an overfill getting blown out?
If so, is the air filter compromised? Or do I have a real problem? It's Sunday and I will call the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.
Reid, what say you?
Thanks all
Went out and squeezed the rubber breather hose? it is definitely wet inside as well. I think the oil might be coming from there.
The bike is hot now so I can't really check the oil level. When it is upright the oil window is almost completely full, hot.
My wife took the picture as I held the bike straight up, the oil is just below the little hole up top, way above the two level lines on the case. (hot)

Attachments

·
Registered
x_posts
G'day...that's pretty nasty looking. You say that last pic was your oil level hot with the bike upright you're definitely over the full mark. Wait & check the oil when it's cool. Breather hose wet inside also. Oil capacity stated in the owners manual is 4.2 liters total including the oil filter capacity. I think that's probably if your engine was bone dry with no residual oil clinging to the inside of the engine anywhere, including oil lines. if you left your bike at the dealer for service maybe they did the oil change cold and just put in 4 liters (or quarts, whatever size container the oil comes in where you are). More residual oil would remain in the engine if it was drained when cold. I just changed my oil 2 days ago and I only got just over 3.5 liters including the filter and it was right up at the top mark. I see where a couple of other guys here had the same experience as I did. If you can't tell definitely where the oil might be coming from just crack your drain plug and drain a bit of oil out so the level is between the two marks.
If it was fine before the oil change and has only happened since you got it back I'd say it is because of something that happened during the service. Your dealer should make it right.

·
Registered
x_posts
Changed my oil at the weekend and filled it back up to the upper mark. 3.3 litres and that included the oil filter
I had a similar issue where oil was leaking down from the rear cylinder variator and coming out from the hose that passes through the belt cover. I simply nipped up the variator bolt

·
Registered
x_posts
Sucks to hear Bud...I'd almost have to bet, it's some monkey mechanic at the stealership failed to properly torque something down.

About a year ago, got an oil change for vehicle at Jiffy Lube...About a week later, my neighbor noticed a small oil stain underneath engine where I park. Lo and behold the drain plug unscrewed itself about half way out! I mean WTF??!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
x_posts
The filter area looks dry so don’t think that the filter is the issue. It could also be a split in the engine breather tube that again runs through the cam cover?

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS ALL,
I cleaned her up and will ride her a bit to see if this was a simple overfill.
When cold, the oil level is now just at the top of the max line on the case.
Maybe the excess oil was puked out and from now on won't continue to leak.
The dealer says to try it and see. Is it an easy task to take of the tank and get to the air filter?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
x_posts
Removing the fuel tank is not so tricky. Maybe refitting (the 2 canister hose may be a bit tricky. ) use your time to not scratch the tank.

Attachments

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Registered
x_posts
THANKS ALL,
I cleaned her up and will ride her a bit to see if this was a simple overfill.
When cold, the oil level is now just at the top of the max line on the case.
Maybe the excess oil was puked out and from now on won't continue to leak.
The dealer says to try it and see. Is it an easy task to take of the tank and get to the air filter?
No big deal. I did this a bunch of times in the last few days.
I did my Spring service a few days ago and installed a K&N air filter so I had to remove the tank.
My fork lock never worked properly so I took it off again to troubleshoot that. Just some adjustments needed and all is OK now.
I had it off again this morning to install a Scorpio alarm system.
If you have a manual just follow the instructions. XD1262 sent you the screenshots from the shop manual.
The shop manual says to drain the tank. You don't really have to. Just be careful.

·
Registered
x_posts
Hi gentlemen. Having the same issue with oil coming out of that hose. Took it into the dealershipand the mechanic told me it was normal with the Diavels. Didn't really give me a reason as to why it happens. Found a new guy in Milton that works on all the Italian bikes that will be checking it out for me but not till April 24th. Hopefully we don't have a serious issue in our hands.

·
Premium Member
x_posts
I would venture to say that's not normal at all. Ducati doesn't build a bike to spout oil on itself. They may make mistakes, that happens with anybody. But this is not a hugely reported problem with any Ducati that I've seen or read about.

I'm hoping they get you squared away my friend. Please let us know what they find so others may benefit from your experience.

·
Registered
x_posts
Hi gentlemen. Having the same issue with oil coming out of that hose. Took it into the dealershipand the mechanic told me it was normal with the Diavels. Didn't really give me a reason as to why it happens. Found a new guy in Milton that works on all the Italian bikes that will be checking it out for me but not till April 24th. Hopefully we don't have a serious issue in our hands.
I don't believe that is normal either. My XDS never does that and I have my evaporation canister removed and everything vents to the atmosphere. Never a drop.
Old Harleys have a tendency do that especially if you fill the oil tank too full. New Harleys can also if the oil tank is overfilled but usually not as much as the older ones like Shovelheads and older.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
x_posts
Looks like a simple case of overfill. Optimum level is midway between marks, not the top mark.

This is normal... But only for overfilled engines.

·
Registered
x_posts
Thanks Reid,
I was hoping to hear from you to confirm that this is just an overfill. It seemed to be the most likely cause. Do you think I need to check the air filter? I am sure the dealer would replace it if needed, at no cost to me. Also, my bike does use oil, probably because I am enjoying the throttle most of the time. I usually add a bit every 1000 miles or so. Should I just drive it or do you think I should drain some oil out now?
Thanks for sharing your mechanical expertise and experience with the forum!
$329 annual service, or expensive oil change with complimentary oil leak after. Priceless.

·
Premium Member
x_posts
Anytime an engine is overfilled, it will tends to consume more oil. It's harder for the excess oil to remain in the sump. It get thrashed about and more will come out the breather or find its way into the cylinders. This is why you see warnings on pretty much all engines not to overfill.

I know it seems ok. Some is good, more is better, too much is just right is human nature, but resist the urge. Keep it between the hash marks and life will be good.

·
Registered
x_posts
I’m still in the break in process for my xds and haven’t been able to open her up yet, but I hear they have breathers on the heads like Harley’s and at high rpms they’ll spit out some oil due to the high pressures. Not sure if it’s true or not. Seen it on YouTube from “the speed bug” channel. Only problem I’m having is the non existent rear brake.

x_y_of_z_posts