Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I could have lost my life and that of my wife's life, but that Diavel technology pulled through and saved us both.

We were on a small road just gently cruising at about 40 mph (3rd gear & termis making sounds just perfect). A semi-steep downward hill with a curve to the left -- this is very near our home and very familiar to me -- what I didn't expect was having a crazy cage driver using up the entire road coming up and around the curve toward us on the Diavel.

I did a lot of thinking in those split seconds and worked on getting as much speed reduce before we left the pavement. It was a small shoulder with a very steep (almost cliff) about 5 feet off the road. I had to keep the bike in the tall grass but away from that drop off. When I left the pavement I felt the tires lose just a bit of grip but before I could react and reduce the braking a bit that wonderful anti-lock technology kicked in and took that slipping way (at least I think that's what happened). It happened so fast and when I stopped in the deep grass my foot was about one foot away from that aforementioned edge.

My wife quickly hopped off and ran up the hill to look around the corner -- but the cager was gone. We were almost dead because of him -- but he was a sorry example of humanity.

My wife praised me up and down for my skills in saving us, and for my part I was about to lay a big juicy kiss on those wonderful brakes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=40.93033,-81.653717&spn=0.004227,0.004061&t=m&z=18

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Glad you guys are fine. That's all that matters....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good save man. Glad we have such great brakes. Never had to use the brakes to save my butt but had to use the power to save myself from a deer. Good brakes and lots of power can save out butts.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Oh, my. I just checked out the street-level views. If you had gone over the bank and been seriously hurt, they might not find you until winter.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Good to know you are fine!

And for those who questioned the use of ABS on bikes.......... (in fact BMW announced that all their bikes will come with ABS as standard)... that is how useful it is.

We were in some nice roads around the Nurburg-ring area in our car, on a nice down-hill turn to the right on a wet road.... a silly youngster coming cutting the curve invading our line.... worse was that he was sliding as he tried to control his SCOOTER!!!! before he could manage to move out of our line... no big braking... but just to share this one too.... That it is not only about us riding our Diavels also happens on our cars....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Weeder, I take it when you say cage driver you mean somebody with a roll cage fitted and they think they own the road ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts