Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my bike now for just over a year(2013) and have roughly 4k miles on her. For the past couple months I notice the steering is fighting me when turning at any speed. I thought it was just me but I don't notice it on my much heavier bike, a Victory Hammer S, also with a large tire on the back. It's like the wheel wants to turn in sharper then it needs to and I have to counter steer harder to stay on my line. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Have you changed your suspension, settings or tyres since this started happening? Have you checked your tyre pressures and wear pattern?

I noticed this after I changed my rear shock to Ohlins which lifts the back of the bike up a little bit. Also to a lessor extent after changing the forks to ohlins as well. I've been meaning to check the rake of the ohlins compared with stock and I forgot to measure the difference in length. I'll try to remember to do that when I get home from work.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Start with the basics check tire pressure & condition. After 4K and depending on your driving style, you may have developed flat spots on tires that would increase steering effort.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
For practise...Just for an extremely amateurish guess on suspension, would this be called understeering from lack of compression on the front? Is this fixed by increasing the rebound damping or preload?

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
There is no wheel alignment procedure for the Diavel that I'm aware of.

Reactions: fred

·
Registered
902 Posts
There is for the forks in relationship to the frame, front and rear wheel. If they're out of alignment or binding under compression it will adversely effect handling. Any motorcycle will benefit from proper wheel alignment.

See what I mean, you haven't even checked yours.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Oi...

Reactions: ReidMcT

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
This might be helpful GSAMF, this might not be the problem you are having but check out the other options:
http://www.sportrider.com/suspension-tuning-guide-handling

Problem: Hank says his bike's steering feels super heavy at low speeds, and once he gets his bike turning by using lots of muscle, it practically falls into corners.

Solution: These characteristics could be the result of a squared-off rear tire (too much straight-line riding) or notchy or too-tight steering head bearings; if Hank has a steering damper mounted, it may be adjusted too tight. Suspension-wise, heavy steering is a typical result of having rear ride height set too low, raking out the chassis like a chopper.

If Hank notices the same troubles after trying his bike with the steering damper backed off, checking his tire and adjusting his steering head bearings, the problem is most likely in his bike's chassis attitude. Front and rear sag should be checked and set correctly, followed by another ride to check for any changes in handling. If there is little or no change, Hank will have to gradually change his geometry by either raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps or--if he's lucky and has a rear ride-height adjuster--raising the rear of his bike. When dropping the front end of a bike by adjusting fork height, it's a good idea to keep an eye on clearance between the front tire and radiator, and also--on a conventional fork--to ensure the sliders don't bottom out on the lower triple clamp.

Reactions: ReidMcT

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
I've owned my bike now for just over a year(2013) and have roughly 4k miles on her. For the past couple months I notice the steering is fighting me when turning at any speed. I thought it was just me but I don't notice it on my much heavier bike, a Victory Hammer S, also with a large tire on the back. It's like the wheel wants to turn in sharper then it needs to and I have to counter steer harder to stay on my line. Any ideas?
Sounds like worn tires to me.

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
There is for the forks in relationship to the frame, front and rear wheel. If they're out of alignment or binding under compression it will adversely effect handling. Any motorcycle will benefit from proper wheel alignment.

See what I mean, you haven't even checked yours.
How do you align the front end Hobby?
I've heard about front end binding...a bit lost buddy....

·
Registered
2,693 Posts

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
I've used up my likes on some of the people that get it. Listen to them, CSAMF.

Reactions: akaCarioca

·
Registered
902 Posts
[media]http://youtu.be/c0dkpQJREno

This is a quick couple of videos of how it's done with upside down forks, this is one of the tools I use in accomplishing this simple task. It applies to all types of front forks and isn't very hard to understand for someone who already knows.

Just because the Diavel is equipped with a singe sided swing arm (SSS) doesn't mean the front forks and wheel are properly aligned in relationship to the frame and swing arm. I presumed you'd have already understood this Reid, being a backyard mechanic. Pay special attention to del boys video, he explains and shows why the front forks & wheel on the Busa are out of line and how to realign it. Easier this way to see it, then have me explain it thru comments.

How do you align the front end Hobby?
I've heard about front end binding...a bit lost buddy
Hope this helps you understand Fred, if you need any further information just holler.

A misaligned front wheel and forks cause; fork seal damage, ***offline tracking in both corners and straight line,*** binding during fork compression (which exacerbates the problem), excessive tire wear, excessive front bearing wear, misalignment with relationship to the frame and swing arm, which all contribute to poor overall handling.

It's like the wheel wants to turn in sharper then it needs to and I have to counter steer harder to stay on my line. Any ideas?
Hmmmmmmm sounds like.................................

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
4k miles? The rear tire is flattening out, causing the steering issue. The sharper the profile, the faster steering you'll get. Put a new set of tires on and it'll be a night and day difference.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
For practise...Just for an extremely amateurish guess on suspension, would this be called understeering from lack of compression on the front? Is this fixed by increasing the rebound damping or preload?
No amount of suspension adjustment is going to counteract the sluggish steering a flat profile tire causes. Same thing happens on my 1098 when the 190/55 wears too flat in the middle.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like tire wear. I noticed this same effect right before I changed my tires. Afterwards the bike was easier to steer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts