Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Michelin Power RS has been out there for a while, it would be interesting to hear the comments of the riders who have tried them and are happy to stick with them or have gone back to the Rosso II. As I have tried them myself and found that they turn in quicker and do hold a tighter line through a corner, it's the transition from upright to mid lean that they don't feel as planted as the Pirelli and to me they feel a little vague. I think this has a lot to do with the profile as when you are at full lean angle they are fine. It's the same as when you are coming out of a corner and start lifting the bike back up onto the mid section of the tyre, hard on the gas firing out of a corner, (as we all know that's one of the Diavel's strong points) I find the RS does not give me the same confidence as the Rosso II.I And yes, the Rosso II does wear out a lot quicker as I only get 2000 miles from the front and that's past its best and around 2200 from the rear. I don't do high mileage so I'm happy with that. I want to get that in as I appreciate that there are plenty of you who do big mileage and want more life from a tyre.

I have an Ohlins rear shock re-valved and sprung with 4mm of extra ride height, plus a 25mm k-tech cartridge kit in the front, I mention this as the other gripe I have is that I found the Power RS to be harsher over bumpy roads compared to the Pirelli on the exact same suspension settings and tyre pressures that both manufactures recommend for solo riding. Like I said this is my personal opinion of the Power RS and I am not knocking Michelin. It just would be interesting to hear from other riders as there seems to be a lot of feedback on the Power 3 but not the Power RS. I have just gone back to a new set of Rosso II and I'm just waiting for some good weather as it was snowing here last weekend.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hmm, interesting feedback. I've just started a set of Power RS, besides silicone sliding out of the tire shop while goosing the throttle in the first turn ( I almost became a good story, after all the new tire warnings and 40+ years of riding), I like the vicious look of them, and handling so far. Funny you should mention the harsher ride or bounce on bumpy roads. I may have felt the same but a little early to confirm. We in the States still have access to the PP3s, as stock has not run out. My last pair was great but as Mr. Reid said he noticed a slippiness when the tire got close to the center wear bars but not fully worn. I felt the same, had tread but was sliding a bit when standing it up out of corners. So I'd like to see how long the RS last. I consistently got 4k miles on Rosso, 5k on PP3 and we will see on the Power RS. Evaluate on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi oneup008. The harshness does ease up a little after a few hundred miles. It must be to do with there Adaptive casing technology settling in (Technical stuff) A friend of mine has previously been on the Power 3 and now running the RS he really rates the RS over the Power 3 so hopefully they will work for you. He also stated that the RS turned in quicker than both the Rosso II and Power 3. So it will be interesting to hear what you think. Enjoy cheers

·
Registered
612 Posts
Getting my RS's on Tomorrow but of course it's going to be wet and cold so will have to wait...
4-8-2016 well will be a few more days, front bearings need attention, they aren't shot but they are not correct, they rotate with no play but jitters as you turn them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My two cents: the profile on the Pirelli vs the RS is quite different, the RS has an almost perfect radius while the Pirelli is a bit peaked with a much flatter transition to the shoulder, so they each have unique characteristics from upright to varying degrees of lean. I thought the Pirelli did more of a "drop" into the lean, with more work required to get all the way to the shoulder, where the RS has a linear feel all the way through- that's why in the first few rides I was surprised to be grinding my pegs almost immediately, because it took a lot less effort to get there along with such a smooth transition and seemingly endless grip. I am getting quite a bit more lean more often because of this, and I find more confidence carrying higher corner speeds. My pegs are hammered but I still have not totally scuffed the RS all the way to it's lip, while the Pirellis were fully shagged from less lean. Acceleration and braking on the RS is fantastic as well, they warm quicker than the Pirellis ever did. As I've commented elsewhere, the Pirellis did slip but in a predictable way so they had their own appeal; I can't count the number of times lofting the front wheel out of a corner with my butt telling me the rear was still moving around, no complaints about that kind of experience. But the RSs simply do what you tell them, without complaint, and it's the same every time. As far as handling performance they are different and in my opinion a couple ticks better than the Pirellis in every way.
Regarding the harshness, once I dropped pressures to 32/32 I have never looked back- better ride and much less skittering in corners, especially on not perfect surfaces. 36 in the rear always felt like a rock to me and it never seemed to get planted. The ride home from getting the RSs mounted all I could think about was lowering pressures, freshly mounted tires are always way too high and I felt every damn crack and bump.

·
Registered
612 Posts
SKIDRUMR...I agree with you, I was surprised how much easier it was to lean into turns. I am not a Superbiker so I don't push it hard.
I will have to try the 32/32, I am running 36/36 and it did seem a bit rougher over sharp bumps.
Curious what mileage I will get out of them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Semi-related: always check your tire pressure after a dealership service of any kind, they are obligated to check it and make sure it is at the OEM suggested pressure, minimum. I got the bike back from a fuel sensor replacement (surprise!) and both tires were at 40 psi. I habitually check prior to each ride so it wouldn't have caught me off guard but it might someone else. At that pressure, regardless of tire, you will be skittering all over the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was glad I picked up a nail in my Michelins and went back to the Pirelli. I feel like you hit the chicken strip to soon when you are leaned over hard into a corner and the bike waffles around like you are ready to go down. And this is me being overly critical since I was on a GSXR for 9 years before this bike and I know in alot of aspects they are apple and oranges but I will take the Pirelli any day over the current Michellins.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
+1 on the RS. Never fails to stick hot or cold. Even front and rear wear. Got a spare set of PP3s if anyone looking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
its very difficult to fine though, even in US there is only a few places left and gets out of stock quickly. Anyone know if it is discontinued?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely love the Michelins over the Pirelli's. Not only do I consistently get comments on how awesome the "rain drop" tread pattern looks, but they stick like hot tar and tread life seems to be greatly improved over stock. I've got about 1500 miles on them and no visible squaring or off-rounding. They roll into turns so much more confidently than the Pirellis, which always felt like I was "falling off" center line into corners.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ditto on what everyone said above.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I love the Michelin P3's.
I am not a track road racer, as our bikes aren't either.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I absolutely love the Michelins over the Pirelli's. Not only do I consistently get comments on how awesome the "rain drop" tread pattern looks, but they stick like hot tar and tread life seems to be greatly improved over stock. I've got about 1500 miles on them and no visible squaring or off-rounding. They roll into turns so much more confidently than the Pirellis, which always felt like I was "falling off" center line into corners.
While I absolutely agree on everything you said.....Except, Pirelli has Softer compound.

My experiences. Michy's lasts 20-40% longer, but NOTHING sticks better than a Pirelli....cars and bikes alike! Problem is, they don't last.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sorry but their is more to a tires compound then softness to make it grip which is proven in many extensive tire shoot outs and in depth tests .
The silica that makes up the compound, the heat range,belting,etc..
Every tire has it's own plus and minus with the top tier close in many areas
Just saying , IMO

·
Registered
136 Posts
Michelin power rs is by far the best tyre for the Diavel IMHO. Turns in better, Sticks like shit to a blanket , they arent great in the wet but lets be honest the Diavel can be a handful in the wet regardless of tyre brand. I have done 3,000 kms on my first set I reckon I will hopefully get another 1,500 kms before I slap on a new set..... I have even put a set on my CBR1000rr. Massive fan of them...

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Semi-related: always check your tire pressure after a dealership service of any kind, they are obligated to check it and make sure it is at the OEM suggested pressure, minimum. I got the bike back from a fuel sensor replacement (surprise!) and both tires were at 40 psi. I habitually check prior to each ride so it wouldn't have caught me off guard but it might someone else. At that pressure, regardless of tire, you will be skittering all over the road.
Well, I guess your dealer rather missed the mark, since recommended pressure is 2.5-2.6 bar (roughly 36-38 psi).

As for me, I do not think I'll be returning to Pirelli, having found both the Michelin PR and RS tires longer-lasting, more even-wearing, and with useful wear bars. I can appreciate that there may be an argument for the Pirellis by riders who seek the limits of cornering performance, but that isn't me. I want a tire that grips well, keeps its profile for more than 2400 miles, and doesn't surprise me with steel belts emerging ahead of the wear bars.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Michelin power rs is by far the best tyre for the Diavel IMHO. Turns in better, Sticks like shit to a blanket , they arent great in the wet but lets be honest the Diavel can be a handful in the wet regardless of tyre brand. I have done 3,000 kms on my first set I reckon I will hopefully get another 1,500 kms before I slap on a new set..... I have even put a set on my CBR1000rr. Massive fan of them...
Pls tell me Daisy, differences in performance Diavel vs cbr1000rr?

No doubt the Honda has higher top end, but how much quicker is it vs Diavel, say quarter mile e.t. or approx 150mph?

Which bike delivers most fun factor?

safe/calm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts