Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Looking for All the Zard Exhaust Owners Out There!

Tags
exhaust zard
6K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  WR Studios 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and just signed up today after reading some good discussions. I'm based in Denmark and now a new proud owner of a 2022 Ducati Diavel 1260 Black and Steel. Really love the color scheme of the bike and it definitely looks unique.

I'm pretty happy with the bike, but feel that the exhaust is a bit lacking. I have the Euro5 version and can swear that the Euro4 Diavel 1260 that I rented in Valencia, Spain was a bit louder than the version I have.

As Denmark has strict controls on emissions and exhaust loudness, I am looking to get a homologated Euro5 aftermarket exhaust. One that I really like the look of is the Zard exhaust for the Diavel 1260 that can be ordered Euro5 homologated. As the forum on Zard exhausts is a bit old. I decided to start a new one and get people's thoughts as I know there are some Norwegian members that are pretty active on this forum and close neighbors. Maybe take a ferry over and ride around the mountains 😎

Some questions I have are the following:

How do people like the exhaust in terms of the sound and look? (Is it a definite upgrade over the stock sound. Any complaints or issues?)

Do you need to re-tune the ECU for this exhaust? (It says on the Zard website that is not necessary, but wanted real owners to comment on this.)

Any issues with using the exhaust servo eliminator included in the exhaust?

Any installation issues?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to a good discussion.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi neighbour...

Yes you are welcome to ride with me in the Mountains. Tons of amazing twisting roads...

I had Zard (Euro 4) homoglated exhaust on my 16' Xdiavel- almost comparable.

As long you install the homoglated/ catalyst version no upmap should be necessary. The Euro 5 version may effect some for" the loud", but just remove the DB killer (baffles) and it will get loud enough.

When I order it, the Healtech servomotor eliminator was included, but if not a cost of € 50,-

I'll try to find a picture from some other with black coated Zard on the Black & Steel 😈🔥

#19 · (Edited)
Hi neighbour...

Yes you are welcome to ride with me in the Mountains. Tons of amazing twisting roads...

I had Zard (Euro 4) homoglated exhaust on my 16' Xdiavel- almost comparable.

As long you install the homoglated/ catalyst version no upmap should be necessary. The Euro 5 version may effect some for" the loud", but just remove the DB killer (baffles) and it will get loud enough.

When I order it, the Healtech servomotor eliminator was included, but if not a cost of € 50,-

I'll try to find a picture from some other with black coated Zard on the Black & Steel 😈🔥
@Ghorgon63 Do you have experience removing the db killer? I have ordered the Euro5 homologated version, but want to know how difficult the process is in case the sound is not up to par.

I have received two exhausts from Zard and have not been happy with the silencer tips they have. Plus there have been some workmanship issues in terms of the tip alignment in regards to the exhaust and some holes and gouges in the area where the tips meet the exhaust. Another strange issue us that the exhaust tips don't match the website picture. The exhaust I received has the tips smaller in diameter and cut at an angle.

I believe the exhaust looks better without the added DB killer tips.

#4 ·
Looks really nice 🤩 Love the color of the bike 😉

I have a friend that I ride with and was trying to find somewhere easily accessible so I might have to make it by ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo and go from there. Some planning will have to be made.

Would love to remove the DB killer, but cops in Denmark are cracking down on motorcycle loudness. Seems too many people were abusing it and now things got strict for everyone 😵‍💫

Did the servo motor eliminator cause any issues or everything was pretty smooth? Were there any benefits other than letting the sound go through?

I was able to get this info from an article I saw talking about the exhaust and how loud it is. Looks like the loudness is enough for me.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Is your friend satisfied with the exhaust? How would he or she compare the sound with the stock exhaust? I'm leaning towards the silver color as I like the contrast with the black of the bike 😎

#5 ·
Lives close to Oslo, and joins if coincidences suit.

You must have a servomotor eliminator, since you are removing the original catalytic converter and will get the engine light. Zard catalyst does not have this.
Have ridden with this eliminator also on my Kawasaki H2 SX, works fine.

If you buy the Homoglated version, the DB killer is welded and must be drilled to remove. Looks and sounds good anyway with db inside.

Picture is from a Facebook group.

Stainless steel or black exhaust will works. It's your preference......

#7 ·
Hi Neighbor :)

I'm on the south west coast, Stavanger area, some great areas to ride here. If you go from Hirtshals to Kristiansand, you can pretty much head straight north and stay for days roaming the mountains.

I have the Termi with Ducati map, that's de-cat so pretty loud, I keep the db-kilers in, then it's probably quiet enough during cruise to not get noticed, but when you open her up she's loud!!
It's "not road legal" so I'm taking my chances.

#8 ·
Hello 🤗

Sounds really beautiful. Unfortunately, Denmark has no mountains just big hills 😅 I've been wanting to do a trip to Norway for a while.

Yeah, I will say that the Termi exhaust is a no go for me. Don't want to have any problems with the Danish cops. The sound is nice 😎

I'm close to getting the Zard Euro5 homologated exhaust if they get back to me. Sales process is less than ideal, but moving forward.

Pretty plug and play and the install removes the servo motor with a special add-on that tells the ECU that things are good. I heard the sound on a German forum on a YouTube video and pretty happy with what I hear. I am NOT happy with the Euro5 stock exhaust. Really a big downgrade from the Euro4 stock exhaust. Way too quiet. I'm sure all the Europeans are going to hate Euro5 affecting all the new motorcycles.

#9 ·
Yes the stock is too quiet, I rode the first season stock.
The stock is not too bad when the valve opens at 4000rpm, so if the valve could be open all the time it might have been ok.
Also the mapping makes the engine a lot better at handling low rpm as well, I also started putting 98 octane in mine as the engine seemed to like that better, I felt that removed some of the mechanical noises from the engine.

Denmark is a very nice place, but I guess we have better motorcycle roads here in Norway, you have other things that attracts a lot of Norwegians to your country though.

If you need any hints as to where to go I can give you some pointers, I know the south-west pretty well.

#10 ·
Do you have a Euro4 or Euro5 Diavel? They really dropped the ball with the Euro5 exhaust sound. Not impressive at all 🫤😵‍💫

I've heard of people removing the servomotor cable connection and installing a healtech so that it is always open. They say that it improves the sound a lot.

Would love to do a map but since the bike is under warranty, I don't want Ducati denying me warranty service due to a change to the ECU.

Still waiting for Zard to send me an invoice to pay for the exhaust 🙄

#11 ·
Euro 5 come in 2021,
so '19 & '20 will be Euro 4.

If you search a bit around here, you find out we owners after '21 are pretty much screwed up due to tuning. Some clame to break into ECU, but we most are locked to up-map exclusive Termingnoni bought by the official Ducati Dealer.
But riding homoglated/ catalyst not so much are changing.

Looking forward @wrestrepo to se result.
The installation are straightforward and to be done less than 2 hours works, depends how much beer you consume during the installation...

#12 · (Edited)
Euro 5 come in 2021,
so '19 & '20 will be Euro 4.

If you search a bit around here, you find out we owners after '21 are pretty much screwed up due to tuning. Some clame to break into ECU, but we most are locked to up-map exclusive Termingnoni bought by the official Ducati Dealer.
But riding homoglated/ catalyst not so much are changing.

Looking forward @wrestrepo to se result.
The installation are straightforward and to be done less than 2 hours works, depends how much beer you consume during the installation...
Haha 😆 Let's hope the mechanic is not consuming beer 🍺

Can you reference the thread talking about the issues with Euro5 Diavels? I have looked through the forums and haven't found anything to that nature. What issues have the new Euro5 ECUs brought in? As a newer person to motorcycles, I was happy that the new motorcycles brought in a bit more horsepower, but I guess I'm missing the facts.

#13 ·
Oh, I thought you may swap the exhaust by yourself. Not difficult.

Not finding the thread right now.
It's no issues, but Euro 5 makes it more difficult to do a "up-map "/ tune.

#14 ·
Finally got the invoice from Zard and paid for the exhaust. Anxiously waiting for the delivery and moving forward with the install at the Ducati dealer in Denmark 😊 Will post impressions and updates as I believe others would like to know.

Unfortunately, I don't have all the tools for the install. I saw that one of the bolts required a special multi-angle wrench. This is where having mechanic friends would be handy 😄

Is the difficulty in the up-map due to a new security protocol? I guess it's just a matter of time to get a solution. Nothing is 100% secure.

I'm under the impression that Euro5 is similar to Euro4 just minor tweaks or is there a big difference? Obviously other than the emissions. Excuse my ignorance in the subject ahead of time. I saw that the Lamborghini Diavel is Euro5. If that is the case, the exhaust sound must be way subdued which is a shame.

#15 ·
Yes, the original Exhaust of Lamborghini (and yours) sound like a can of beans. Not the sound you expected from this kind of looking bike.

Me and some other Lambo owners has gone for the Termi, but I've got back to the "original exhaust " with non original- original exhaust... Custom exhaust with using the original Carbon cover
(I've may put an update thread for my bike)

#18 ·
Wow. Looks great! 😎 Got everything sorted out with Zard and the exhaust was in stock and got it with EU5 homologated. They shipped out yesterday from Italy so hopefully get it next week. Now it’s just a matter of getting an appointment at the dealer and getting it installed.

Pretty excited 🤩

#21 · (Edited)
Hey @Schartho

Definitely not answering for @Noggie but from my research the Termi exhaust for the Ducati Diavel 1260 is not legal by emissions and by loudness in the EU. It is considered a race exhaust and not a homologated one. This is the same in the US where dealers are being more cautious on people installing the exhaust as some states have strict emissions standards. I am under the impression that police in places like Germany and Italy are stopping people to do sound tests. Not sure if they need to do emissions tests.

This is the reason why the Zard Euro5 homologated exhaust is interesting as it is road legal in Europe.

If you click on Ducati's website for the exhaust you will see in the icons that when you hover will say,

"For racing use only - The product marked with this symbol can only be used on competition vehicles. Use outside a competition track of motorcycles equipped with this product is prohibited by law. Verify any further restrictions with the relevant race course. Motorcycles equipped with this accessory are prohibited from operating on public roads."

"This product is intended for vehicles used only in closed- course competition. Operation on public roads is prohibited by law."

"This accessory is not approved for road circulation."

Please see Ducati 2022 brochure snippets attached as pictures
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Circle

#22 ·
Hey @Schartho

Definitely not answering for @Noggie but from my research the Termi exhaust for the Ducati Diavel 1260 is not legal by emissions and by loudness in the EU. It is considered a race exhaust and not a homologated one. This is the same in the US where dealers are being more cautious on people installing the exhaust as some states have strict emissions standards. I am under the impression that police in places like Germany and Italy are stopping people to do sound tests. Not sure if they need to do emissions tests.

This is the reason why the Zard Euro5 homologated exhaust is interesting as it is road legal in Europe.

If you click on Ducati's website for the exhaust you will see in the icons that when you hover will say,

"For racing use only - The product marked with this symbol can only be used on competition vehicles. Use outside a competition track of motorcycles equipped with this product is prohibited by law. Verify any further restrictions with the relevant race course. Motorcycles equipped with this accessory are prohibited from operating on public roads."

"This product is intended for vehicles used only in closed- course competition. Operation on public roads is prohibited by law."

"This accessory is not approved for road circulation."

Please see Ducati 2022 brochure snippets attached as pictures
View attachment 112018 View attachment 112019

Hi wrestrepo,

thanks a lot for the detailed information, I was not aware of that. So maybe it is really so that all these Diavel owners with the Termi in Norway (where its a lot of them) and also in rest of Europe just hoping not to get caught or can it be that the rules are different in Norway since we are not EU?

I like the design of the Termi a lot because its so low and short but actually the zard looks also nice but would be good to know how it sounds compared to Termi.

Regards,
Thomas

#23 ·
I know that the UK follows Euro5 and I believe Switzerland too. All European countries are getting stricter with sound pollution / vehicle noise and emissions. That is we’re things are moving forward. I don’t know anything about Norway but you guys have a clean and tidy country. I believe the legislation is the same and that people just don’t care or it’s really not that enforced. Maybe some Norwegians can chime in and say their thoughts on the matter.

Aesthetically, I like the Zard better but understand about the down low point you are talking about.

#28 ·
Hey all,

So, I have finally been able to get the Zard exhaust installed after a long process of replacing the exhaust portion. I really like the sound and the bike feels more alive. I don't believe I will take out the db killers as it has the right sound for me and not too loud. I also believe the exhaust has a better look than stock. It's been a roller coaster to deal with Zard to say the least. There staff has limited English skills which makes the process more difficult.

The issue is that when I took the exhaust to Ducati Copenhagen, they were able to get it installed, but when reviewing the install it seems that they were not able to bolt the Zard exhaust on one of the bolts. Please see pictures. I marked it in red with other pictures of the motorcycle.

Should I accept the install the way it is, or pursue it further and ask either to have the mechanics fix it or have Zard send me another muffler piece?

Please see pictures for better guidance. Let me know if you need picture of the pipe connections to better understand.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system
Font Parallel Slope Auto part Event
Sleeve Finger Wood Denim Glove
Sports equipment Walking shoe Grey Gadget Outdoor shoe
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

#39 ·
@Weiboy718

Glad that the baffle helped a bit.

Exactly. Since my exhaust has the muffler section it has two mounting locations that correspond to the same mounting points as the stock exhaust.

The issue is that when I went to Ducati Copenhagen, the mechanic was not able to use the top mount. He said that the fitment was off and that he was worried that it would flex too much and break. After back and forth emails with Zard, they are confident that there is no fitment issues and the design was made to have a tight fit and as intended. They also say that during quality control they fit the exhaust on a mold and jig to make sure it has the right dimensions before leaving the factory after production and cool down. Additionally, Zard wrote that the metal can handle the constant flex and vibrations and that I shouldn't worry.

I'm now trying to speak with them to understand if it is just a matter of loosening the clamps and bolts and just making it fit and then tighten things back to spec. It's already "installed" so much of the labor has been done already.

Does this make sense to you guys with more motorcycle experience?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.