Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
New to the forum here.
I owned a tourer before and now I have a 2013 Diavel and I am planning a long distance trip of ~2500 mi spread over 10-11 days. For this I am looking for a few things.
1. Quick Release windshield - Does something like this exist for a Diavel? And if it does, is it any better than stock short or Strada windshields?
2. Bags (Tail and side) - Any suggestions on good ones?
3. Tank bag - I am looking at this one (http://www.revzilla....20-gps-tank-bag). Anybody here who has experience with this?

Any suggestions after experience with Diavel on long trips are appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
How fast will you be going?? if you're planning to maintain a cruising speed of +130kph all day long, perhaps the touring windshield would be good; if you'll be going 50-90kph and enjoy the scenery, I'd also just run 'naked'...

Read other topics about the windscreens: depending on the screen and your height, adding a windscreen can do more bad than good (buffeting on your helmet: if that happens, you won't last a whole day in the saddle)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd suggest Tuneboy cruise control.
And make sure you have some tread left on your tyres, depending on your riding style that could be 3/4 of a tyre.

Luggage I have a Ventura rack, can hold a lot in soft bag.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Comfy seat would be high up on my list of must haves as well....I see you own a Chromo, what seat does that version come with? If it's the standard seat, then i would highly recommend buying the strada seat. One of the best mods i've done to date...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't believe anyone makes a quick disconnect windshield, but you could easily take the windshield I have on and off. I have and enjoy the Diavel touring windshield which is smaller than the strada windshield. It does a good job keeping the wind off of my chest and I have no turbulance. I am 5'6" and use the lowered seat. It did significantly increase the wind noise and I now wear ear plugs that I did not need before the windshield.

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
I have the same as Polartek. They a lot of room but you have to play around with the fitting. This is his:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Atlanta to Maine and back last year. Touch over 3,100 miles in 9 days. Barracuda windscreen. DP touring seat, Spider "peak" grips. Kriega US30 on the tail, modified DP tank bag made for a Monster, and cruise control courtesy of Tuneboy.

-Start with a new rear. I did and it was almost shot when I got back. Hour after hour of continuous riding takes its toll on the rear.

-Any tankbag that holds anything is going to block the lower dash. You get used to it.

-I can't say enough about the Kriega, it held everything even with me overpacking by several days and is waterproof so my chromebook and other electronics went in it too. It's also rock solid on the tail even when doing over a ton.

-The Barracuda works great for me. No one can tell you what will work great for you. I think you could get the 'cuda off in less than 20 minutes but I don't think it looks terrible and never tried.

-The cruise control is indeed a God send. While the bike running better with the Tuneboy was nice, the cruise control made it worth the price of admission by itself.

-Remember to remove your wallet from your back pocket when racking up the miles. I didn't on day one and didn't realize it until my right ass cheek was painfully sore the next day. Costly mistake because that soreness lingered on until I was heading back.

The rig:

Better look at the 'cuda:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sonic, good point about the wallet. In fact, putting it up in a front pocket is a good idea even when driving a car/truck. A wallet, especially if it gets thick, tilts the hip if you keep it in the back pocket and can give you lower back and leg uncomfortableness. Also, when it's up front, nobody can easily pick-pocket you

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did 2,400 miles in six days - four days of travel decked out like this. Speeds above 70mph without the touring shield put a lot of wind pressure on my chest.
The touring windshield at those speeds created a lot of wind noise around my helmet. At 5'8", I noticed if I were 2-4" taller that the wind turbulence was greatly reduced.
If I did it again, I would probably get the strada windshield. It was $130 less than the touring shield at Omaha Ducati.
The best riding position for helmet sound was standing up - just smooth air around the helmet and the beautiful hum of the motor behind me. Wish wind noise were that way all the time.
Cold temps and heavy winds are what made my long distance trip brutal. My cw gear could not keep me warm below 50 degrees at speeds above 75mph.
I did not have my jacket liner and I was wearing jeans and wet weather pants to keep my legs warm. It could easily have been more comfortable with better weather or better gear.
Got to figure out how to get smooth air sound at my helmet all the time from standard saddle position.

-Polartek

·
Registered
51 Posts
I second the Kriega; I have two US-20's and they work great. You could put together various different combos to fit your needs. Visit the Kriega website and you can see the variations.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I rode in Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia in December and did 6,000km in 2-3 weeks averaging 500km day on ride days. Weather was extreme starting with snow and finishing in a heat wave.
You don't need much luggage, I rode alone, didn't take my ball gown or tiara and just rinsed things out each night.
I found my tank bag carried less than my handbag does but the back bag is deceptively large.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

Attachments

Reactions: Coop and Stevel63

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If I do long trips it will be 2 up with the wifey. So Rear bags like that won't work. She is very small so I'm a little worried to have her wearing a backpack of any decent size. I guess I can at least make her wear one to carry her makeup. Then at least she'll be forced to pack a little lighter. haha. I know you can get a rear rack but they look like a wart. So I have a bagster tank bag that I'm going to try out and I'm looking for some saddle bags that will carry a little extra without flapping around everywhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jollyrogers,

Maybe you have decided by now, but here's my two cents anyway!

Windshield: haven't tried the Touring, but have the Roadster installed now. The Roadster reduces force on your chest, but does nothing for noise on helmet, or force on neck. I'm 5' 9"

Bags: I used the Dane, model: Anholt. They were superb. Easy to install and strap, and easy to take off. I rode solo. Pictures attached!

Enjoy your trip! (where are you going to?)

Cheers,

Roc

cb1d7c75-91d8-4522-bdd7-fb1684163266

2b6bc832-9ec3-4fda-929d-6d74f3eb77b8

Untitled

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Reactions: 916hoon and Potts
1 - 20 of 93 Posts