Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost Id like to than 916HOON for giving me a few pointers and pics. Thanks bud.

I can say with 100% certainty that the swingarm does NOT need to be removed to change the spring only. You need to work on your back for a bit, but IMO, its easier that removing the entire rear of the bike. I wish I had the time to take some pictures. Went with the K=90 spring. I now have some free sag and loaded sag is around 30mm with 10 clicks of preload. With the stock spring, I had zero free sag, and well over 35mm with the preload near max. Dialed my compression settings down and left the rebound alone. Haven't ridden it yet, but Ill report back soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went the same route, left my bike at the dealer before flying to work. The bike is done now but I'm still at work for the next 4 days so will try it when I come back and pick it up.

Please report back how much difference it made and how you like it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be curious what the dealer charged you. If I had some sort of lift, I could have done it in a couple hours. Would have went quicker, but I had to track down another 12mm allen wrench. (2 needed) Certainly not the easiest job in the world, but not overly difficult.

Went for a short rip and is much improved. Still need to fiddle with dampening some, but it's close. I think the rear suspension is satisfactory for lighter guys, but the front will be to stiff. If I was 150 lbs or so, I would have left the rear alone, and messed with the forks instead.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Did you get a different Ducati spring?

What was your original issue with the suspension? With mine dialed all the way to max soft preload, it's still way too bouncy. If I go over bumps at a fast speed, it doesn't compress quick enough and I get tossed out of my seat. Has the different spring fixed this issue? What was the price?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get the spring from Ducati. There's two optional springs. K=90, and a K=105. I'm around 200lbs, so I went with the 90.
My issue the the rear shock was that it was sprung way too soft. With max period, I would still compress it way too much. Cranking up the compression dampening helped, but now the ride quality sucks. By adding a stiffer spring, I can now crank the preload and compression off. Ride quality is now improved. It's far from perfect, but worth every penny for me.

Spring cost me a little over $200 + $50 for the spring compressors and a 12mm allen key

·
Registered
436 Posts
I did get the spring from Ducati. There's two optional springs. K=90, and a K=105. I'm around 200lbs, so I went with the 90.
My issue the the rear shock was that it was sprung way too soft. With max period, I would still compress it way too much. Cranking up the compression dampening helped, but now the ride quality sucks. By adding a stiffer spring, I can now crank the preload and compression off. Ride quality is now improved. It's far from perfect, but worth every penny for me.

Spring cost me a little over $200 + $50 for the spring compressors and a 12mm allen key
I'm the same weight and have the exact same issue.

What was the part number of the spring?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd be curious what the dealer charged you. If I had some sort of lift, I could have done it in a couple hours. Would have went quicker, but I had to track down another 12mm allen wrench. (2 needed) Certainly not the easiest job in the world, but not overly difficult.

Went for a short rip and is much improved. Still need to fiddle with dampening some, but it's close. I think the rear suspension is satisfactory for lighter guys, but the front will be to stiff. If I was 150 lbs or so, I would have left the rear alone, and messed with the forks instead.
Wife talked to the dealer and told me it was just over $100 USD (local labor is cheap) but the bike went to the dealer for another reason in addition to the spring. Needed them to check the front break as it looks like one of the front disks got warped a little.
Breaks should have been a warranty work.
Don't know what they charged me for and if they charged anything for the breaks, but $100 aint too bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm the same weight and have the exact same issue.

What was the part number of the spring?
Body jewelry Font Jewellery Circle Bangle

Note the price is in CAD, in USD it would be less. The part number is in the bottom left corner.
I think everyone is facing the same issue.
Looks like the stock spring is only good for Asian and possibly Italian riders.

My preload was on the max and it was still bottoming out when riding 2 up. In your previous post you said it was on max soft???
With mine dialed all the way to max soft preload
If that's the case then the rough riding you were experiencing is from the suspension bottoming out. Look at that plastic piece covering the rear wheel on your bike, see any scratches on it or the rub marks on the bottom part of it? That would be from bottoming out.
Wheel Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wood Sunglasses Automotive tire Natural material Rim

To get a comfortable ride quality, the spring preload needs to be set properly (search for the setting the spring preload videos on youtube - they explain) so the spring is in the proper operating range, then after that you set the compression and rebound. With the stock spring compressed all the way (max preload), its operating range was very limited. Hopefully the new spring will fix it.
I will get back home in a few days and see it for myself, can't wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
$100 to do the spring is awesome. If my dealer was close, I would have considered it for that price.

Again, the shock is much improved, but its not perfect. While I was able to back off the compression. I had to increase the rebound. The rebound setting from the softer spring now would return far too quickly with the heavier spring. Current setting on the rebound is 5 clicks out from fully CW and it seems just fine. Still messing with compression, but its on the softer side. Maybe 10 clicks in from fully CCW. Preload is 5-10 clicks in from fully CCW.

On a side note...anyone considering the K=105 spring should really look into a different shock with better valving. There's no way the stock rebound dampening would control that spring.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
This is an excellent discussion. I think it should be pinned.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 48057
Note the price is in CAD, in USD it would be less. The part number is in the bottom left corner.
I think everyone is facing the same issue.
Looks like the stock spring is only good for Asian and possibly Italian riders.

My preload was on the max and it was still bottoming out when riding 2 up. In your previous post you said it was on max soft???
If that's the case then the rough riding you were experiencing is from the suspension bottoming out. Look at that plastic piece covering the rear wheel on your bike, see any scratches on it or the rub marks on the bottom part of it? That would be from bottoming out.
View attachment 48065
View attachment 48073

To get a comfortable ride quality, the spring preload needs to be set properly (search for the setting the spring preload videos on youtube - they explain) so the spring is in the proper operating range, then after that you set the compression and rebound. With the stock spring compressed all the way (max preload), its operating range was very limited. Hopefully the new spring will fix it.
I will get back home in a few days and see it for myself, can't wait.
As badass as this bike is, it clearly wasn't designed with a passenger in mind. That being said, I'd venture a guess that even the k=90 spring is going to be slightly undersprung for two-up duty. (Unless your both tiny) However, as I said before, the stock shocks valving would have a tough time coping with the k=105 spring, and riding solo with that spring would not be ideal.

I think you'll find that that the 90 spring will be adequate. Far better than the stock unit. At least you'll get some adjustability back

·
Registered
149 Posts
As badass as this bike is, it clearly wasn't designed with a passenger in mind. That being said, I'd venture a guess that even the k=90 spring is going to be slightly undersprung for two-up duty. (Unless your both tiny) However, as I said before, the stock shocks valving would have a tough time coping with the k=105 spring, and riding solo with that spring would not be ideal.

I think you'll find that that the 90 spring will be adequate. Far better than the stock unit. At least you'll get some adjustability back
Totally agree! I'm about your weight but my wife is tiny. Still 2 up with loaded panniers the stock spring did OK for the most part. I'm sure the 90 spring will be so much better. I'm guessing riding solo, the preload would be closer to the soft end of it which will give me some room to play with for the extra load.
I also think the 105 would be too much for the solo rider (bit probably ideal for 2 up). I think in the case of a 200 lbs rider, not being heavy enough to compress the spring would become an issue before you notice the poor valving of the shock itself.

I will see how it goes and if I like it enough, if not, I may try YSS rear shock (local Thai brand), which according to my dealer, Diavel riders usually opt for. I was the 1st one to ask to change the spring, lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't ask about the price last time I talked to them, as I was not interested in swapping a whole shock.
I will inquire about the price when I pick up my bike on the 30th.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the 105nm installed and it is 100% better and I am running no preload by myself and 20 with the wife i cant remember what my other settings are. It does not bounce or bottom out like it did before. It was really stiff at first now I have 1000 miles on the spring it has softened up some.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess seeing that I am 6foot7 and 150kg's I should maybe get the 105nm spring?
Or would you guys's suggest that I get a full Ohlins set up?
I have bottom out marks of the tire hitting under my seat also some scrapes on my exhaust from hard cornering..

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess seeing that I am 6foot7 and 150kg's I should maybe get the 105nm spring?
Or would you guys's suggest that I get a full Ohlins set up?
I have bottom out marks of the tire hitting under my seat also some scrapes on my exhaust from hard cornering..
I am also 150kg and the spring made a huge difference. When my shock and forks crap out I'll upgrade to ohlins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The suspension on the Carbon I just purchased is rock hard, & being a hard "stick it in" front end style rider have been reading everything I can find about this issue.

Great forum - by far the best for Diavel specific model.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First and foremost Id like to than 916HOON for giving me a few pointers and pics. Thanks bud.

I can say with 100% certainty that the swingarm does NOT need to be removed to change the spring only. You need to work on your back for a bit, but IMO, its easier that removing the entire rear of the bike. I wish I had the time to take some pictures. Went with the K=90 spring. I now have some free sag and loaded sag is around 30mm with 10 clicks of preload. With the stock spring, I had zero free sag, and well over 35mm with the preload near max. Dialed my compression settings down and left the rebound alone. Haven't ridden it yet, but Ill report back soon.
Hey zakkxx, what is your suspension set up on the front?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.