Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
I replaced the stock rear shock adjuster with the Rizoma part, which made me notice something that I hadn't before, because I've not tried any adjustments yet.

If it's turned fully anti-clockwise, or fully clockwise, it'll tighten up. Anywhere in between it moves like water on glass's - like it's on frictionless bearings - no hint of a click in either direction.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
556 Posts
My rear pre-load knob deffinitely clicks..

·
Registered
758 Posts
I replaced the stock rear shock adjuster with the Rizoma part, which made me notice something that I hadn't before, because I've not tried any adjustments yet.

If it's turned fully anti-clockwise, or fully clockwise, it'll tighten up. Anywhere in between it moves like water on glass's - like it's on frictionless bearings - no hint of a click in either direction.

Is this normal?
Have you lost the little ball bearing which sits on top of a small spring set in the adjuster body? Its very easily missed / falls out. It this that gives you the 'click' as it engages in a slot on the standard knob. I know this because I saw mine drop out, so I was fortunate when I stripped my standard one down to fix a broken bracket.
its not easily seen as its on the side of the 'barrel' about 10 o'clock position on the outer edge of barrel and close to the trellis frame.

·
Registered
758 Posts
At a guess I'd say its a 2-3mm ball similar size to some pedal cycle wheel bearings. And no I'm not taking min apart to measure it !!! I found usng a dob of grease held it in place just enough to allow me to push it down on spring and ease knob on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This thread was the answer to the "WTH does this ball bearing go?!". The dab o' grease method worked splendidly.

I wanted to add one thing that helped me from dropping the bb and having it disappear to the same planet single socks run off to.

I used a relatively powerful magnet and placed it right where the trellis frame meets the sub-frame; under where the pre-load adjuster goes. The magnet will stick to the trellis frame so you won't have to hold it but make sure to put a thin towel or something of the like between the trellis and the magnet to prevent any possible scratches but not over the side of the magnet facing the pre-load adjuster.

As I predicted, first try *slip* but the magnet kept it from running off.

So thanks to all who pointed the way and hope the mag trick helps others keep their balls in the right place.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mine over time doesn't click like it used to, it's not as obvious and is very faint, sometimes can't feel it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts