Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Like most people these days I want the capability of using my iphone, gps and radar / laser detector on my bike but didnt really want it to look too cluttered or aftermarket. Once I realized that MotionX GPS (app) displayed in landscape and not portrait like Mapquest and others I set about installing a waterproof, easily removable and powered from the bike iphone set up.
It was important for it to look factory and clean. The phone can be removed from the case on the bike, or the case as a whole can be slid off. The power cord plug then docks in a female receptacle that is waterproof also.
I chose the mid position for the case as I didnt like the stock position of the tach. I was having trouble hitting the hard limiter as my hearing is a bit duff and I couldnt see it easily (just me).
So I fabricated a bracket (2 parts), wired in a converter using the accessory plug on the LH handle bar and modified the roadster screen bracket to move the screen forward so it wasn't at a big angle. I also wanted to have the tip line up with the leading edge of the scallop in the light housing.
Finished off with a couple of decals and lastly mounted my Cobra iradar under the screen and ontop of the handle bar bracket.
I can post more pics if anyone's interested.

Happy New Year to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks guys. Carr Moto are part of the reason I'm so happy with the whole Ducati experience. Really nice dealership that you can just visit and shhot the breeze with laid back people that aren't pressuring you to buy.

Attachments

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,633 Posts
This is very impressive and interesting, IndyDiavel. Please share as many specifics as you have time and inclination. Personally, I am most interested in the mods to the screen bracket and the bracket you fabbed for the tach display. That is a great solution... much better than the simple shimming I've done.

I don't see the radar detector in your photos. Where is it hiding?

MANY thanks for sharing this info. It is inspiring... and very OEM looking!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
IndyDiavel,
What is the brand of the waterproof case you used for your IPhone? That looks like a nice way to mount a iPhone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Reid,
Look at the 3rd picture (bottom left hand side) of first post. Its hiding under the screen at the bottom. Held on the front with windscreen suction cups and supported at the back. Seems to stay in place even on rough roads.
I've uploaded photos of the bracket mod. Just drilled and counterbored new holes to move the screen forward and fitted the posts with C/Sunk screws. Standard posts have a 10mm offset I think and I went for another dimension to get the angle correct. As I said I think the bike looks better with the tip of the screen lining up with the scallop on the light housing. My preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OhDiavelGirl,
E Bay item number is 380385488205.
It comes with a power source and a handlebar mounting bracket. I shortened the loom so I ended up with this. The secret really is in the mounting bracket I made that simplifies everything. I'm considering making them out of carbon that has the same weave as the bike. If there is enough interest I'll do a run of autoclaved parts. All you'd need to do then is modify the case (you'll see when you look at the item on ebay that I have got rid of the handle).

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great solution, IndyDiavel !! Congrats !!

I got the same waterproof case, mounted on my Triumph Rocket Roadster, attached to the handlebar with the mount it came with.

I wonder if that mount fits the Diavel Handlebar....did you try it? I know it is a less integrated/cosmetic solution, but it requires no modification at all, and it would let me easily switch it from one bike (the Rocket) to the other (the Diavel I just ordered last week). Could you check that out for me,plz?

By the way...two more things for the community:

* I strongly recommend that case/cover....it gives a great protection for the iPhone (shock and water) ..... I dropped accidentally the whole thing from the Bike at about 160 Kms/h (my fault, not the hardware's), and the iPhone survived, scratch-free. I had to buy a new case/cover though ;-)

* There is plenty of iPhone apps for motorcycle riding:
-GPS/Navigation solutions (I use Copilot Live Europe.....great app....worked perfectly this summer on my trip across Spain-France-Belgium-Netherlands). No need of installing Tom-Tom alikes on the bike
-Speed trap locator (not detector, of course) like Avertinoo, iCoyote, etc
-GPS speed apps, etc,

Best regards from Spain

·
Registered
414 Posts
* There is plenty of iPhone apps for motorcycle riding:
-GPS/Navigation solutions (I use Copilot Live Europe.....great app....worked perfectly this summer on my trip across Spain-France-Belgium-Netherlands). No need of installing Tom-Tom alikes on the bike
-Speed trap locator (not detector, of course) like Avertinoo, iCoyote, etc
-GPS speed apps, etc,
IndyDiavel, can you comment on which apps you find useful on the bike?
Also, how do you operate the phone when wearing riding gloves? Do you just set-and-forget?

-Matt

·
Registered
520 Posts
Guys, let me try to help you on these:

1º) During the summer, and only for casual/urban/beach/short rides, I use fingerless gloves, so there is no problem operating the touchscreen iPhone.
With regular gloves, you have to set the specific app before starting the ride. (even though I know there are some gloves that actually work with capacitive screens...icon and Alpinestars have 'em)

Besides that, there is a way you CAN operate the phone without touching it .....through voice control (I have a CARDO G4 installed on my helmets, which is as you might know a bluetooth hands-free device). With the iPhone you can make and answer calls, play and control the music, and even send text messages, etc, just using your voice, and without touching the screen (though sending an reading messages right now only with Siri and the iPhone 4S)

2º) About useful apps for us riders, I am using the following 6 apps (the first 6 starting at the top left):

Radares (radar/speed trap locator)

Speed Box (GPS/altitude)

GPS Speed (same thing)

Copilot Live Europe (Full Navigation System)

Avertinoo (Radar/speed trap locator)

iCoyote (radar/speed trap locator)

I have tried much more apps, but these 6 are the best I found so far......

Except the Navigation app (Copilot Live), the rest of the apps are very cheap (0,99$ or so)

hope I helped.

Best regards

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Very nice mate... just what I was thinking of doing over time. Do you have any plans on making more brackets? I'm sure others would be interested in a similar setup

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You could probably also glue a stylus tip to the index or middle finger of your left glove. I've seen winter gloves designed like that for smart phones, so you don't have to take off your gloves.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Not a bad idea General... just need to make sure it's an iPhone-suitable stylus so that it works with the capacitive touch screen

1 - 20 of 243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.