Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
After watching so many riding video links while doing physical therapy to get back to riding it finally dawned on me how pro riders slide on their backsides when they go down. This seems the best possible way to reduce injury, and my current leather chaps will do nothing to protect my bum. A horrible accident was told to me where the guy went down, slide to reduce injury but he was in chaps and now has to have rectum reconstruction surgeries. I'm convinced and ready to buy.

My question is due to my complete ignorance to name brands, and if they really matter and worth the extra money. If you wear proper riding pants, please do give me your thoughts. I'm looking for abrasion protection (sliding) as well as armor protection inside of the pants. A zip out liner would be gravy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use Bull-it and Draggin Jeans. I have 3 pair of Draggin and one pair of Bull-it. My wife uses Draggins and has 3 pair I think.

Both suffer from fading badly because I'm on the bike virtually every day in a sunny climate. We ride all year round.

I redyed one pair of Draggins but the dye faded in about 4 months.

Have not had to test the Kevlar in them by sliding in them (touch wood) but nice to know they are on at all times on my bikes.

Draggins are good for a 6 second slide from memory. Also not as hot in summer as leather pants or riding leathers. No knee pads just Kevlar internals that are permanently stitched in.

Don't ever expose Kevlar to UV light, when drying.. Denatures its properties, fast!

71rider (Anthony)

·
Esquire
3,039 Posts
I use kevlar reinforced jeans with BOHN armour thin mesh protective pants underneath for casual rides, they offer padded protection around the sweet stuff and knee shin protection too. When picking it up a notch or ever get my ass on the track I wear Dainese delta pro 2. They zip together to my jacket and provide awesome protection if needed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
draggin jeans here ,bohn mesh with armor looks like it may stay in place better in a crash . it will be my next gear purchase .it 's hard to beat leather and armor but you feel kinda goofy at the store or dairy queen lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I love that site. Second to JakeWIlson.com mainly because they sponsor my events but their customer service is excellent. Will send out your replacement product before they even get the original back. I'm just hoping to hear from more riders what they've found to work best for them. Got my husband to buy a pair of Rev-it (sp?) that I adore. I live in the middle of no where so will have to buy online, try them on, send back, get different sizes, etc...Sucks being so small. Took me nine times buying leather jackets just to send back for not fitting properly before I found one that worked. Hoping to reduce that on the pants by narrowing it down to just a few options as I'm unsure of textile, leather or a combo of both and the trade-off of protection versus comfort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Throttle Girl,
Let me speak from experience. I had an accident in 1998 on a Honda CBR900RR. I impacted the ground at just under 80 mph. I went down on my right side and hit so hard that it cracked my AGV helmet open and the bike and I both went over a cliff and I landed in some trees in the mountains. I was bruised from my ankle all the way to my neck, totaled my bike, but walked away with not a scratch. I could not sleep on my right side for three months. I wear full leathers when I ride, no jeans will protect you as well as leather. I wear Dianese leathers and that is what saved my skin. If you really are concerned get fitted for a good set of leathers, you will be well protected and still look good while you are riding. This is just my .02

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
100% agree with this man ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great response, thanks for sharing. I was hoping to find armor as well, but I'm starting to think that's the holy grail....especially in women's pants. The other thing that is hard is to find good quality, thick leather in women's riding apparel...suppose women are more picky about softness and comfortable flexibility, but I sure like a bit thicker than most have...Mind me asking the brand you wear?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wear Ducati/Dainese Company leather pants when it is cooler and Dainese Air Frame textile pants when it is warmer.

Both zip together with Dainese jackets, of which I have a leather and textile one of each of those too.

Got the Wave G2 back protector which I can switch between jackets.

Maybe not the cheapest stuff but I have no complaints with the quality so I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My gf just bought the Rev'it Xena Lady outfit: jacket, pants and gloves. Looks sporty, no fluo colours, feels comfy and should be good quality.

At FC-moto website (it is in Germany but you also get English translations) there is also a section for women's gear of several brands. Perhaps you can use that for inspiration.... (Or even order from there directly)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go here and get educated! Anthony has very informative videos.. lots of choice and prices to fit all budgets:

http://www.revzilla.com and customer service second to none. If the size isn't right, they pay the return shipping too.

There's a Women's section with gear cut for women, not just men's sizes and shapes.

http://www.revzilla.com/womens-pants
+1

Revzilla has been a great source. i have spent the last few days trying to decide which riding pants to buy. the videos of each pant have been great to see a detailed breakdown. Was looking for a jeans type material with armor. Ended on a pair that is cordura (sp?) and full kevlar lining. apparently the cordura holds up in a slide longer than denim. Waiting on delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wear Dianese, they have stores in California. I got sized and ordered directly from them. This is probably the best quality leathers on the market. Also Alpinestar are excellent as well, I just prefer Dianese. They fit well and it is thick leather. They have armor and knee pucks. Their jackets have an area for a back protector. They are expensive,but what is your body worth to you. I look at leathers the same way I look at helmets. What is your head worth? Some riders who wear a skull cap, or half helmet tells me they don't think to much of their heads. Maybe a lack of intelligence. I personally would like to be around for the next sunrise. Again just my .02

·
Registered
81 Posts
If going for the denim look, I have been very impressed with the Protekt jeans (with inserts) from Aerostich... http://www.aerostich...tekt-jeans.html

The all-around best built and best looking jeans are from Rokker. Crazy expensive, but they are at the top of their class. Revzilla sells these, but pay attention to the style descriptions -- the Original and some of the Raw styles fit exactly like Levi's 501s; the Red Selvage styles are cut slimmer... but the Red Selvage Classics are like the 501s. Super tough, comfortable, water repelling, no rivets to scratch yr paint. Again, if price is not the problem! http://www.therokker.../web/?lang=en#1
http://www.revzilla....eatured&tab=all

I like the ballistic riding pants from Rev'it, but they are "European Cut", meaning a bit on the slim side. For me. http://www.revitusa....n-us/#/products

I Love the riding pants from Klim. Great fit and great construction. Expensive but worth it. I use the Latitude pants, and I am interested in their new K Fifty 1 armored jeans. Top flight company. Top tier pricing. "You get what you pay for."
http://www.klim.com/K-Fifty-1-Jean-3057-000.html#rw-reviews

But in the end, nothing is better than leather. Ask anyone who races.

Reactions: Throttle Girl

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great, great feedback and thanks for all of the links. I'm pretty convinced of the leather or leather mixed with another material. I've just seen what pavement does to leather and want that level of protection. I've got three pairs, all different manufactures picked out. Am thinking I'll most likely have to order them all to compare fits. I'm small, but curvy so usually it they fit in the thigh they're gapping at the waist (or when tightened at the waist create considerable bulk). If they fit in the waist they're way too light in the hips/thighs. Will be expensive, but I can send back the ones that don't work...hopefully one of the three will be perfect.

Will update my conclusions for any other petite gal who happens onto this thread as it's tricky business getting properly fitted, protective gear for a smaller lady rider.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Would it be crossing the line to ask you to post pics with you wearing what you decide on? You know - a picture is worth a thousand words and we want to to save time by not typing all that! ;-)

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I hear ya TG...All my poor knee had for crash protection was a pair of cargo pocket Wrangler slacks from Walmart.
In terms of good riding pants, I've searched and found tons of different brand/model types, different materials they're all made from, prices from dirt cheap, many hundreds $$$$...Please keep me posted what you buy and your thoughts about it.
Best butt save wishes my dear!

After watching so many riding video links while doing physical therapy to get back to riding it finally dawned on me how pro riders slide on their backsides when they go down. This seems the best possible way to reduce injury, and my current leather chaps will do nothing to protect my bum. A horrible accident was told to me where the guy went down, slide to reduce injury but he was in chaps and now has to have rectum reconstruction surgeries. I'm convinced and ready to buy.

My question is due to my complete ignorance to name brands, and if they really matter and worth the extra money. If you wear proper riding pants, please do give me your thoughts. I'm looking for abrasion protection (sliding) as well as armor protection inside of the pants. A zip out liner would be gravy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure - I'll snap pics of all three and give a brief summary of quality, protection and price.

I've got to get shot full of steroids again this Friday and they're injecting something into my muscles so hopefully I can ride again and pull of my 1,000 mile event in four weeks. I can do 20 miles now, so have some serious physical therapy to do. As long as that's looking good I'll go ahead and invest the $1,500 total to buy all three pairs and send back what doesn't work in about a week or so. Painful to have such a sexy bike with new Termi's and have my body refuse to cooperate and ride! But regardless, it's just silly for any of use to wear plain jeans and chaps. Butts are so important!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts