Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^^Probably best bet Bud is to is to purchase the plan through your stealership. They all don't sell/support the same policy.
Just read the fine print, especially the exclusions page-what is and not covered, ...not all are the same in terms of length of coverage, mileage limits, amount of occurrences, deductible, and so forth.

My dealer honored RPM1 Extended Warranty policy at time of bike sale for $1300 or $1600 can't remember...
5 years, unlimited miles, unlimited occurrences, 0 deductible. Just sign, and ride!
To me, it sounded too good to be true, since I knew beforehand bike would be a daily rider, when it ain't rainin. So I bit for it, and glad I did.

It's even transferable if I ever sell it...Buyer pays only 50 bucks transfer fee.
They even replaced the rear warped brake rotor, which the OEM factory warranty dosn't even cover, considered a wear item. Although everything else OEM warranty considered "Wear Item" was consistent w/RPM1 policy.
However, the rear shock assembly isn't covered under RPM1 policy, but everything else within the swing arm assmbly is...Go figure that one out.

Anyways, after 3 unscheduled repair visits since extended warranty kicked in...I'm over $4K in the black so far, and good thru 8/2021. How sweet it is!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
2011 Red with 16500 miles - Live in Kentucky - bought at MotoCorsa in Portland rode back then out to Maine - Diavel coast to coast no problems. Tire wear extreme on rear and service is way too
costly but bike has great sound and acceleration. Switched seat to Corbin Dual saddle much more comfortable than stock pincher. Never did the Termi switch as bike is loud enough stock.
If front fork leaks first attempt clear the seals with the photo film or Seal Mate. The angle of the forks allows grit and bugs to get under seals fairly easily - the reason old bikes had "gators".
Care needs to be taken with license plate assembly and thread lock tight. The chain adjustment is superior. The electronics are superior. The key fob does have occasional issues but the override
works and holding key close to bars usually works fine. Fun bike to ride, cruise or tour with. Keep the revs up as with the other Ducs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jan 2012 68000km just had new heads fitted coolant leak in exhaust ports .!! Some of the late 1198 and early Diavels had crap heads.
Ducati only charged $600 each ,had correct coolant etc.
back on the road now . The internals of the engine bore etc was like new , .
Another 60K left in it yet.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
July 2011 Carbon red - full ohlins for and rear - loads of goodies and still loving it - never going to get rid !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool! How many Kilometers? Don't be shy now?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just past year 2 and plan to ride for another 5 as I just bought an extended warranty. Costly but so are repairs.
Spunout...You got the extended within ducati's warranty period or after expiration and if so who is the extended warranty company? Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Love my 2014 modified Strada still.
Dont need anything or want anything else , , yet. LOL

·
Registered
8,461 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
@ enrico I purchased my extended warranty just as my factory coverage was expiring. This was offered by my dealer and the coverage is through Cornerstone. I got a bumper to bumper warranty which covers everything the manufacturer covers on under their warranty period.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
@ enrico I purchased my extended warranty just as my factory coverage was expiring. This was offered by my dealer and the coverage is through Cornerstone. I got a bumper to bumper warranty which covers everything the manufacturer covers on under their warranty period.
Really? Really? The contract is as simple as that? No exclusions, no definitions? Just simply says it duplicates the Ducati warranty? Is this in writing, or is it just what the guy said who sold it to you? Or maybe it 'covers' everything, but perhaps not in the ways you might expect?

Excuse me for seriously doubting this, but the Cornerstone contracts that I've seen are packed full of exclusionary language and documentary/procedural requirements that may be difficult to follow and that give them all sorts of opportunities to deny claims.

Did you buy some new product from them that does away with all this? If so, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^+1. Reid's spot on...
Not all extended warranties are created equal.

READ EXCLUSION PAGE CAREFULLY!!!

I'm w/RPM1 my stealership sold at time of bike sale 08/2014 for $1300.00
Diamond coverage...5 years, 0 deductible, unlimited occurrences,.
Everything is covered, electrical/mechanical except 'wear' items, and rear mono shock assmbly..
If it sounds too good to be true, it's NOT!!!
Riding buddy once told me...Rex when that extended warranty expires, you need to sell that Bitch!!!

33k miles on bike...3 unscheduled repair visits so far...+$4000 in the black right now...Most costly was 1st visit...replaced main wiring harness. $1700 labor. $1400 for harness...$3100.00 Sign and ride!!!!
I'm good till 08/2021.

BTW, update, Stealership ordered a new fuel sensor for bike. It arrived.
Service adviser said bring it on in at my convenience. Call day before to set up appointment for morning. It'll be ready that day. So this will be my 4th unscheduled repair visit.

IMO, Method of Operation with extended warranty companies in terms of profit margins.

Where they win....Majority of consumers never place a claim on product for a myriad of reasons...It's hardly used, it actually functions throughout the policy term, they forget/misplace the policy contract, etc. etc.

Where they lose...However, consumers who fully utilize the product during policy period, are who have the best advantage.
Case in point...Specifically stated...AllTaxi/Uber/Commercial use vehicles are not covered...Only personal/recreational use only. What's that tell us????????????

·
Registered
245 Posts
$0 deductible and this covers; "all components/parts covered during the manufacturers original warranty"
Exclusions are maintenance items, glass & bodywork, aftermarket accessories.

I used to work in the automotive extended warranty business. There are several types of warranties, bumper to bumper or named perils. Bumper to bumper cost more but are worth it as it covers more. Named perils only lists covered item and will have many more exclusions. A bumper to bumper warranty has more limitations as if/when you can purchase it, usually related to KM and time of ownership. Read what you are purchasing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I always buy extended warranties, and always had good luck with them and usually made out on my cars and trucks with them .
This is the first Motorcycle one I ever bought because I do my own work, old school, but this bike didnt seem garage mechanic friendly when I bought it.. LOL

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I always buy extended warranties, and always had good luck with them and usually made out on my cars and trucks with them .
This is the first Motorcycle one I ever bought because I do my own work, old school, but this bike didnt seem garage mechanic friendly when I bought it.. LOL

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
$0 deductible and this covers; "all components/parts covered during the manufacturers original warranty"
Exclusions are maintenance items, glass & bodywork, aftermarket accessories.

I used to work in the automotive extended warranty business. There are several types of warranties, bumper to bumper or named perils. Bumper to bumper cost more but are worth it as it covers more. Named perils only lists covered item and will have many more exclusions. A bumper to bumper warranty has more limitations as if/when you can purchase it, usually related to KM and time of ownership. Read what you are purchasing.
That's what I think I have...Bumper to bumper coverage,
until I read mono shock assmbly isn't covered...That's a wear item or maintenance part?

Really doesn't matter to me. I got a spare.
Once I read that...found a minty pre-owned mono shock assmbly from wrecked Diavel off Ebay for 200 bucks.
OEM MSRP is like $2300!!!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm finding little problems add up in diagnostic time and money expense. I'm lucky to have two dealerships nearby. My EverRed extended warranty service contract for my out of warranty 2013 is paying for itself. Last item was a burned out connector on the headlamp wire. Bam, $250 in diagnosis, labor and parts fully covered. Sure, if I was handy I could do it myself, but time, expertise, tools and desire are lacking. Besides if it breaks again, it's on them. Now my fob no matter how many new batteries replaced has failed. They have scheduled 2 hours for diagnosis and have seen many cases where the system fails and has to be replaced. Expensive repair. It too will be fully covered. So for me it has worked out.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Still have my modified 2014 Strada and still enjoy it and do not see a new upgrade bike ,,, as of now ;)

21 - 40 of 80 Posts