Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thank you for accepting me into the community. I am from Toronto, Canada and unlike most other members, I am actually a would be owner of this beautiful machine. I have 3 other beauties in my garage and after doing months of researching and test riding, I concluded that the Devil must be added to my collection. Most recently I test rode the HD Sportster S and Triumph Rocket 3 but neither excited me more than the Diavel. And so I decided to join this forum to get to know him before I commit to him. So I have some questions and would really appreciate if you guys can help in making my final decision.

1) I personally like the XDS and most likely will get this version over the standard, albeit with mid-set pegs. Are the Diavel air scoops functional then, if there is no difference in performance?

2) Is there any chance Ducati will introduce a V4 Diavel? Any point waiting?

3) Are there any pros or cons of choosing XDS over a Diavel other than aesthetics and geometry?

4) Has there been any significant changes between the XDS models over the years?

Thanks in advance guys. I really look forward to owning the beast and being part of this community for years to come.

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
6 Posts
Hi stsouldier,
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind sharing, what are the three other motorcycles in your garage?

I’ll answer the questions I have the answers to:
1) There is no function other than the aesthetics to the 1260’s air scoops. As can be seen from attached spare parts catalogue screenshot, the actual intake is rather small.
Product Human body Organism Font Mode of transport

Edit: One function, albeit an indirect one, is that they provide wind protection and redirect airflow away from rider's body. The front end of the 1260 has unexpectedly good wind protection for a naked. Almost all of the flies I catch riding are on the shoulders and helmet (I'm 182 cm).

Regarding the test rides, could you describe your thoughts on the XDiavel, Diavel and Triumph Rocket 3?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi stsouldier,
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind sharing, what are the three other motorcycles in your garage?

I’ll answer the questions I have the answers to:
1) There is no function other than the aesthetics to the 1260’s air scoops. As can be seen from attached spare parts catalogue screenshot, the actual intake is rather small.
View attachment 111532
Edit: One function, albeit an indirect one, is that they provide wind protection and redirect airflow away from rider's body. The front end of the 1260 has unexpectedly good wind protection for a naked. Almost all of the flies I catch riding are on the shoulders and helmet (I'm 182 cm).

Regarding the test rides, could you describe your thoughts on the XDiavel, Diavel and Triumph Rocket 3?
Thanks for answering some of my questions, especially regarding air scoops. I always wondered.

You asked me about my bikes. I currently own a Honda Rune, Harley-Davidson V-Rod Muscle and MV Agusta F4RR. I love all 3 of them for different reasons and I feel they're special. The XDS will either replace my V-Rod or will be added to the colleczione. :)

I test rode many bikes this year but here are my thoughts on the two that I thought were genuine competitors.

Triumph Rocket 3: To be honest, I was leaning towards this one over the XDiavel until I rode it. It looks like a million bucks and for such a beast of a bike, it is extremely easy to get along with. But therein lies the problem. It is almost too smooth and too docile to the point where it has no character whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, it handles like a dream and I was extremely impressed with it's overall refinements, electronics and build quality. But the heart, the engine just didn't excite me enough. A 2500cc engine should scare you a little bit when you pin it. It didn't. And just like there is no replacement for displacement, you can't take flight if it's not light.

Harley-Davidson Sportster S: I was particularly excited to ride this because I own a V-Rod Muscle and I expected this one to be a worthy replacement after the Milwaukee 8 based offerings such as the Fat-Bob and FXDR miserably failed to impress. The Sportster's engine seems to be "derived" from V-Rod's engine and the bike is about 100 lbs lighter so I expected fireworks. Mmmm...... no. In Sport mode, the bike pulls hard and that is it's one trick. After about 15 mins on the bike, I started to feel very uncomfortable. The seat has no back support to hold you in place and a 2x4 block of wood has more suspension travel than the Sportster's rear shock. With the optional mid-controls, I'm sure it's much more comfortable. The fat front tire resists leans into corners but that shouldn't be an issue for most Harley owners. Their definition of a corner is a corner store for cigarettes or the bar at the corner of X av. and Y blvd. To be fair, if I wasn't coming off of a V-Rod, I would have been more impressed with the Sportster. But the V-Rod has a lot more soul, it pulls like a freight train and the engine is still the best engine Harley (and Porsche) ever conjured.

Other bikes I rode this year were, Ducati Panigale V4, HD Fatbob, HD Livewire and Indian Scout Bobber. Sorry for such a long post. Please feel free to ask me any other questions that you guys may have.

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply and detailed insight into the test rides.

Edit: Forgot to say that it's a nice set of motorcycles you got there :cool: XDS should fit right in!

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer the remainig questions.
1) I personally like the XDS and most likely will get this version over the standard, albeit with mid-set pegs. Are the Diavel air scoops functional then, if there is no difference in performance?

2) Is there any chance Ducati will introduce a V4 Diavel? Any point waiting?

3) Are there any pros or cons of choosing XDS over a Diavel other than aesthetics and geometry?

4) Has there been any significant changes between the XDS models over the years?

Thanks in advance guys. I really look forward to owning the beast and being part of this community for years to come.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome aboard !!

I got my XDS two months ago and I love it. I have ridden a friend's V-Rod, and I was also excited about HD finally producing a Sportster that was actually sporty. But I hate the looks, and was so angry they DE-tuned it compared to the PanAmerica the engine was developed for. So the Sportster was out........

I wanted something fast that would wail like a banshee as it crossed a 5-digit redline, and while we're barely at 5 digits, the XDS delivers in spades. Handling is amazing too.

Honestly, the XDiavel is the only bike I found that had sportsbike engine and handling, but is comfortable enough to ride all day. After I put the Aella handlebars on it, I rode the Twisted Sisters and back home - 520 miles - in a single day. I could've done it again the next day. It is amazing how comfortable it is.

Can't beat it for comfort + sport.

S vs Regular - S has better shock and wheels. The S package costs 20% more new, but they're hardly more expensive on the used market, so go for the S - plenty of them available. But far more importantly, get one that has the Termi exhaust on it already. Again, hardly any difference in price, but it makes all the difference in the world. You HAVE to have the Termis :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome aboard !!

I got my XDS two months ago and I love it. I have ridden a friend's V-Rod, and I was also excited about HD finally producing a Sportster that was actually sporty. But I hate the looks, and was so angry they DE-tuned it compared to the PanAmerica the engine was developed for. So the Sportster was out........

I wanted something fast that would wail like a banshee as it crossed a 5-digit redline, and while we're barely at 5 digits, the XDS delivers in spades. Handling is amazing too.

Honestly, the XDiavel is the only bike I found that had sportsbike engine and handling, but is comfortable enough to ride all day. After I put the Aella handlebars on it, I rode the Twisted Sisters and back home - 520 miles - in a single day. I could've done it again the next day. It is amazing how comfortable it is.

Can't beat it for comfort + sport.

S vs Regular - S has better shock and wheels. The S package costs 20% more new, but they're hardly more expensive on the used market, so go for the S - plenty of them available. But far more importantly, get one that has the Termi exhaust on it already. Again, hardly any difference in price, but it makes all the difference in the world. You HAVE to have the Termis :)
No idea where Twisted Sisters live but sounds like it'd be a blast to ride them. Thanks for the tips. I am also leaning towards a used XDS with Termis. Termis are a must on any Ducati IMO.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I’m just a few provinces away and welcome to the site!! Your review on the rocket 3 is what I thought it would be. Not being biased but the Xdiavel is definitely the meaning of a power cruiser. Nothing else compares and has always put a smile on my face every time I ride mine.
This is what my XD looked like this riding season. With the mid controls(ducabike) ride and handling is alot better compared to front forward IMO. But would be perfect with handlebars that is closer to the body. Termi’s is a must for this bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m just a few provinces away and welcome to the site!! Your review on the rocket 3 is what I thought it would be. Not being biased but the Xdiavel is definitely the meaning of a power cruiser. Nothing else compares and has always put a smile on my face every time I ride mine.
This is what my XD looked like this riding season. With the mid controls(ducabike) ride and handling is alot better compared to front forward IMO. But would be perfect with handlebars that is closer to the body. Termi’s is a must for this bike

Wow what a Beauty and a Beast. This is exactly how I would like to set mine up. Interesting point on the handlebars. I was wondering the same thing. My Rune has a similar setup with mid controls and forward biased handlebars. While I always miss pullback bars on the long stretches of roads, I believe the forward bars help in transferring weight to the front of the bike while cornering. What are your thoughts on it? And I believe Ducati offers 3 different bar risers on the XDS?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know there are a few variations. There is a handlebar that is closer to the body. Also you can change the seats to either a higher or lower position. There is an aftermarket handlebar you can buy from AELLA. There are a few members that have this installed and has said great things about it. You have the option of changing the position of the handlebar to your liking. Like any Ducati parts it ain’t cheap but worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Aella bars are great, but they are insanely expensive. That's why you need the Termi's on it already. :)

Interesting that you have a Rune. My brother-in-law told me about them or I would have never heard of them before. Amazing bike. I have never seen a real one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Aella bars are great, but they are insanely expensive. That's why you need the Termi's on it already. :)

Interesting that you have a Rune. My brother-in-law told me about them or I would have never heard of them before. Amazing bike. I have never seen a real one.
They are museum pieces. I have never seen another one on the road either. But they are incredible to ride even today after 17 years.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Tire Automotive lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts