Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all in the forum. I am brand new to bikes, having only driven scooters for the last year or so. I have spent the last few years as an American pilot, a part time helicopter pilot, racing formula cars in SCCA and doing about any other pursuit that burns dinosaurs. Finally decided to get into bikes. REALLY fell in love with the Diavel and have decided to buy a 2011 Red Carbon one from Ducati Dallas. I am, of course, taking the driving courses to get certified and will be utilizing the bike for the first year as such:

a. Day time only
b. Dry only
c. No commuter time driving
d. URBAN MODE ONLY

Comments?

Thanks guys!

Mark Wyant
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
599 Posts
A: Summer night riding is awesome
B: You will get wet when you least expect it
C: Weekends only???
D: Please, PLEASE put it in sport mode... You will forget all about Urban mode.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A: Summer night riding is awesome
B: You will get wet when you least expect it
C: Weekends only???
D: Please, PLEASE put it in sport mode... You will forget all about Urban mode.

Welcome to the forums!
OK I forgot about nighttime SUMMER driving. Add that to the list. Weekends only? Probably for a while as I travel quite extensively and probably won't be around the bike much during the week/

Not sure about sport mode as a newbie, prefer to bite off in small pieces. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots. I'm a rather old pilot....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Mark and yes welcome to the DF...Hmmm no motorcycle riding experience and straight on to a Diavel. yes I'd leave the Sport mod for a while and probably jump on a freeway and put a few hundred Klms on the clock just getting used to it. Your other riding experience will mean you know how to stay upright on two but manual gear changes (not to mention the horse power output) make a big diff. any riding is good, riding on DD is excellent! but as a rider with a few years & bikes behind me, I respect the power of the DD a great deal.
Good luck with your purchase. cheers from down under. Moz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mark and yes welcome to the DF...Hmmm no motorcycle riding experience and straight on to a Diavel. yes I'd leave the Sport mod for a while and probably jump on a freeway and put a few hundred Klms on the clock just getting used to it. Your other riding experience will mean you know how to stay upright on two but manual gear changes (not to mention the horse power output) make a big diff. any riding is good, riding on DD is excellent! but as a rider with a few years & bikes behind me, I respect the power of the DD a great deal.
Good luck with your purchase. cheers from down under. Moz
Thanks! Believe me I'm quite respectful of my inexperience AND the power of the DD but I am just as certain of my ability to "tone down" my impulses to push the bike or to put myself in a bad situation. Limiting my use of the bikes power as well as trying to avoid (but never completely, no one can do that) other idiots on the road will require quite an effort. I figure if I can fly a Citation jet by myself I can do this, but I know how different those two activities are. Thanks for the encouragement!

Mark

·
Registered
880 Posts
You're gonna need protection: Get frame and axle sliders for the bike, armored jacket, armored pants, armored gloves, leather boots, & full-face helmet for you. AAA (Triple A) WITH MOTORCYCLE COVERAGE (they have different levels so ASK) just in case.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're gonna need protection: Get frame and axle sliders for the bike, armored jacket, armored pants, armored gloves, leather boots, & full-face helmet for you. AAA (Triple A) WITH MOTORCYCLE COVERAGE (they have different levels so ASK) just in case.

Oh, and welcome!
Thanks I will take your suggestions. I already have an Arai full face helmet. Is the apparel by Ducati good stuff? I had already picked out most of it LOL...

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you have a good buy on the diavel grab it, but I think it is a lot of bike even being very respectful of it. I would suggested finding a very small bike to go with it. And spend most of the first year on the small bike. It's just something that you really should do for your own safety. Not to mention if the small bike goes down you feel much less heartache at the damage. This of course is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyone has an opinion as you can clearly see. Ultimately it's up to the person and how you ride/live your life/drive your car/etc.............. In other words I have seen SOOOOO many people say, "Hey how fast is this motorcycle or that motorcycle?" If that's your frame of mind then don't ride, PLEASE!!!! As I hear you say though you are an older guy. The Diavel is only my second bike. I started out on a Street Triple R and rode it for a few months then switched to this. (Bought mine at Eurosport in Fort Worth. I assume you are going to AMS Dallas?) I avoid bad weather, etc.... since I work from home and don't have to travel anywhere I don't want to on my bike. I say get it if you love it. Respect it and any other bike. Gear up, take it easy, but have fun. You didn't make it this long flying by being an idiot. I have flown too and was shocked at how many of the guys who were pilots that shouldn't have been pilots because they were all about HIGH risk and the adrenaline rush. (Scary that they are the ones flying the airlines.....) I always had the same approach to flying as to riding, there's always another day. No need to do it in bad weather (if you don't have to), if you don't feel good, etc......... Live to do it another day. Anyhow, you will definitely get a lot of people that will tell you don't get this for a first bike. It definitely handles different from other bikes due to the large rear end (you have to muscle it more), but don't let that stop you. Take it slow, take the classes, take it slow some more, and just get as much time as you can in areas you are comfortable driving. (In other words I would avoid the freeways, etc.... until you are REALLY ready.) I actually LOVE tooling up and down 35 and 20 now.
Good luck and you will ultimately LOVE the bike!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has an opinion as you can clearly see. Ultimately it's up to the person and how you ride/live your life/drive your car/etc.............. In other words I have seen SOOOOO many people say, "Hey how fast is this motorcycle or that motorcycle?" If that's your frame of mind then don't ride, PLEASE!!!! As I hear you say though you are an older guy. The Diavel is only my second bike. I started out on a Street Triple R and rode it for a few months then switched to this. (Bought mine at Eurosport in Fort Worth. I assume you are going to AMS Dallas?) I avoid bad weather, etc.... since I work from home and don't have to travel anywhere I don't want to on my bike. I say get it if you love it. Respect it and any other bike. Gear up, take it easy, but have fun. You didn't make it this long flying by being an idiot. I have flown too and was shocked at how many of the guys who were pilots that shouldn't have been pilots because they were all about HIGH risk and the adrenaline rush. (Scary that they are the ones flying the airlines.....) I always had the same approach to flying as to riding, there's always another day. No need to do it in bad weather (if you don't have to), if you don't feel good, etc......... Live to do it another day. Anyhow, you will definitely get a lot of people that will tell you don't get this for a first bike. It definitely handles different from other bikes due to the large rear end (you have to muscle it more), but don't let that stop you. Take it slow, take the classes, take it slow some more, and just get as much time as you can in areas you are comfortable driving. (In other words I would avoid the freeways, etc.... until you are REALLY ready.) I actually LOVE tooling up and down 35 and 20 now.
Good luck and you will ultimately LOVE the bike!!!!!!!
Thanks! You are correct, flying is another business that will get the fool killed quick also! (BTW I am one of those guys that flew for the airlines lol). I normally have never been interested in bikes, but the combination of the Diavels looks and the challenge of mastering another skill has turned my head toward them. I plan on taking not only the beginner course, but once I have my bike utilize the more advanced track courses as my skill permits ( I am a former member of Motorsport Ranch and I believe they hold some of those classes there). I respect others opinions as to me biting off more than I can chew, but I am probably going to go against them and go on and purchase this bike. And you are correct, I will treat it like I did when I first started flying 40 years ago,,, if the weather is great - you go, if it is the least bit iffy I will sit and polish it in the hangar! Thanks again!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here goes: Its a great bike. You're gonna fall in love with the diavel.
by the profile you mentioned, your're used to speed and adrenaline but you do not have large size Motorcycle experience.... I think you'll do great...but my advice is:

1. Be respectful since its got loads of torque and power and its agile as well (Think of a middleweight UFC fighter).
2. Stick to urban the first week to really adapt to its size and behavior (because once you go to SPORT you'll never want to go back except for rain/slippery weird surface).
3. Do not disable the DTC, i'd keep it between 3 thru 6 for a large period until you understand better the sensibility differences in each stage (use 8 at adverse conditions), reduce levels in a manageable progression. dont rush it, the technology is great!
4. Do not depend on the DTC to feel or be in control....
5. its has great ABS (do not switch it off as well since the brakes have great modulation but are fierce!!! develop well your sensibility).

Hey...Enjoy the ride, its a hell of a machine (literally hehehehe)

cheers.
0.2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're going to scare the crap out of your instructor, showing up for a beginner class on a DD...! Oh my!

Good luck. Be a sponge. Can't say I don't agree with others that you might want to pick up a lower-level bike to learn on, even if just for a few months...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The motorcycle safety courses here (in Oregon) provide a 250cc motorcycle or a scooter. I would highly encourage using the low-powered bike if the class provides them.
Yes they provide a small motorcycle for the course I am taking which I will use (but it would be funny to see the instructors face if I showed up on the Diavel lol)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Hello to all in the forum. I am brand new to bikes, having only driven scooters for the last year or so. I have spent the last few years as an American pilot, a part time helicopter pilot, racing formula cars in SCCA and doing about any other pursuit that burns dinosaurs. Finally decided to get into bikes. REALLY fell in love with the Diavel and have decided to buy a 2011 Red Carbon one from Ducati Dallas. I am, of course, taking the driving courses to get certified and will be utilizing the bike for the first year as such:

a. Day time only
b. Dry only
c. No commuter time driving
d. URBAN MODE ONLY

Comments?

Thanks guys!

Mark Wyant
Dallas, Texas
I'm planning to do a full new riders series on my YouTube channel. Might be worth checking out I'll create a separate playlist for it when I get started. Sticking to Urban mode is a good idea. Even in that mode this bike has GOBS of power and can get you into trouble very quickly if you're too ham-fisted with the throttle. Take as many MSF and track riding classes as you can and it might be a good idea to get a cheap track bike to play with when you're working on upping your skills. Easier to throw away a $3k beater than your 20k Ducati.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Excellent advice upstream here...dmark clearly has his head on straight, and with his background in other high-power pursuits, I think he's going to quickly adapt and adopt.

Damn, he's got a super-model wife of a bike...!

I've been riding for three decades, and while I rode today (my first on the Diavel), throttle modulation around town was a bit eye-opening. I jumped right in with Sport mode (frankly, not having figured out yet how to select Touring or Urban). I'm eager to dial it down a little, in order to get a better feel for the bike all around. But who am I kidding...? I know mine will be in Sport mode most, if not all the time, once the bike becomes a comfortable extension of me.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.